Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 30,461 to 30,480 of 32,995

Morpheel

I don't think you'll find fish that hasn't been refrigerated in some form unless you fish it yourself and cook it right there.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia The grates on the windows are passive, but the built-in systems aren't. Those round caps I showed you, have three settings, making the opening all around it either smaller or larger, and there's a switch in the kitchen, that also has three settings: off, 1 or 2. The latter obviously being the highest setting and offering the strongest air extraction. All the pipes run through all floors of the apartment building, all have their own controls in the separate apartments, and all exit on the roof of the building.

And it works perfectly. If your house stinks for days after having cooked anything, then you might want to send your building's owner over here for some lessons about building in some actually decent and useful air filtration systems. Dykes aren't the only thing that the Dutch are good at building...

But indeed, if you use the kitchen long enough, some fat/oil residue will build up on the walls and cabinets hanging in the kitchen. But that is also why we keep kitchens clean, as we should, so the residue doesn't get a chance to build up.

If you don't, then any kitchen will get greasy over time. On a side note: I should have probably stressed that MY apartment doesn't have any hood above the stove, doesn't mean that other people over here also don't have it...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Oh, ok, so it is active external ventilation.

The recirculators I'm talking about, common to electric stoves here, do not exhaust anything externally at all. IT just blows the air through a charcoal filter and back into the room. Needless to say it doesn't really work that well, and usually the house has a haze of oily smoke if you cook anything that smokes up at all like meat. You get shiny hair though! Every particle of food that exited as steam or odor from the pan is blown right into the room, just passing through a basic filter first. It's not even a cheap vs. expensive thing. Some upscale luxury apartment buildings are still installing those things because external venting isn't "green." Gas is mandated to vent externally...but lots of places don't have gas.

Basically the end result is Japanese cooking si the only way to go. Except the fish isn't really suitable Everything else is microwaves and crock pots.

But do we need any windmills here? j/k

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - The filets themselves are frozen, and then packed on ice. The working definition of fresh when it concerns food in my parts is “never been frozen” (or preserved in any way). The grocery store I worked for could not advertise the fish as fresh because it had been frozen. There was a sign above the meat counter that said “Fresh Market & Seafood”. The only way a restaurant can refer to fish as fresh is if it hasn’t been frozen.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia The only time I get real smoke in the house while cooking, is when I forget that the fire is set to high, and I walk away for a moment too long, or when I try barbecuing indoors...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I'll elaborate again: for the fish specialty stores, the fish is transported from wherever it's caught, in cooled trucks, and the fish is stored in crates that have crushed ice in them. Just to keep the fish cool. It isn't completely deep-frozen, just kept at low temperatures during transport (edit: basically, much like how you would cool a freshly bought fish at home, in your refrigerator), so it is indeed still fresh.

Specialty stores over here only buy whole fish, so they do all the cutting, smoking and what not themselves.
Only supermarkets get their fish already cut up/processed, pre-frozen, and then they're put in their cooled glass door cabinets (where they're allowed to thaw out again), like you'll find in any supermarket anywhere, if it concerns meats, packed vegetables, or sea food.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Much of the fish in any type of store near me was probably caught closer to your home than mine. It’s processed below deck and put into deep freeze. It can then take weeks to reach our shores, and then it has to travel thousands of miles inland before it makes it to me, where it’s finally thawed in a meat locker or counter. That’s why it can be difficult to get fresh seafood (recently caught, never frozen), as NEStalgia mentioned, depending on where you live in the States.

bimmy-lee

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, I can imagine, with the distances it has to travel over there. This is just a postage stamp-sized country in comparison, so anything is anywhere within a day at most, over here. From the coast to Amsterdam, is only a matter of mere hours.

Anti-Matter

BacklogBlues wrote:

Earthlock physical now live at Super rare games and only $9 more than digital.

GAAH...!!!
It was too late to realize if the 93% of 5000 copies has been sold. 😞
Oh, well....
I will hunt from Ebay.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - You’re lucky in that regard. If I were to visit Holland, I would eat seafood at every meal. The North and Baltic seas are home to some of the finest white fish in the world. From what I’ve seen watching international cooking shows, I would enjoy your preparation methods as well. Some day.

bimmy-lee

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Interesting, didn't know that exact phenomenon is known as a 'blue zone". I've heard of some of those places and their centenarians but didn't know there was a specific name for it.

Yep, we definitely have a similar eating style overall. I can't claim to be free of animal protein most of the time since I eat an egg almost daily, but I do have days, depending on my cooking cycle, where beans are my primary source. I have 2-3 cooking nights a week, which normally consist of me preparing a set amount of meat or beans to eat on for 2-4 meals. Most of my animal protein normally consists of chicken and salmon (I'm nowhere near the ocean, so fish typically has to be shipped and is somewhat expensive...otherwise I'd buy more than four servings worth every two weeks), but I do stock some ground beef packages in my freezer; these are local - from my dad's own stock - but I probably only prep a package every other month on average. I will order a steak or other side of lean beef when eating out on occasion though.

As for breads....I only stock sprouted grain bread at home but will eat white bread or rolls as a rare treat. Part of it is because some restaurants just don't have alternatives, and some forms of "wheat" bread here still have normal white flour thrown into the mix.

That's another thing...the cost. I definitely spend more on groceries than I used to. I probably average about $20-$30 USD more per trip than I used to. The trade off is worth it IMO, but I also understand how prices for healthier foods scare people off. Plus, as much as I try to plan ahead for meals, one in a great while I still need to make a sudden fast food run. I normally behave and try to make better decisions, but once in a great while I still splurge a bit.

Not sure when I'll get around to that documentary...hopefully this weekend at some point. Saturday will be pretty lax, but Sunday is busy.

Edit: I also absolutely love most seafood, but I admittedly haven't tried my hand with anything outside of fish very much. I love shrimp for example....Hmm...Might see what I can do with that. Since a restaurant that offers grilled shrimp closed, the only kind you can get around here is the fried sort. Unfortunately I know that the shrimp will have been frozen at some point in any form.

@NEStalgia That's something I don't fully get in some cases: how processed food is generally cheaper than some healthier stuff. Some of it is based on brand and import costs and such, but when you consider some of the ingredients used in some processed foods, you'd think they'd cost more.

Something I read once said that you should consider how much you're paying in terms of the nutrients and other beneficial things that your body will be getting, but they still doesn't change the higher price.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Morpheel

I don't know what's weirder, the fact that I caught a cubone that became a latios in Pokémon Go (the latios was already mine, the cubone wasn't added at all to my box, so I guess the result screen defaulted to the last Pokémon I caught?) or the fact that there's gonna be a live action movie about teen Dora the Explorer that looks more like a parody.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee worse, a lot of it comes from China... And they no longer have to tell us... A LOT of packaged food comes from China now. Yummy! I love Chinese food... But not food that came from China unless it's tea.

@Tyranexx process food has less waste, cheaper processing, storage, transportation, shelf life, and stability. All that costs way more than the food itself "Better living through science!"

I miss real food... But it's so impractical in my case

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - And it’s probably all carp. I was just reading a few weeks ago about how much of our shrimp now comes from China. I can only imagine that’s going to change for the time being, at least until we lose the trade war.

bimmy-lee

NEStalgia

@Morpheel live action? Teen Dora? I'm thinking Selena Gomez in Lara Croft hot pants is probably the way this will go.....

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Ha, you’re right of course. This one, the last one, the next one: we’ve already lost. We’re like action junkies pretending we’re not going back to the horse track. Ever. Again. Until we do.

bimmy-lee

BacklogBlues

If any one wants a physical copy of Earthlock(RPG) theirs only 2% left at Super Rare Games for only $9 more than digital.

Edited on by BacklogBlues

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
SHADOWRUN: SEGA GENESIS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Anti-Matter

@BacklogBlues
I was late to realize if the pre order of Earthlock has been started yesterday. 😫
My second chance to get Earthlock in physical is from Ebay.... even i have to pay more. 😔

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

BacklogBlues

They still have some @Anti-Matter but less than1%

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
SHADOWRUN: SEGA GENESIS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic