Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 30,561 to 30,580 of 36,537

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx yeah, Georgia summer is here now. Gonna be up to 101 Friday. It’s not so bad by itself, but it’s always accompanied by 90-100% humidity and nary a breeze. It’s 11pm and still 78 now.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx think you said you were in southern Illinois. Furthest South ive been for work, is herrin,IL. That's on rare occasions though. Only if i have appointments and never for cold calling.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer That's what I dislike here, too: the humidity. The heat itself isn't normally bad, but the humidity gets pretty high sometimes. By far the most humid place I've ever been to is New Orleans in July.

@NintendoByNature I'm somewhat familiar with that general area - I considered going to college near there even. But believe it or not, that's actually farther south than here. XD

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Mega Man Battle Network 2 (Wii U VC), Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Trajan

Does anyone think there will ever be a dual screen system again? With the failure of the Wii U, and Nintendo basically merging their console and handheld business, the only real future for it is phone and console integration.

I just can't imagine playing a game like SMT Strange Journey on a single screen.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Anti-Matter

@Trajan
I'm thinking about Nintendo HDS with replaceable Top screen.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

HobbitGamer

Gonna start surgery on the truck. I’ll put pics on Twitter for anyone interested, but you’d have to ask @Morpheel How to find them. I barely could figure out the posting part.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

rjejr wrote:

For $6 lb my boneless chicken filets better already be cooked. Though I don't do organic or any of that healthy stuff, I only buy what's on sale, so that may be why $4 is my ceiling. Though I rarely buy raw anything anymore. When your family motto is "Too much work", well I gotta lead by example so we eat a lot of unhealthy pre-prepared meals. My cooking raw meat is limited to like once a week....And I certainly don't live in a McMansion - nobody calls them castles anymore - but your typical "house". A lot of people around here call it a "starter home" b/c it looks small on the outside, but w/ 2 full bathrooms, a dining room, living room

This right here. This is my people!!

rjejr wrote:

For me, the only pro of house owning - rather than renting - is when I die my kids will have an inheritance. Other than that - and not worrying too much about being evicted - the American dream of home ownership has taken a beating over the past 20 years or so. We'll have our house paid off in 2 years, which is great, but we'll still owe $10,000 per year - every year - in real estate taxes. And another $1,000 in home owners insurance. So overall it's a drag.

Well, quieter neighbors usually.....apartment noise and bustle would be the sucky part. That and getting Amazon deliveries. No way I'm actually going out shopping in that zoo of a shopping lot, that used to be 20 minutes away and how is an hour away because every road from here to there is more of a parking lot than a road, and then you get there only for them to be out of what you wanted and they cheerily tell you you could order online and have it delivered right to your door like it's a special service only their amazing brand can provide.

But yeah, the costs, the taxes, the maintenance......it often seems not worth it. They say ownership is cheaper than renting. They forget to include the maintenance costs. The cheap wood-and-plastic houses they build are only good for 30 years until you basically have to tear it down and build a new one....conveniently the length of a mortgage!. The new fad around here is luxury "townhomes/ carriage homes/ insert some Orwellian word here homes" which roughly translates to "it's just like an apartment but you have to get a high interest mortgage, pay retail for it, and pay taxes for life, pay maintenance for life (when THEY tell you to do so, with whatever they tell you to buy)....but otherwise you're just living in an apartment for double the money plus a stipend to the national chain building company that actually owns the lot."

rjejr wrote:

Oh, my 2nd bathroom was an add-on. $28,000. In fact my house is already kind of paid off, we really just owe the $30,000 home loan for the bathroom. We rolled our mortgage and home equity line of credit into 1 loan. And since the #TrumpTaxScam I can't claim the combined interest and taxes.

Somehow none of the finance industry ideas never make sense to me. Loans equity, interest, blah blah. I don't know, I still live in a world of "if I have cash in my hand I can buy it, if I don't I can't"....none of that odd credit nonsense will ever make sense to me at all beyond mortgages themselves...which still don't make sense.

@ThanosReXXX It's probably hard to compare European life to American in terms of cost. On the surface, your cost of living sounds extraordinarily high by standards here....and it likely is. And when I think Europe, and I think Amsterdam my mind automatically thinks "really expensive to live in." So your cost expectations are going to be on the high side to average here, I think. You're "the rich people" me and rjejr complain about But not in the context of where you live. And being from CA it must seem like a bargain since CA is the far, far, far extreme of costs of living in the US as it is to the point that it's really a different country there anyway. Yet, on the other hand, your other costs are different. When you talk about food prices, are you including VAT which there is baked in? Recall here you have to add sales tax to those prices. 5-12% depending on locality. Plus like rjejr and I have been talking. The taxes. Real estate tax (township AND county!), school tax, trash fees, sewer fees, obviously water/phone/internet/electric/(gas if you have it), Then there's the township income tax, state, federal, then the surcharges, social security, medicare, various random other taxes. Then there's the insurances. Then health insurance (which your company may pay some of, all of, but that only works as long as you never actually use it...then you're on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars that it doesn't cover but you never really understood that, at which point you're best bet is bathing in the ocean in a thunderstorm during a sharknado.) etc. etc. You guys still do pensions. We get "social security" (or rather probably won't, we just had our money confiscated for decades to pay for it for other people and by our time we'll be sleeping on a park bench waiting for the crows to pick us apart. At least Switch is portable!)

By the time you're done. You get your choice. Chopped chicken or Nintendo games. The chopped chicken entertains you for half an hour. The Nintendo game entertains you for 40+ hours. I pick the Nintendo game. If taco tuesday kills me at least I went happy trying to get that last red coin with a Yoshi egg.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

I don't want boneless bananas because banana is not Exo / Endo skeleton plants.
Plants doesn't even have bones.
Except Dry Piranha Plants.

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx I've been to an Aldi once. It was tiny and only had a limited selection. It's not local either so there's that, but I don't know, I didn't find much to like about it. Then again I have no less than THREE Whole Foods around me. The parking lot looks like a Prius dealership. And no car has less than 5 bumper stickers. Weird store. Pretty. They don't carry a single product you've ever heard of, and everything is 175% more expensive than other stores for the same product category. Some of the stuff looks interesting. But it's very much a place for those with cash to separate their lives from the peasantry. I've bought like 10 things there ever, all hardlines, not food, mostly because they were the only store with it and were cheaper than Amazon proper for some reason. I felt like a pariah. It's like showing up to a wine tasting in a straw hat and overalls. you know you don't belong there. you know everyone can tell you don't belong there. But you just pretend it's a normal day regardless.

Yeah, you missed the good Pizza Hut era. And an....interesting...Nintendo era Actually you missed the last good era in general. I can't imagine the perspective of you or even worse anyone younger than you that was born into the current imaginary world where nothing is based on reality and it's all a woven fiction without the memory to realize what was broken. That's what they count on of course, it's by design. All you need to do is change the world until the last person old enough to remember the old world dies off, then the new reality is the only reality. Nobody even knows how much worse it is because to them it's all that ever existed.

For Pizza Hut, the big thing is it's just not actually even the same food. Or anything close. Back then it was true actual restaurant-made Chicago deep dish pizza. Served at the table smoldering hot in a thick black aluminum pan. What they call "pan pizza" now isn't anything close to deep dish. It's a "self rising crust" type frozen pizza crust.

I actually got to make a pizza in their kitchen once with a field trip as a kid. Back then the idea of letting 20 kids into a commercial foodservice kitchen didn't raise any red flags. Today the lawyers would be out for millions and the store would be shut down by the board of health. THAT is how different a world today and yesterday is. They made the dough fresh. The toppings were chopped. The sauce was in big bins, they'd simmer it a bit in the pots like a real pizza store. It was lined into the pan manually. It was real restaurant food.

Today, it's literally a par-baked frozen shell from a bag, a can of sauce, and bagged frozen toppings. It's literally a frozen pizza reheating facility and nothing more.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Anti-Matter

@HobbitGamer
Green monster?
Is that called "Envy" ?

My Top 6 games :

rjejr

@ThanosReXXX Are you taking about "gravity chairs"?
Untitled

My mother gave me 2 of those, they were too big for their deck that my dad built, but I left them out in the rain and they rusted to pieces after a winter. 1 fell apart while I was trying to recline it. So now I only buy plastic. Which probably after the summer will brittle and break, but at least it was cheap. And light.

I'm actually throwing out 6 old sling aluminum chairs that are in good condition frame wise but the material all tore up. Anybody want to repair them they'll be in front of my house on Friday.
Untitled

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

rjejr

@NEStalgia Was I supposed to be cc'd on that last reply, b/c I never got an email from your quotes? Anyway, I read it and I'm here now so...

"....none of that odd credit nonsense will ever make sense to me at all beyond mortgages themselves...which still don't make sense."

You'll never be President w/o a deeper appreciation of going into debt $1B times over. It's all about the leveraged credit. Buy a home, owe the bank $300k. Then borrow on that from another bank another $30k to improve the home, then borrow $10k from your credit cards to pay the taxes. And whoever dies w/ the most debt to the bank wins. Bank ownership > home ownership.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

NEStalgia

@rjejr Got to love powder coated Chinese steel. I have patio chairs from the 80's that are just now starting to fail. I've since then bought several China-tastic sets that lasted about 8 months. "Recycle!" Bite me. Make stuff that doesn't break and you won't need to worry about it going in a landfill.

Yeah I wasn't sure if the quotes tag or not. For other people I seem to get emails when I'm in the quote they're hitting, but when I do it no one seems to get it.

LOL, yeah, sounds like the American way. I'll never get it. The whole debt thing. If I have $10 I can spend $10. That's it. Simple. How it was meant to be. How it used to be. This bizzare system where people with all this debt that live more luxuriously than I, with way more purchasing power etc than I, yet, when you run the actual numbers they technically have less actual money than a high school kid....they have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and I don't owe anyone a dollar.........I don't understand the world around me at all.

NEStalgia

rjejr

@NEStalgia Yeah, those old chairs were nice and comfy - 17 years old this summer and are still rock solid structurally - but the material finally gave on all of them. First 1 went 4 or 5 years ago, been sitting in the corner ever since, last one a few days ago. So I bought 6 "steel" stackable ones at Target for $15 each. I'll be impressed if they last 5 years. 3 years and I'll be ok. Since they are stackable I will store them every winter in the shed so that should help extend their life a year or 2. The blue is nice.

Debt is a good thing if you're wired that way. My wife knows a divorced women who barley works who has 2 kids and is always traveling places on vacation. We have no idea how she does it, her ex doesn't have much either. My brain is just wired to live within my means, like you. I only added the 2nd bath b/c I'm pretty sure when we sell the house we'll get an extra $20k for 2 full baths rather than 1, so it kinda paid for itself. I'm having a very hard time justifying $40k for a new kitchen though. It might add $10k to the selling price. It's ugly, but it functions fine. Id' rather borrow the $40k and take the family to Paris and Rome, or Disneyworld. But if we get the house paid off in 2 years we'll probably borrow the $40k and redo the kitchen then. Or just sell the house and move. Who knows.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

NEStalgia

@rjejr Moving's a lot of work. I can't see you doing that.

Vacation debt? That's worse than remodel debt!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, the whole cost of living thing already occurred to me, after we were having the in my opinion cheap chicken fillet discussion. I suddenly remembered a long time ago, when I visited Sweden, and found out that the cost of living there was about twice as much as in the Netherlands, but the people that live there, also make twice as much money, so for them, the prices are the same as for me in the Netherlands. It's just that if you look at these prices as a foreigner, they seem ridiculously high, or at the very least too expensive.

As for adding tax/VAT: that's only for imported goods and/or stuff like cigarettes and alcohol. The prices
I mentioned before, are net prices we pay in the super market. There's not going to be any added cost, when I pay at the checkout.

It is funny though: I always thought, as I mentioned before, that the situation in the States was a bit better.
When I see the news, I even see rather average families living in houses bigger than mine, and having kitchens that you can live in, but apparently, that's only a very small part and particular of the States, and not representative of the country as a whole.

I suppose we could look at average numbers, such as average wages, average rent, and so on, to verify that apparently, living in the States (although it appears in smaller houses) is on average still cheaper than in the Netherlands, and/or people are making less money on average.

For reference's sake: the average monthly net income over here is around € 2100 ($2343.25), and the average monthly rent is about €700 ($781.08). And over here, we also have pension plans and other basic benefits included in the wages, so besides having to take care of insurance for your car, your house and your health, there are basically no other primary costs to take care of.

Well, other than having to buy the monthly groceries, obviously.

@rjejr "gravity chairs"

If that's what they're called in your neck of the woods, then yes. Except mine are completely made of plastic,
so no such problems like rust and all that. You do have to put them away, or put them under a cover, because eventually they will get weathered by the elements. Mine look a bit like these:
Untitled
Except with the added leg part, to make them look more like the ones you posted earlier.

Is that second picture at the pool actually from your chairs, or just an example?

I do feel for you and NEStalgia, though, having to eat so unhealthy all the time. No amount of oriental meditation and/or exercises in the local library is going to help your body to deal with all that built up waste, that processed food causes...

But in all seriousness: like @Tyranexx, I also really only cook a couple of times a week, and the rest gets divided into portions and put into the freezer, serving as stock/supply, for the month to come. But any and all meals are prepared mainly with fresh produce, so even though I basically live off of what I've got stocked in the freezer, none of it is junk food or bad stuff.

But, like any man, I do of course eat the occasional pizza, burger and fries, or go to a Chinese restaurant or something, but other than that, it's all of my own making. I used to be quite the sports type, but haven't been anymore for decades, so I have to compensate by at the very least eating healthy and trying to minimize my unhealthy goods intake, such as sugar and unnatural fats, otherwise my current 10 kilo overweight might double up in no time flat...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, the tax thing, I hear drives Europeans nuts here. Here you always add state or state + municipal tax at the checkout atop the sticker price. And in some places it's confusing, such as fresh unprepared food like the chicken not being taxable but things such as salad dressing being taxable, so food is even more particular. In general retail it's 5%-12% additional at checkout versus sticker depending on location, but also depending where, it doesn't apply to all items...so unless you're running a lot of calculations in your head, you find out the price after you check out. Which used to cause people a ton of time. Now everyone except me pays with plastic so they really don't know how much they paid even after checkout. I sit there counting pennies like the good old days.

If you go by TV, you'd think everyone lives in these gloriously large houses that's always modern and up to date with the latest trends. Heck the Nintendo commercials always showed this nice "lifestyle brand" living rooms.....where nobody actually lives Though I wonder what news they show there? Here you always see these ghettoland crackhouses on the news... but the commercials show everyone living in lifestyle communities.

Of course around here half the houses do have those kitchens you could live in (and they never use them except for entertaining parties, they order restaurant food the rest of the year), but here isn't most of the country...here is some luxury retreat for finance brokers and corporate VPs..... It used to be farmland of course.... I see more NY plates than local plates year after year, though I've heard that's happening everywhere in the country, like rats leaving a sinking ship (sorry @rjejr ) See, it's attractive here, because for a mere $800,000 you can buy a house that would cost $1.4+M up there! A BARGAIN! So they make their bucks there, spend it here, then drive the costs up for those of us that were already here.

Of course it depends what part of the country the news is from that you're seeing. If it's CA most of the houses probably are that big.....because most of the rest of the population is sleeping in cars.

"For reference's sake: the average monthly net income over here is around € 2100 ($2343.25), and the average monthly rent is about €700 ($781.08). And over here, we also have pension plans and other basic benefits included in the wages, so besides having to take care of insurance for your car, your house and your health, there are basically no other primary costs to take care of."

That average is definitely a bit above the national average here (probably below the local average here by few miles though.) But it comes down to the other fees as well. (That's a problem for a country this size, they talk about national averages and I feel like they're talking about Morocco. They'll talk about an average income and I'm thinking, around here you couldn't even buy the can of arsenic to poison yourself with on that. Average rents are probably $1100-1300 around here for tiny apartments. But as you say, yeah there's all those other costs built in you guys don't have.

Sad thing is for ownership, the taxes alone.....your annual rent is less than just the SCHOOL taxes I pay for my kitchenless hovel, and that doesn't even include real estate taxes, that doesn't even cover actually paying for the home, maintenance, etc.. So assume costs of quadruple or quintuple. And that doesn't cover utilities, trash, sewer, medical, SS, and Medicare deducted from that gross pay, and you're supposed to be stock and fund investing for retirement (yeah right.) Meanwhile grocery product sizes keep going continuously down while the prices creep slightly up. They like to introduce Euro style living and costs here without factoring in all the other costs we already pay...then it becomes luxury. Thus, Whole Foods.

Those school taxes...they go up every year....and they keep building luxury schools that look like hotels. But those incoming NY finance brokers want the best (free) schools for their kids, and get their own kind on the school board to make the spending decisions, and everyone has to pay for it!

So they like to boast how much we make here and that our taxes are lower than Europes, but they neglect to mention we pay a lot more for a whole lot of things that you guys don't, and that our income tax is lower, but we have dozens of other taxes from all sides that adds up, probably, to more, and of course, no pensions and a failing SS ponzi scheme so we know when were old we'll be packing boxes in an amazon warehouse for minimum wage when real companies don't want us anymore

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic