Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 30,681 to 30,700 of 96,243

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Ah, sorry, thought the match had just started. Gefeliciteerd then! Two matches away from your ideal finals match.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

DenDen

We are going to win the cup!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Match started at 3pm over here, which is 8 hours earlier on the East Coast, so if you do the math, you were probably still sleeping...

@DenDen We'll see. Some tough matches ahead. I'm gonna win either way, since I'm supporting two teams...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

...Okay, what is it about summers? Everyone always assumes you have more ample free time vs. the rest of the year and schedules more stuff now. Some of us still work 40+ hours a week, y'know....

Any gaming that I do this weekend will most likely be today, though I may be able to squeeze in a little PoGo tomorrow. Today is chore and errand day, tomorrow is family/some 4th of July celebration day. It's not that tomorrow will be a bad day - I'll finally get to watch Toy Story 4 anyway - I just won't be home much.

@ThanosReXXX Squirrel Girl sounds like a fun albeit unorthodox concept. Still, I think I'll stick with a few of my personal favs in that universe. I slightly prefer DC because of a certain Caped Crusader and some of his Rogues Gallery, but Marvel definitely has its share of awesome characters too.

The hours spent roaming around are why I'm getting the impression that, overall, BotW will be less text-heavy. I doubt that much is read in that time frame if you tend to avoid NPCs and towns. I'm comparing that to the play-to-talk ratio though. And, while I've been able to avoid MOST spoilers (which is difficult, as the internet assumes that everyone and their grandmother has played the game by this point), I've seen some non-spoilery rumblings about where some didn't feel there was much to the overall story compared to some previous installments.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx That was exactly my point: it isn't that there's less text than in any of the other Zelda games, it's just that because this is the first time that it's an open world game, you have more chances to "avoid" NPC's, and as such have the opportunity to literally spend hours doing other stuff, and exploring the map all by yourself, without ever having to come across a humanoid NPC.

I explicitly say humanoid, because of course you'll come across plenty of animals and enemies, ranging from Bokoblins to those nasty tentacled Guardians that you'll probably remember either from the first reveal trailer of the game, or from them being available as Amiibos.

So, ultimately, the play-to-talk ratio in the game itself is more play, less talk, but the amount of interaction compared to other Zelda games is more or less the same. So only compared in it's own, Breath of the Wild bubble, the statement of it being less text-heavy is true.

Concerning comics characters: funny you should mention a preference for DC characters. When I first started collecting comics, the initial two series I began with, were the revamped Batman and Superman series from the eighties, and quite some time after that, I also started with Marvel, with Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, The Defenders and The Avengers. Later on, I broadened my horizon and also started to collect comics from a number of (then still) independent labels, such as Image, Top Cow, Chaos, Antarctic Press, Avatar, and Dark Horse.

After that, the collection grew even larger, because around mid-nineties, comics publishers, especially Marvel, more and more had the tendency to allow personal stories of characters to take a lead in a group story, often branching out into their own mini series, which in turn then made me also read the rest of the series of that specific character, such as Thor, Wolverine, Iron Man, and so on.

Meanwhile, DC had also triggered me on Green Lantern, The Flash and Justice League. And the rest is history...

Or, in other words: comics became too much of an addiction for me, because I literally spent hundreds each month, and at some point, I couldn't keep up anymore, with paying for what I had ordered, so after my comics dealer gave me some strong advice to seriously cut down on the number of series, which I found too hard to do, because I'm basically an all or nothing guy in that regard, I just decided to do a full stop, cold turkey, because I simply couldn't choose which ones to cut and which ones to keep.

It's still a sore spot on my soul...

But luckily, I still have gaming, to compensate for that loss, albeit only partially. And with gaming, I've finally found the resolve to do things with moderation, which basically is my mantra now.

Although... a couple of years ago, I discovered the GetComics website, so now I'm also dipping my toes into comics again, albeit digitally...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx I hear that. A work acquaintance said yesterday “Saturday night let’s get dinner!” Dunno what she was thinking, I’ve got stuff to do, haha. I’m about halfway done with things, getting some veggies I was out of now. And my pressure washer went kaput. Hope you enjoy Toy Story, I forgot it came out. I’m not a theater-goer though, so that’s no surprise. I did get to watch Wreck It Ralph 2 last night on Netflix, and enjoyed it.

I’m determined to make a second level in Maker 2 this evening. I’ve gotta save Graveyard Keeper progression for the late evening. As it turns out, the relaxing music and no-pressure gameplay makes me sleepy.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Some of the footage I have allowed myself to watch (though in limited amounts) involves a few creative ways to kill enemies. I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun in that regard. Guardians look like they'll also be...erm...fun to mess with. I am aware that Lynels are in this game and have seen their models, but not so much how they can be beaten. I just know they can also pose quite a challenge.

On comic books: I used to read a lot of kiddy series back in the day (Scooby-Doo!, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, etc.) and the occasional superhero comic, but I did collect the Batman Beyond issues for awhile if I could afford them. Unfortunately, there wasn't a dedicated comic store nearby by the time I became aware of them, and the store that did have them (on a small revolving rack) only had a limited selection. Some of them were short enough that I could get through them in the 20ish minutes mom spent shopping, but not all of them. XD I don't even believe that store sells them anymore. I do still own a few. Most were bought, but a small handful were given to me or inherited. Some aren't in the best shape since they've been read so many times.

The last series I recall reading were the Blackest Night and Brightest Day DC arcs that I borrowed from a friend a few years ago. Definitely an interesting read.

I've been trying to get back into manga (which I consider a form of comic book) in a limited fashion recently with My Hero Academia, but the going has been slow as there are other things that I wanna read too. I'm finally working my way through Hyrule Historia despite having owned it for at least six years....

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer Some of the crunch is admittedly due to the fact that my work week will be weird too. I'm off work both Tuesday and Wednesday due to the fact that I'll (hopefully) be getting Lasik done and doubt I'll be up do doing much the rest of Tuesday and maybe some of Wednesday due to the sedatives and (thankfully short, but still existent) recovery time. Due to how time off at my new job functions, as well as the nature of the parent business, the only true holidays we get off are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years; we get extra personal time to compensate for the less solid "floating" holidays as we aren't truly "closed" besides those three days. Therefore, my 3rd will technically function as my 4th as I don't wanna take too many days off. I'll still be home on the 4th, just working remotely. I'm trying to cut down on that time a bit earlier in the week. XD

That brings up a certain point though; you all likely won't hear much from me for about 24-36 hours this week unless they opt not to operate on my eyes.

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx Hope they get it done as scheduled and your recover shortly!
I’ve got weird “holidays”, too. Being an agency with some sites that are 24/7 direct care facilities, as well as 24/7 community access teams and the links with local and state emergency services, I’m never in a totally off mode. Usually those things don’t require much from my department outside standard 8-5, but I’m a fallback resource for minor issues for the UM department too. And the CEO has my number 😂 We take what comes our way, eh?

Anyone making anything tasty this weekend? I’m chopping stuff now to make some pepper steak.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer Thanks! It's something I've wanted done for awhile. I'm pretty nearsighted; I can't safely drive or do much of anything without glasses or contacts. I've primarily been a contact wearer for years as I hate glasses, but I've had to transition into glasses full-time temporarily since I have to be out of contacts for a set amount of time. I really, REALLY don't like them. XD Too limiting, some vision adjustments, plus lenses get dirty so easily....

I also work a typical 8-5 for the most part. The parent company I work for has service technicians that are on-call at all hours of the day and during a lot of holidays (where they both really make bank and have stuff break down), so the time off system is implemented the way it is out of both fairness and to adhere to state laws. The company I work for is a software development offshoot that serves their needs but sells some of our software to other businesses as well, but our main paycheck, benefits, and HR stuff all come from the parent company.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx My comic book store actually did have a broad selection, but even if it didn't, it wouldn't have mattered, because I always used the monthly Previews catalog to order straight from the US, so the comics store was more or less just a drop off/pick up point for my orders. The catalog can now be found online, and if your local store is a participant in its service, then you can use it as well:
https://www.previewsworld.com/
(select 'catalog' from the top menu bar on the home page, to browse and/or search for comics and merch)
Do keep it in check, and don't fly off the handle like I did, though...

I also ordered other stuff from there: merchandise such as T-shirts, figurines, video tapes (anime), and even games. Actually, while I'm typing this, I'm wearing my Evil Ernie T-shirt:
Untitled

And yes, I have a tendency to like the more evil comic book characters. Who could have guessed, huh?

Anti-Matter

Speaking about kiddie series....
Untitled
I dunno if this movie will be good or no, but Dora the Explorer in live action movie ?? 🤣🤣🤣

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Concerning Batman, here's some highly recommended reading, far as I am concerned:

Batman - Year One (which is the revamp I mentioned earlier)
The Killing Joke
Knightfall
The Dark Knight Returns

I can also heartily recommend the Kingdom Come graphic novels, by Alex Ross. They are about more than just Batman, because they feature the Justice League and all that, but still a highly entertaining and interesting read.

You can get any and all of them here. Saves you from having to buy them physically.

Some will probably not even be available anymore, and if they are, then they'll probably be crazy expensive.

EDIT:
Almost forgot: if you'd want to go ahead and start reading comics digitally, then you'll also need the best comic book reader program around:
http://www.cdisplayex.com/

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature wrote:

So how's everyone's weekend going

Ugh....
I think i will start my Calendar 2020 project on July 2019.
So many days has been wasted by playing video games and i almost didn't touch my Calendar 2020 project.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@NintendoByNature
Um....
My Anthro Animal Boxers / Kickboxers, actually from my neglected 2018 project. 😅
And if i have enough time, perhaps my Avian Kickboxers with full cast will be considered as additional Calendar 2020 project.
I have never made Animal boxers for my calendar projects so Calendar 2020 will be my first Animal boxers calendar.

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

@NintendoByNature His drawings for calendars are pretty cool.

@RedderRugfish I’m gonna jump into MM2 in a bit, maybe my pitiful level will have more than 5 tries 😂 I’m just not that creative

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic