Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,481 to 29,500 of 30,555

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter It's not about reading the reply, it's about giving a useful answer to it, or at least a polite acknowledgment. And of course, if you did choose to give Instagram a go, then we wouldn't mind hearing about it.

@NEStalgia I dunno. I only check by alerts, in the upper right corner of the page. The emails get sent to one of my anonymous email accounts, that I only visit once or twice a month.

As for those keyboard differences: typical, didn't know that. I figured that since we use the exact same key mapping, we should also be able to type the same letters and/or accents on letters. And what else is the use of being able to select other key mappings? All of that works perfectly fine on my end.
Short cuts outside of the <alt-number combination> also don't work on your end?

For example, type a double colon, and immediately after that an e, a, u or o and you should get this:
ë, ä, ü, ö.

On a side note: ASCII codes aren't standard learning here either, but I did learn about them when I did my IT/helpdesk/telesales education back in the day, and we're talking 2000 here, so quite a while ago already.

I figured most of us would actually know about these. My bad for making that assumption then, I guess.
I do now immediately wonder how the heck anyone in the States is able to order an über...
Nah, just kidding. I know it isn't spelled like that. But it did make for a decent joke, though

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

On a more useful an interesting note: Nintendo World Report just put up a comparison video of Mortal Kombat 11 Switch vs PS4. The differences are minimal, the most evident being no HDR and subsequent effects/advantages on the Switch version on the left, and an ever so slight difference in resolution, but hardly noticeable, except for the more resolution sensitive OCD types...

That frame rate is buttery smooth, though, so a job well done by mr. Boon and his team, far as I am concerned.

Have a look, everyone:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

That Kano fatality. DANCE!!!

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

1UP_MARIO

In comparison it looks great.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Morpheel

@SheldonRandoms we live in a time where blockbuster is a custom-made set piece for historical dramas.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@ThanosReXXX I've got my keyboard set to ''British English'', and it removes the ability to add diaereses on vowels. No idea why; but since I do 95% of my typing in English, it's a lot easier this way, since it also defaults every dictionary to English.

Octane

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Ahh yeah, I go by the emails. I haven't actually opened my alerts panel in years...I have a few thousand up there

Nope, those typing shortcuts do nothing. The OS has to be set to a non-US language for that kind of thing to work. But then it of course messes up other things like date formats and currency formats not being US format, and expected US behaviors to not work right, etc. It's a mix of the keyboard hardware and the OS settings that sets what character shortcuts you can get and how. With US_Eng OS and US 85 keyboard (like most laptops) you're stuck with MS Office or copy and pasting each accented character. With US 105 keyboards you can do the alt+ sequence, but that leaves out non-numberpads (I hate numberpad 105 boards just for the ergonomics of it, as well)

The lack of easy ability to type umlauts is probably the reason it isn't written like that.

We have a simple character set with English, but we make up for the simplicity of character variety with an absurd amount of oddly specific yet always conditional grammar rules. Asian languages may be hard and difficutlt from English, but I really feel for them trying to go from that to English. Going from simple characters to thousands of individual characters is painful memorization. Going from thousands of individual characters to 28 that somehow makes several hundred times the number of sounds and doesn't actually have consistent grammar rules must be truly painful if it's not your first language.

@Morpheel Hard to believe. I still think of Blockbuster as the monolithic corporate chain crushing the real stores under their streamlined corporate same-ness. I also think of it as the store that required a credit card back when people didn't tend to have credit cards....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Octane In Office, you mean? That's just a one time setting, so hardly worth the trouble switching standard key mappings for. And I'm a US native, so that at the very least should have you wondering how I can get along just fine with the standard US keyboard setting in Dutch versions of Windows. (although I do have the system language in English, but it still registers as a Dutch OS in general)

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I suppose it is/can be confusing for Asian people, but English, or actually most Western languages are FAR less complex than Asian ones. Not just because of the smaller alphabet, but also because of the relative stability of the languages over the ages, ignoring for a small moment my earlier musings on the idiocy of some countries wanting to modernize/change words in their language, just for the sake of change itself...

As for those keyboard settings, it still doesn't make any sense to me. My OS (Vista. And yes, I know, but it is a highly customized one, that has all the security and modern abilities that it needs) is in English, keyboard is US American (QWERTY), key mapping is US American as well, and so are all related formats such as time and dates, so I've got all the same settings as you, probably. And ASCII codes are international, no even universal, so they should work all around the world. It's probably just a software setting somewhere, nothing more, since all PC's are basically the same in that regard.

But anyway, enough about dry musty topics like key mappings and weird Windows OS settings. How about that Mortal Kombat comparison video, huh?

EDIT: Kinda weird and/or even slightly moronic to not use the alerts/new messages panel on the site you're on, if you ask me, since that's what it's here for. And it's far easier to use as well, since while you're already here, it would be rather weird not to, and having to first go to your mail account to see if you have an NLife reply seems kinda superfluous, if you ask me.

That's two sites you need to log on to, unless you're always logged into your email, which no sane person should do, by the way. Screw desktop Outlook...

But in all seriousness: I use a second account for hobby related sites and forums, to keep my private life away from that. And of course also my business correspondence, although that's something that just came in handy later on in life. I've always had this second account, so I could more easily keep everything apart.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

Eh, MK comparison isn't too interesting to me. I liked MKX, but DoA6 and Tekken 7 are the fighters that have my attention at the moment

I'm much more likely to see emails than proactively checking a different panel in a specific website for updates. And yes, my email is always open Seems weird to me to not be always in your email. Both home and work, I've always had it always open....since Eudora was the main mail client, and usually instantaneous responses to everything are needed. Though the account that gets these messages isn't always the primary one up, so I do have to change tabs to read those, because, like you, I have a few different accounts for a few different things, though I run the domain for most of them

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Don’t worry, at the end it was us store managers getting crushed by our Dish Network overlords.

I use an American English keyboard and keep all sorts of things out of my bowels. That’s my contribution to that conversation.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
I understand.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter From now on, I'm going to call you the master of short answers...

@NEStalgia No, YOU'RE weird...

But seriously: I just like to keep work and private life separated, so I'm sure as hell not going to be logged in to my mail account all the time. After office hours are mine, and mine alone. People that really need to reach me, have my smart phone number anyway, so that takes care of that.

I still don't see what's so difficult, cumbersome, troubling and/or whatever you wanna call it about clicking on a panel with your own avatar thumbnail on a website that you're already bloody on anyway.
Whenever I go to NLife, the upper right corner is the first thing that I see and open. What else is an account for,
if you're not using it on the site itself, as intended?

And here I was, thinking that only young people were doing the whole "why do things the easy way, if you can do them the hard way" thing...

@AlohaPizzaJack Wait, what? When did bowel contents become a topic on here? Or wait, was that a couple of pages ago, when @NEStalgia mentioned almonds and @Octane tried to sell his fake tofu yogurt to us?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

subpopz

@ThanosReXXX I'm the same way. Work email and needless contact is a no when I'm off. I'm not on the clock, I don't have to talk
Personal email or facebook or anything else, I might check once a day (sometimes not). Don't like being instantly accessible to everyone at any given time, or expected to be (except the family & friends who have my smartphone number to call or text).

subpopz

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX lol, no private and work email are separate but private email between online shopping and personal communication is still an always available thing. I don't do social media.... All communication is email or forums. So email is always there. And it's a nice push notification when i get tagged so it shows up with my other emails and i can do the lazy @rjejr thing and not click any extra things and just hot the reply button in the email to get taken to the post that tagged me... No extraneous clicks to NL required! The emails are the cooler feature imo. Used other forms similar in the past.

For personal conversation... Well, you know i can't keep it short enough for texts

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Sorry for being gloomy again yesterday.
My good mood is back now. 😉

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Morpheel

(Insert a very dark and depressing fact here)

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

SheldonRandoms

Morpheel wrote:

@SheldonRandoms we live in a time where blockbuster is a custom-made set piece for historical dramas.

To think this could've been me in the future.
Untitled

It's for some upcoming series called ""I Know This Much is True" starring Mark Ruffalo. Now when the scene revs up on tv, i'll edit him to be green since he's the Hulk and stick a picture of myself somewhere on the TV to pretend I got casted and called.

NL's #1 kangaroo fan of SpongeBob Squarepants and Ristar!

Aren't LUCARIO's paws adorable? (MOAR adorable than all of the Eevee'z)

Rev up those fryers! MY LEG!

Also created Sheldon & Mr. Randoms on flipnote hatena btw

I'M SwElLtAsTiC!

3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

HobbitGamer

@Morpheel ...live sweat bees found alive inside woman’s eye after gardening. Sustained on tears.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

rjejr

@NEStalgia Hey who you calling lazy? Oh wait, yeah that's accurate.

Buys Dreams Early Access - just plays other people's stuff, can't be bothered to even play the tutorials to learn how to make stuff.

Edited on by rjejr

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic