Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 31,921 to 31,940 of 96,298

ThanosReXXX

@Joeynator3000 Ugh, that sounds horrible indeed. Hope you at least got a clean bill of health out of it...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Joeynator3000

Eh...I'll be fine, nothing serious.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Also interesting about Germany using "state." I wonder when they started and when the whole world decided to butcher the meanings of words.

State/country/nation are synonyms. They all mean the same thing. A state is not a political district. It's an autonomous sovereign entity. Germany should not have states. Germany is a state. It is not the same thing as a province, which is a political subdistrict.

The US very specifically used that term (and apparently so did Mexico, though I don't know a thing about the historical nature of states in Mexico), and the reason is in the name "The United States". And "The Union." I.E. the US structure (originally) was a structure of autonomous states - nations..I.E. New York and Virginia were two independent sovereign entities. All were members of the Union and agreed to share common functions/policy/etc. The US was not supposed to be a "state", it was supposed to be a union of states with common representation. Thanks to the results of the Civil War, then folding into the events of WWI, it somehow became accepted that states were little more than political districts of a single nation. It's all a butchery of both the meanings of words, and the written law of the constitution. The EU model more properly imitates the original design of the US. Individual states as members of a union, with a common set of defense, economy/trade/policy etc. I mean it's not a coincidence the EU was more or less designed based on the US (original) design, which obviously was itself a European design. Though the EU model is tailored for the distinct cultures of the European states and thus doesn't provide a common foreign representation, allowing each state it's own foreign emissaries, and so on. We just completely obliterated the design around the turn of the last century and turned it into a single actual state with a bunch of political sub-districts we confusingly call states. Heck, you're from a state that identifies as a republic (then again so does North Korea ) ....didn't you get the memo? CA and Texas are probably the only two states that proudly hold onto the idea of sovereign statehood.

Common reassignment of the meanings of words drives me up a wall. Especially when it conveniently repackages centuries of history and intended purposes of things into a soundbyte to dispose of.

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-Lee finally beat the game. Let me tell you. That took alot of out of me.

Side note for any of you guys..

I'm still not sure how multiplayer for wolf Youngblood works. I bought the game. Can someone download the trial version and play the entire game with me? If so, Second part, does anyone want to download the trial version and play the game with me?

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Meh, it is the same. At least structure-wise. And remember: the US is still pretty young, compared to pretty much most of the world, so the evolution of states and their interactivity (or lack there of) has hardly stepped out of infancy.

Take the Netherlands for example: originally 12 provinces, culled down to 7, 7 provinces, now divided up into 12, and all of them completely autonomous during most of the middle-ages. Only in times of war, calamities and so on, did they work closely together, and decided upon things for the good of the nation as a whole, but other than that, pretty much the same as your idea of states. Only since the late 1700's - mid-1800's did it turn into a Dutch State as a whole. Before that, it was the covenant and/or the Union of the Seven Provinces.

The Frysians are still sovereign, by the way: they have some kind of special status, because of their separate language and so on, which is not a dialect, as in other regions of the country.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

Guess what? Louisiana has Parishes...

@NintendoByNature Nice. Did you feel a little mentally worn out and empty once that was over? I do when I beat a game. As for Youngblood, that's exactly how it works. (remember the seed version of Starcraft? it's like that, but the whole game) I'll have to download the "Buddy" version now, I suppose. Never played a Wolf since 3D, but I'm willing to give it a go with ya.

@Joeynator3000 Colonoscopy. That's the word you were looking for you'll never look for again.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@Morpheel @HobbitGamer sweet! I'll prob try it out tonight and see how the menu looks and how I would add you. Haven't opened up the game yet so I'll be blind going into it. I'll need your freind code too morpheel if you wana try it out.

And yes @hobbitgamer I'm drained, emotionally broken all of the above and more

NintendoByNature

Joeynator3000

HobbitGamer wrote:

@Joeynator3000 Colonoscopy. That's the word you were looking for you'll never look for again.

...Yeah, that. lol

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting Oxygen Not Included soon since it's having a launch discount. (v1.0 is finally out)

Keep it PG-13-ish.

NintendoByNature

@Morpheel ok I'll add you when im home today. In a few hours or so. Prob won't be on til tonight but I'll give you a shout on here, same with hobbit and if you guys want to try, sweet! If Not, no biggie

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

My life feels so much richer, knowing so much about @Joyenator3000 's colon.

@ThanosReXXX Exactly though. And at that point it was still a kingdom, but yeah, that matches more closely the real meaning of the word states. It's really just the US (and maybe Mexico) and apparently Germany that completely *$#@$d up the meaning in the 20th century...

@HobbitGamer yep and Parishes are....not states LA is a state. But in New Truth that just means voting district, not an actual state.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - What a relief then! It’s super frustrating being stuck in a game you just want to finish. Hopefully running and gunning on demons will take your mind off it. I’m still working on The Messenger. I’m about halfway through the metroidvania portion. I haven’t had a lot of gaming time for the last month or so.

@RedderRugfish - Some of my experiences could just boil down to user error. I still play it, but in its prime, I was younger, had younger brothers messing around with it, then roommates and friends in college. I never really did mind losing a save file, it just meant playing a fun game again. I retired my launch 64 years ago when I happened upon a nice jungle green version and got memory cards for saves I cared about. Haven’t had too much trouble since.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Ninfan

I bought Mario kart 7 second hand .it runs very slowly. Should I buy a new one instead

Ninfan

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I do have to tell you that I gave you the short, "soundbyte" version of it, which you hate so much, but otherwise, I'd have to give you an even bigger headache, if I started to explain the intricacies of the Dutch provinces, which are not the same as provinces in other countries, and which are not just territorial entities, but they also have what is called deputized states (when literally translated. The closest English translation is probably Provincial Executives or County Council) and Provincial States/Provincial Councils within them...

The difference between the two is that the Deputized States develop and implement/carry out a policy, and is responsible for a policy, whereas the Provincial Council controls/checks policy development and policy implementation. So, basically implementers and controllers...

Head hurting already?

Now imagine living here, and knowing that because of all these mini governments, each province has their own policy on infrastructure, civil services, medical services and so on, and what you end up with is all kinds of different, individually calculated/determined costs for services and/or obligatory documents such as passports, parking permits and so on wildly varying in price all over the country, but also costs for inoculations and other kinds of medical treatments, that aren't part of the basic care package.

For example: if I was living in Eindhoven, one of the other big cities over here, and famous for being the home town of electronics giant Philips, then a new passport would cost me around $45. But because I'm living in Amsterdam, which is basically one of the most expensive cities in the country, perhaps also because of its importance and being the country's capital, I'd have to pay around $75 for that same document. And it's the EXACT same document, valid for the same amount of years, containing the exact same information as every other passport, acquired from any other city or town in the entire country...

Maybe your head still doesn't hurt after that, but I can assure you, that a lot of Dutch people have a more or less continuous headache because of all these weird rules and regulations, and all their variables...

By the way, as you know, I always like to check and double check what I say before I say it, to know if I'm making any kind of sense, and in doing so, I stumbled upon this Quora page. I have a feeling that you may be one of the few people that might actually find it interesting reading material, so that is why I decided to add the link to this comment. Enjoy reading it, if you decide to do so.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Joeynator3000

One good thing did happen from all of this, though...
...I discovered that I'm perfectly fine with ginger ale. lol

...pepsi is still better, though...

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Heavyarms55

I normally try to avoid broad statements like this but, one thing Japan absolutely does better than America is the way it has you paying your taxes. At least for ordinary people. There is no clunky filing system or piles of paperwork to fill out. They send you a bill and you can either pay at your local town hall, or, you can actually pay at convenience stores. Yeah, you can just take the bill to the local 7/11, Lawson or Family Mart and pay there. I just got back from paying mine and guess how long it took? I was in and out of the town hall in less time than it took to walk there! Not even 15 minutes!

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic