Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,341 to 29,360 of 96,243

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Yeah... no, just no. There isn't any challenge, it's cheating and it isn't even difficult: I've tried several of these games myself, and you can basically just alternate between one hand and the other, which I've found quite easy to do, so I really don't see the point. I guess if you like "playing with yourself", then it's probably all you're looking for, but it's not the way how you're supposed to play it.

As for Tomodachi life: I couldn't care less about that game, but it is also not comparable at all with 1-2 Switch, so naming that as an example is rather pointless.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Well...
I usually play my games alone, so to play 1-2-Switch in Solo that's my challenge how to entertain myself but at the same time i try to play fair as possible.
Btw, if i'm cheating, i will only play with ONE Joy Con and let the other Joy Con stay motionless. šŸ˜

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Huh? Can't remember having mentioned Lance Armstrong...

P.S.
Untitled
Untitled

If you truly are a Nimby, then you're weird score is going even further upwards...

@HobbitGamer Well, good thing then, that I'm not interested in Ark at all...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Whatever, go have fun all by your lonely self. I don't care.

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I got my Switch a year ago, and there are three multiplayer games from around launch that I want, but still donā€™t have: 1-2, ARMS and Snipperclips. Iā€™ve played the two demos and like them, and have always wanted them (especially ARMS), but I keep pushing them back each week when other games I want are on sale. I want 1-2 for much the same reasons as you. I donā€™t typically complain about price, and Iā€™m not an ā€œeverything should be freeā€ person, but I do feel tech demos should be in the box with the console. Hence, I have a top price Iā€™m willing to pay for that particular game, and Iā€™ll wait it out. Iā€™m guessing it will be in the first round of Nintendo Selects if they offer that line this generation. I need BOTW on Switch too. I rarely double dip, but I will for that one.

@NEStalgia - It seems like arcades are slowly picking up steam again. Maybe. Slowly. Thereā€™s a big bowling complex near me that continues to pull up bowling lanes in order to make more room for the arcade, but itā€™s a far cry from the heydays, and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll ever see one in our mall again. Iā€™m very jealous that you can have the Julius/arcade experience. Now if only they could turn down the lights and pump second hand smoke into the ventilation.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Haruki_NLI

So my copy of RAGE 2 and a new Jet Black Dualshock 4 arrived today. This is the funky DS4 with the lightbar in the touchpad for some reason.

Except there is...well something's missing.

Turns out, you don't get charging cables. You can buy an official, new, sealed PS4 controller....but cant charge the damn thing. Or even connect it, as I just realised.

Man am I glad the Switch just has a Sync button

What the ever loving hell is that about?

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX my point is using a bicycle to get anywhere of import here would be a task impossible to even Lance. Not only is it too far to be practical, factor in the very hilly terrain, broken, unmaintained roads, no shoulders in most places (nowhere to ride except the main road which then creates traffic hazards), zero adherence to traffic laws, and the bigger roads outright banning them (which, to be fair is very wise), .... Yeah. Then some politicians with dreams of being European push through some bike trail that goes nowhere and creates absurd car laws that result in people swerving in front of semis whenever they're a bicyclist..... I've known enough people that died that way.... Yeah, i know, Amsterdam is famous for the bikes even compared to the rest of Europe, do that's kind of a local specialty there.

Kind of like ice skating to work. I know it's true, i saw it on nbc. Katie Couric wouldn't ever be wrong.

As for nimby, for a guy forcefully into defending physical media to protect your rights to your possessions, you're pretty cavalier about giving your day to day life to someone else's whims! . But an urban renter isn't going to have the same Outlook on the effect of things as someone trapped in the place they dedicated their entire life to preserving. Easy to judge when it's not your existence that becomes a nightmare until you die for the convenience of others. It's tied to the disastrous planning and whole ownership idea here.

Using the other coast as the example, your area, the young are deciding the for more affordable housing, the single homes should be bought and demolished to build high rise apartments next to the other houses. Greater good. But for the people in those houses, they spent their lives to and labor to live on that place as it was. How does someone else have the right to change what it is AFTER they spent their lives getting it? If course that's the problem when it takes 30 to 50 years to own something.... Your life was spent on a lie the moment someone wants to change it. So they must be prevented from changing it. You don't have that issue, you just move of you dislike the change. With this that's not really an option. Moving will have another 50k+ in charges you can't afford. So you're trapped. Thus nimbys. .. People who refused to be trapped by the lies.

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

@Octane I had to use a USB cable to sync it for the first use. Plus the box says to connect or charge, you need to use the USB Cable.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee i haven't used my arcade enough...i really should do that while they're there. It's wholly Japanese. Candy cabs, karaoke, "questionable" photo booths .... and yes, dim lighting . They turned the volume down.... You used to hear it all the way around the mall... Now only right in front. Though it was too loud be before. No smoke though. Even my 80s one was somehow not smoke filled though!

NEStalgia

Octane

@Knuckles-Fajita If you go to settings, there's an option to sync it wirelessly; you have to hold the PS and Share button at the same time iirc.

Octane

1UP_MARIO

@bimmy-lee snipperclips is great and I bought that day 1 for the switch. Itā€™s a fantastic game to play with the family.

Arms I was disappointed with it. It was great at first and my kids enjoyed it. Itā€™s just as a online game it was really hard to find anyone or you had to wait near 10 mins to get a game. 1st Switch game I traded in

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I obviously meant using the bike to get around for day to day things, WITHIN the city limits, NOT for traveling cross-country...
So, in your case, I would use it to go to work, or to the arcade. Certainly beats walking.
Oh, and it's a mountain bike, 18 gears, so I'd be perfectly fine in your area.

As for being cavalier about things: if you read the article I linked to, then you would see that it states that the categorical nimby often just protests for the sake of it, or as an opposition to or a fear of change, because they want things to stay the way they are. That to me, is infinitely stupid and short-sighted, no offense. (even taking into account the handful of times when it actually does make sense)

And as the article also explains, 9 out of 10 times, they are perfectly fine with the thing that they're protesting against, taking place anywhere else, so they're not actually against the thing in and of itself, which kinda (or completely) makes it even more ridiculous.

Also kind of an odd comparison, with the physical vs digital games. Not exactly a case of "not in my backyard". And besides: I've always said that I would just quit buying new consoles, if the video game industry goes all digital-only. I've got a multi-console backlog that's several miles long, so even without any new consoles, I'd still be busy playing physical games for years to come...

@bimmy-lee You're welcome.
I also got Snipperclips on my wish list, but as you might understand, I think I've already spent more than enough for now, so it's still on the list of games that I will eventually buy.

Do let me know if you end up buying any of the games I mentioned. Might even be able to give you some gameplay tips, by the time that happens...

@Knuckles-Fajita You should have just bought an Xbox One. Far more user-friendly. Sony has, is and always will be forcing people to use some kind of proprietary product and/or means of doing things that other companies don't go out of their way for, to make more difficult than it should be...

But in all seriousness: I suspect that it's only a first run thing, seeing as I literally had to do more or less the same with my Switch Pro Controller. First I had to charge it by means of the Switch USB port, and then I could pair it instantly, by booting up the Switch with the cable still connected, or with some button combo when disconnected.

Anti-Matter

@1UP_MARIO
Not everyone can like ARMS.
Only people with interest about Boxing and something unusual can truly enjoy ARMS. šŸ˜‰

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia On a side note: I do understand the specific part about governments treading on private property, so no argument there, but the whole nimby label goes further than that, and from what I've read, it's actually not something that one should be proudly wearing like some badge of honor. To me, it sounds more like bitter old men or women, hence the cartoons I posted, and that's also mostly what I come across, if I look it up.

Had to, by the way: look it up. Didn't know what to make of it myself, other than thinking: yup, it's NEStalgia again with yet another acronym that I've never heard of...
Untitled
As per the official description:

• Nimby - a person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or hazardous in their own neighbourhood, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere.

"rural development arouses intense suspicion from Nimbys and conservationists"

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter I do like boxing and mixed martial arts but ok

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Tyranexx

@Morpheel: Thanks! I'm definitely excited.

@ThanosReXXX I've debated on and off about getting my own bike for riding in nicer weather, but unfortunately it isn't the most practical thing to use in my area. I live close enough to my workplace that it would
technically be feasible. However, it would also be dangerous. I'd have to take a busy road at least part of the way (No way around it). Not only isn't there much of a shoulder in some spots, but there isn't even a sidewalk. It's a main artery into the town, and people drive like idiots. It isn't as bad when school is out of session; I swear that's a third of the traffic right there.

Plus, with the type of environment I work in, showering upon arrival would almost be mandatory...and there's no shower.

Glad to read that you're fully recovered! You hadn't said anything about it for awhile, but I thought I'd check.

@NEStalgia I don't find flying impractical as long as you're going a fair distance. A flight from LA to, say, San Francisco seems like a waste. From LA to New Orleans would make more sense though IMO. That probably would be alleviated if the US would ever properly implement high-speed rail (Probably not in this lifetime, if ever). But yeah, when you factor in how long it takes to get through airport security and, heck, even drive to one, you're better off driving or finding another acceptable mode of transportation.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Very nice of you to be so considerate, much appreciated.
Just to clarify: the reason I didn't mention it, is because I'm not really the type of guy that has a need to attract too much attention to himself, in regards to daily or trivial things such as recovering from a not all that serious injury (which is what it was in my experience), or things that could happen to just about anyone, unless it somehow enters the conversation, but I usually won't start it, and will only stick to the relevant topics of the site that I'm on.

The reason that I actually did mention the accident itself, was because I needed to vent my frustration concerning that moment, and living alone makes the online community the easiest avenue for doing just that...

As for using a bike in your area: I can well imagine it being more like a real life version of Death Race 2000 than being beneficial to your physical health, let alone one's mental health...

Over here, there are bike lanes almost everywhere, and cars aren't allowed on there, and if they do it anyway, then they'd risk a pretty hefty fine, so overall, it's pretty easy going over here. There are still some nasty and/or busy hot spots around the city, but once you're used to these, all of it becomes second nature. And of course, not being in a traffic jam on the way home from work, isn't too shabby either...

@bimmy-lee Forgot to mention that I do completely agree that 1-2 Switch should have been a pack-in title. After all, it's just a collection of mini-games and/or tech demos.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX that's my point virtually nobody lives a distance from work that's bikable. Work is generally 30 to 90 minutes away by car for most people. Any that includes roads that you're not allowed to bike on, and roads that would be incredibly stupid to bike on albeit not illegal. Unless you want to bike 2 hours to work in snow on roads work hills and cars whipping around you with poor visibility of you, and possibly getting arrested biking in roads it's rightfully banned on, you save the bike for a sunny joyride in the park and nothing else. Also watch for the buckled, uneven, roads that will send you flying.

Usually if you see a bike it's either (stupid) kids, people in race clothing training for competition, etc. Pretty much nobody would consider a bike "transportation"... Just recreation. Unless you live and work in the urban center... In which case you're presumably a wealthy high roller. Rent costs more than a suburban mortgage.

Re nimby... That's the point I'm taking about, change. You work decades to by a home because you like the way it is. Why wouldn't you be furious if someone tried to change it from the way it was when you spent your money to get it? Notice the wealthy mansions never seem to have such problems?

If course the "not minding it somewhere else" is a different problem: American hypocrisy. And an unhealthy dose of "I've got mine, screw you" again, it's a problem of zoning... And ignoring it. If they properly planned the waste plant would go in the industrial zone rather than a residential area if people who aren't rich enough to live in the most premium neighborhood. But zones are changed for whoever pays them off.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - Itā€™s hard to make time sometimes, but go. It sounds delightful! Roland Ingram has a beautiful IG account called arcade.tokyo full of nice pictures of Japanese arcades complete with nice write ups.

Arcades, roller skating rinks, and carnivals all had a very similar smell to me, and the smoke was definitely part of it. Sometimes I can smell someone smoking, and it instantly takes me back to one of those places for a minute. I had three reliable arcades as a kid, and all three of them were owned and operated by chain smokers. One of them smoked and played Dig Dug II all day.

@1UP_MARIO - Thanks for the heads up. Iā€™m interested in those three for the local multiplayer. I probably wouldnā€™t do much online with ARMS. I donā€™t really play much online. Iā€™m one of the weirdos who has NSO for the NES games. My wife enjoys the demo, so itā€™s a matter of time before we pay to open up the roster and other game modes. She likes some of the unusual stuff on the eShop. Weā€™ve been playing Pub Encounter together and itā€™s hilarious.

@ThanosReXXX - I think I have all of them on my wishlist. Iā€™ll let you know if/when I pick them up. I tend to buy games like you just did. I buy three or four at once every few months, then chip away at the wishlist with random sale purchases.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic