Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,441 to 29,460 of 35,366

RedderRugfish

Octane wrote:

Yo, don't dis the soy. Soy yogurt is amazing. Better than actual yogurt.

FTFY

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

ThanosReXXX

@Octane The accent thing is something of the last couple of years. It slowly trickled down into TV show subtitling as well, and as a language freak/afficionado, I very much despise and abhor it.

@NEStalgia I was gonna answer that with: "I like steak and boobs", but I see you already decided for me.
I do believe other males are an infectious disease, though. Especially if they try to rain on whatever parade I'm entertaining at any specific moment...

Your excuse for spelling grey doesn't fly, since it's a guy's name, sorry.

As for letters with accents: never heard of an (extended) ASCII table? And again, no excuse, since the Dutch also use a US keyboard layout, so we have the same "problem" over here.

Then again: the English language doesn't use that many of them, unless you're using some words deriving from a French or Spanish origin, so I can understand that you're not that used to applying it.

And Anti needs to grow a pair, man up, get a life and not whine so much about a game disappearing and making it akin to the pain of someone surgically removing parts of his anatomy. It's getting to be ever so slightly annoying by now...

I gave him some sound advice, to go look on Instagram or make a DDR page on Instagram, instead of spamming a Nintendo-only thread/website, so that he could reach out far wider and further to find like minds, but as usual, the advice is ignored or not replied to, so I guess I'm not going to bother anymore.

P.S.

What's up with the multiple tagging?

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Um...
I have read your reply last night. 😞
Sorry for late reply.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NEStalgia

@Octane Yep. Free range, no anti-biotics, and every almond is given a Swedish massage at least twice a week, and an audiobook of "Walden" played through speakers during growth periods at night. You'll enjoy the new low price of only $27.99/lb! It's a bargain, really.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's mechanically impossible to type the extended symbols on a US-Eng OS with a US keyboard outside of some specific applications like MS Office. Especially if you're on an 85 or less key layout without a separate numpad, the ALT+ sequence doesn't actually work, so you'd have to copy and paste characters individually out of the character map. Nobody is going to do that unless it's a formal document, and even if it is, theyr'e still not going to, since they're likely writing it in Office. And the only people on an internet forum writing enough content to MAYBE justify using Office to draft the post are you, me, and Ryu

Beyond that, learning the extended codes to type them in isn't standard learning here. Never has been, since the language doesn't actually use them except for loan-words.

I didn't notice the multiple tagging until after it posted, and edited it out. The other two were just to separate two unrelated post replies. Do you get multiple emails from that, or just one?

Where I hit the brick wall though is Romaji. Drives me nuts to have to write, like in a post on an article a few weeks ago "Shounen Jump" (magazine) instead of "Shōnen Jump" (eww, even pasting it into the forum editor doesn't work well, the macron appears between the o and n....) That's a case where it's not just a missing accent everyone understands, but the addition of incorrect letters to substitute it.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

RedderRugfish

I've been playing on a private server for the Japanese version of Monster Hunter on PS2, and I use a USB keyboard plugged in to chat. But the keys on Japanese keyboards are slightly different, so trying to type symbols messes me up every time.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

HobbitGamer

@Morpheel But I like my small, payment-free, two decades old pickup. I honestly don't like large modern trucks nowadays. I prefer the old smaller ones. Farm trucks.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish Technically JP layout keyboards aren't very different from US layout keyboards. There are a few symbols in different places,(¥and such are easier to get to and more properly positioned), or changed, but it's mostly just a US keyboard with the alt func mode that it mimics a kana keyboard. That makes certain things like the "small" versions of characters like っ easier to deal with.

There are real kana keyboards, but nobody actually uses those anymore outside specialized business purposes like medicine, research, etc.

But if trying to type Romaji, yeah, the JP keyboard makes life a lot easier. Oddly JP layout is less useful for typing Japanese than typing Japlish.

@AlohaPizzaJack So you're not an urban cowboy after all? I thought every office worker needed a half-ton duelie diesel with dual stack turbos to travel on an interstate in a tie and blasting the A/C, to arrive at their job auditing cashflow excesses?

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@Morpheel As frugal as I am, my midlife crisis is bound to be splurging on a bow tie instead of neck tie.
@NEStalgia Granted, there’s enough wannabe country boys and girls at the college with their loud lifted trucks to offset me. I prefer function over form. I don’t have a supercharged V8, but I’ve got a sturdier 315 Magnum V6 with a Holley carb airhat. I don’t have flowstackers or quad outlets, but I’ve got a 2 1/2” flowmaster with no cat. I don’t have a fancy extended cab, but I’ve got a bed that can carry a ladder over 3 feet long. And I don’t have fancy high fallutin’ tech, but I don’t have to pay $2000 to a dealer when a computer goes nuts 😂

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@AlohaPizzaJack "ut I don’t have to pay $2000 to a dealer when a computer goes nuts" I still firmly believe computers have **NO** place in automotive. That's the dumbest location I can think of for sensitive electronics. Same with absurd LED headlights that cost $1000 to replace but should last "lifetime"....as-if.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Agreed. My favorite vehicle was a 1987 Honda CRX with a carburetor motor. One day I want an old 70’s Ford F-100 or 60’s Chevy Truck. They were so simple. Vacuum lines were a pain, but the easy solution is to rip and plug, then adjust your idle screw and injector. Done. Forever.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

SheldonRandoms

Turns out the Blockbuster "opening up in my local area" was really HBO using a closed store to film an upcoming mini series or something. They HAD a casting call for locals to be apart of the scene, including speaking and nonspeaking roles. Notice how I had HAD in all caps lock, well, when I found out about the location and found out they had casting calls, they closed them down. Now my IMDB page will forever remain about me doodling stick figures and having this $50,000 budget which I wouldn't mind having.

NL's #1 kangaroo fan of SpongeBob Squarepants and Ristar!

Aren't LUCARIO's paws adorable? (MOAR adorable than all of the Eevee'z)

Rev up those fryers! MY LEG!

Also created Sheldon & Mr. Randoms on flipnote hatena, it was a series which I MADE!

I'M SwElLtAsTiC!

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

NEStalgia

@AlohaPizzaJack Everything they make "better", they make worse. It's more precise, but works less reliably for a shorter space of time, and then off to the landfill it goes. Then we get told we shouldn't waste so much.

"60's/70's truck" The Johnny Cash Special.....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter It's not about reading the reply, it's about giving a useful answer to it, or at least a polite acknowledgment. And of course, if you did choose to give Instagram a go, then we wouldn't mind hearing about it.

@NEStalgia I dunno. I only check by alerts, in the upper right corner of the page. The emails get sent to one of my anonymous email accounts, that I only visit once or twice a month.

As for those keyboard differences: typical, didn't know that. I figured that since we use the exact same key mapping, we should also be able to type the same letters and/or accents on letters. And what else is the use of being able to select other key mappings? All of that works perfectly fine on my end.
Short cuts outside of the <alt-number combination> also don't work on your end?

For example, type a double colon, and immediately after that an e, a, u or o and you should get this:
ë, ä, ü, ö.

On a side note: ASCII codes aren't standard learning here either, but I did learn about them when I did my IT/helpdesk/telesales education back in the day, and we're talking 2000 here, so quite a while ago already.

I figured most of us would actually know about these. My bad for making that assumption then, I guess.
I do now immediately wonder how the heck anyone in the States is able to order an über...
Nah, just kidding. I know it isn't spelled like that. But it did make for a decent joke, though

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

On a more useful an interesting note: Nintendo World Report just put up a comparison video of Mortal Kombat 11 Switch vs PS4. The differences are minimal, the most evident being no HDR and subsequent effects/advantages on the Switch version on the left, and an ever so slight difference in resolution, but hardly noticeable, except for the more resolution sensitive OCD types...

That frame rate is buttery smooth, though, so a job well done by mr. Boon and his team, far as I am concerned.

Have a look, everyone:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

HobbitGamer

That Kano fatality. DANCE!!!

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

1UP_MARIO

In comparison it looks great.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Octane

@ThanosReXXX I've got my keyboard set to ''British English'', and it removes the ability to add diaereses on vowels. No idea why; but since I do 95% of my typing in English, it's a lot easier this way, since it also defaults every dictionary to English.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic