Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 31,861 to 31,880 of 96,476

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer It sounds to an extent like how the head IT/networking guy works where I am. However, the difference is that, if you can prove that you know what you're doing, he doesn't mind giving you access to things as needed. It sounds like your director won't move at all on that front.

Our director used to lock stuff down a bit less, but he had to close some access a little more. Not only to protect your casual email users from themselves, but also to protect some in-depth and physical server access from some who think they know what they're doing, but really don't. (I'm not implying this is correct in your case btw)

As for the winery....I definitely am enjoying it. I've had a catered meal, some cake, (normal) lemonade, red wine sangria, and an alcoholic mango slushie. I'll probably stop there for now. XD

@ThanosReXXX Heh, thanks! I'm mostly handling replies this evening so far, but might comb the rest of the forums since I don't have anyone to talk to right now. I rode with my mom, and since this is her side of the family, we might be here for awhile. To be fair, we're on vacation during the actual reunion next weekend, so she'll get a lot of the yakking in now.

No dictionary needed for Basscat; it was just a lame text substitution for @$$hat.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx Yeah, and I fully understand that there’s a structural integrity concern; doubly so with our HIPPA and record retention guidelines, let alone the typical concerns. I think it’s also a personality clash. While I’m usually pretty light heartened and easy going on here, my work is my baby and I’m very straightforward about that.
I’ve found that sometimes if I pull the vendor documentation and write an almost thesis-like white paper, I can get results faster. But even then it’s like pulling teeth. But I think they’re slowly getting better. When I took over my half of my department, I kinda came in like a whirlwind, bringing private sector changes and approaches to a public sector agency used to doing the same (sometimes antiquated) ‘ol thing.

@bimmy-lee Watching a silly zombie flick on Prime now; Anonymous Zombie. Some folks got to a remote farm to rehab, zombies somehow get tossed in. Good nonsense. Edit: random nudity for no real plot purposes.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

LuigibrineTheGreat

Got back from my vacay to MOA and Valleyfair, but a day late 'cuz my folks' car decided to have it's transmission water pump go out. Ugh. Got Three Houses tho!

Be yourself, no matter who you are!
For me, that's being madly in love with fictional characters. Plz don't judge.
Yes, my first anime was High School DxD. Don't ask or judge!
Switch FC: SW-0507-9503-1127 | 3DS FC: 1736-0165-7775 | Battle.net: Luigibrine#1151

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Ah, got it. Well, then I'll just replace the dictionary query for Basscat with one for "yakking"...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@HobbotGamer Wow, people are sure disliking your comment in that "Bethesda will provide fix for mandatory login in Doom Games" article. Some people are REALLY quick to push that thumbs down button...

Pathetic.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - Awesome, it’ll be my next movie, thanks. I’m of the opinion that random nudity should be in every horror movie. It’s just what I was raised to believe. I started watching something kind of insane last night, it made me feel vaguely like I felt the first time I watched Tim and Eric; I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson (A Comedy Show). It does bite T&E at times, and it’s hard to recommend because it’s crazy, but episode two had a skit with one of my favorite things: Completely unhinged Will Forte. This could be his craziest and finest work.

@ThanosReXXX - Yakkity yak (don’t talk back). Yakking is just two or more people conversing, a lot. It does have slight maternal implications, and connotes catching up or light hearted gossip. In the old song I referenced above, it’s from the perspective of a subservient individual being told/ordered to perform mundane household tasks by a parental figure.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Ah, of course. I kinda suspected, but I don't like to make assumptions, so I just asked to be sure. And as it so happens, I do actually know that song.

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I’m sure there’s a huge number, because folks don’t always like to admit that maybe one’s feelings actually aren’t caused by someone or something else, and we’re each responsible for our own reactions. Especially for something as trivial as a video game. Hey, it is what it is. 😁
@bimmy-lee I adore T&E comedy, I’ll have to check it out. The sheer randomness of it is what I enjoy.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer It sounds like half your problem is in revitalizing a dinosaur system, so to speak. And then with what sounds like an IT director stuck in their ways, you definitely have your work cut out for you. Perseverance, my friend!

@ThanosReXXX Yakking - excessive talking, chatter, "Mom-dad-can-we-go-home-it's-been-hours" chatter. XD

Edit: Never mind, bimmy apparently covered it. I even refreshed the page before posting, but apparently my phone went ahead and used the cached page anyway.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer It definitely IS the part of the internet that I really LOVE to hate. Makes me want to go all "parenty" and slap 'em across the face with the back of my hand, to knock some sense into them. The utterly senseless toxicity of it all sometimes really gets to me.

@Tyranexx Yup, bimmy beat you to it...

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - Well then, I can recommend giving it a spin on Netflix. Just ordered the first Labo kit for my daughter’s upcoming birthday. It’s on sale and she’s ready. I’ll see how my son does with it, and maybe we’ll get him the second kit for Christmas. Also, from a prior conversation, I picked up Video Kid after @NintendoByNature mentioned it was on sale last week. I’m bad at it, but it’s fun. References galore, and of course, Fred made it immediately worthwhile.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee I played for about 45 min and it's pretty fun. In short spurts though bc as you said it's pretty hard. The references are great. My absolute favorite is the vacation station wagon pulling the dog

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Haha, I haven’t noticed that Griswald wagon yet, that’s hilarious. Yeah, it’s a fun distraction. An arcade quarter gobbler. I have plenty of room on my Switch for games like that. I like having those options available. Ape Out and Downwell are two others I play that way and enjoy.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee @NintendoByNature I meant to bring up Video Kid again when NbN bought it. I’m also bad at the paperboy style, but I’m getting better! It really is a great “tiny bite” game every so often. My favorite cameo so far is Optimus Prime. I sometimes forget to not avoid him and I just end up moving right into his path.

#MudStrongs

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - Sorry I stole your thunder! A situation like that is irresistible to me. I must provide the definition. Nerdy English degree nerd I am.

limby-bee was a jerk.

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee we don’t need none o yer high falutin school words round these here parts 😛

#MudStrongs

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - I went offen got learned, but only a lil bit. You ain’t got to worry, I’m still a hillbilly. It’s in my dee enn aye. Ya cain’t change that.

limby-bee was a jerk.

RR529

Just got finished with a trip to Worlds of Fun (the big amusement park in the Kansas City area).

Pretty good time, though when we decided to reride the Mamba (the park's largest roller coaster) before leaving, my face got sprayed with what I hope was spit (as opposed to some other bodily fluid) from one of the riders further in the front. The worker who undoes all the restraints at the end of the ride was covering his face with his shirt when he was letting out some of the people in front of us too...

Also, my mother (who won't ride many of the larger rides) won an enourmous Luigi plush while we were on one ride... and simply gave it away while we were on the next...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tyranexx

Whew. Busy weekend is finally winding down. I think I'll have some time to do this thing this evening. Y'know, that thing where you push buttons and make characters on screens do stuff. What was it called again?....A videeya gayme?

@bimmy-lee Heh, no worries! You explained it slightly better than I could. I didn't have much time to think about the explanation. It's one of those words that I've always taken for granted since it comes up in my Midwestern dialect a lot.

@RR529 Hopefully it was just spit or highly diluted vomit. The worst thing I've ever had hit me on a rollercoaster was, thankfully, just someone's hat. I was even nice enough to pin it under my foot for the remainder of the ride, otherwise I'm sure it would've been lost for good. I did manage to find the owner.

Worlds of Fun is on my eventual theme park list. I'm a definite rollercoaster fan, though I can handle about any ride as long as there isn't a ton of fast spinning involved. I don't get sick, I just wind up with a lot of head pressure, usually followed by a bad headache.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic