Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 28,701 to 28,720 of 96,314

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, that's not up to me: initially, I was working in the office, so my manager or boss decided who we wanted to reel in, and that's basically always the fortune 500, or the ones slightly below that, but not Joe or Jane Average in their cubicle.

And now, as an independent contractor, I'm still selling to managers/bosses. That's just how it works. Employees don't get to decide things for the companies they work at...

But yeah, the internet should never have existed. At least not for a certain type of people, and/or companies, and yet here we are, trying to filter out the few, still relatively fresh water streams from this open sewage...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Have you checked out this month's free Games with Gold already?
I obviously also posted it in the appropriate forum, but have a look see for yourself:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold

I highly recommend Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. If you've never played it yet, it's basically a love letter to those fifties and sixties invasion movies, with giant insects, aliens and other monsters threatening the Earth, and you and your team trying to eradicate them, played in third person view. I've always found it pretty entertaining.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX They may not do the deciding, but they'll find the right way to break it!

Yeah, the internet....the internet has destroyed everything about everything in the world. It gave us some good things, but mostly it was like the tooth fairy. You may have a shiny new baseball glove but it seems a really awful consolation price for having stolen your teeth. The world itself is now a cesspool of behavior, and worse, a direct threat to most people all shaped around the internet. In the mid 90's it was a cool information tool, but it was never meant to run our lives in every aspect as a central consciousness......the fact that we shot from "useful communication and information tool" to "central nexus of all activity on earth" in a mere 15-20 years is terrifying.

Back when I started, the whole point is it was distributed, everyone was empowered, and there was no central authority. We were ditching mainframes for distributed everything. Within a good 10 years they flipped it on its head and turned it into the definition of a top-down hierarchy of authoritarian control where "the cloud" represents a single central mainframe for all earth. If today's internet were the internet that was there when I entered the world of tech, I'd not have ever entered the world of tech.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I'll have to give it a try! Overall not a terribly exciting month for Gold, but compared to the dumpster dive Sony is offering this month it looks like a treasure trove! I'm expecting both are holding onto a "wow" freebie for E3 month....even the absent Sony... "RDR2 for free, please don't forget us!"

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, the cloud... That always reminds me of the truckloads of clueless celebrities, who apparently don't even have the slightest inkling of any tech-savviness in them. Even with all the negative goings on concerning the cloud and user data, how many of them still make their dirty little pictures and videos, and happily allow them to be (automatically) stored in the cloud, where they're basically beckoning the hackers to come at them?

Obviously, that doesn't mean that the hackers are excused, and what you do in your private life is of course nobody's business, but it would be a whole lot smarter to actually also keep it private, and NOT allow a third party cloud service, no matter how safe it's supposed to be, to back that kinda stuff up.

Every time I see an item in the news or in any kind of info-tainment program about another celebrity photo leak, all I do is shrug and wonder for the umpteenth time why these people aren't getting any wiser, after already having been burnt before, or having seen colleagues being burned.

Then again: it's a weird time to be alive in anyway, because it's not just celebs. Kids nowadays are also sharing and sending all kinds of shady stuff to and from their phones, damn the long term consequences.
If you ask me, schools need to start educating kids on the pretty much eternal consequences of putting content online...

Be sure to let me know if you do enjoy Earth Defense Force, whenever you get the chance to play it. I've no idea if it has any major benefits concerning upscaling and so on, when played on the One X, but it's a fun game regardless.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

Hey all, yeah, I think I’ll hang around. I needed a break from social internet, and during that time; I think I developed some methods for being less annoyed with the general population. I never really followed the forums, but a lot of the people I enjoyed conversing with are here; so I’ll do more posting here and less under articles on the main page.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Aha, good on you. Well, in that case: good to have you back again.
So... does that mean more beer-related comments from now on?

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Thanks, good to be back. You know I’ll be trying to slip as many beer and 80s pro wrestling comments as possible. I’ll even shoehorn them in. I’m not above it.

@ReaderRagfish - My one man Internet comment section embargo of little interest worked!

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Welcome back friend! Long time no see!

Tip: The articles and forums here are usually fine, but the article comment sections still sport the occasional dumpster fire. Enter at your own risk. I've started spending less time in them.

@ThanosReXXX Unfortunately, they were the kind of customer that certainly could have afforded the upgrade but decided to pursue the route they had went before on a slightly more modern (at the time) OS. I suppose that one could be called a draw.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I see what you did there. Not being "above" shoehorning beer into the comments is a sneaky reference to bottoms up, right? RIGHT???

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Ah, well. You win some, you lose some. That's just how it goes. Serves them right, no?

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Heh, yep! I'm not sure how they're doing these days as I no longer handle support calls....I'm going with "No news is good news" for now.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Nowadays, no news is probably more than likely defunct or dead company...

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Nah, they're still around. I see one of their box trucks every once in awhile. I just haven't heard a peep about our software from them, so the assumption is that they're happily plugging away with it.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Plugging, or patching like crazy, to keep up on their legacy hard- and software...
Phrases like those about square pegs and round holes come to mind...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Too much changed too fast in the world for most people to have any understanding of what changed. More importantly the older generations never really understood it because it was so radically different from what they knew, too quickly without time to adapt, and the younger generations effecitvely had to learn themselves rather than learning from parents (and/or worse, learned from a broken education system staffed by the same clueless people who sold whatever the tech companies were selling them (probably through you ).) Ultimately big, powerful companies that make Standard Oil and the B&O Railroad look like bit-players, and rival the scale of governments painted a really happy picture in the early 2000's of one big simple easy to use totally 150% safe digital online world that's way safer than what you can keep at home, using their sophisticated network run by experts....and the public easily bought it because it seemed legit, and there was no historical frame of reference to lean on.

Step forward today with 2+ generations that were raised only in a transitory world where they had to invent reality for themselves because nobody could teach it to them, and the companies pressed on change change change change as fast as possible, change for the sake of change! And the big safe blanket they talked about all made sense....so the kids tough themselves that world and made it a reality. Except it's about the same reality as Stepford. Barely a veneer plastered on top of the broken husk. They live in a world and believe in it. And accept "you can't do anything about it it's just the way it is" (I want legal permission to murder every person who ever says that.) and we slip farther and farther into an illusory world. For such people without a prior world to compare, the companies are all trying their hardest to deliver what they say, and it's all really mostly safe....they don't understand just what fiction it all is, and they never will, because it's the only world they have existed in to compare. They can point and laugh at us for being old fashioned, because they don't understand the reality we actually remember and watched the broken systems such as "the cloud" sleezily sold through lies and misdirection. Once the kids are old enough, the lie is accepted reality. The age old truth of propaganda.

The schools can't educate against it because the schools are made up by those same clueless people, and are funded by the companies pushing it to begin with. They won't bite the hand that feeds them. Heck they educate them on how to push every detail about themselves online! How many schools have student social media/assignment/etc systems now? How many teachers instruct kids to communicate with them on Facebook?

I don't do horror....but I downloaded We Happy Few on Game Pass yesterday....it feels so appropriately accurate for the world around me I couldn't resist.

Not sure when I'll get to trying out EDF - I just started Ys VIII (and subsequently didn't have time for it) and may give Yoshi's Crafted World a spin, plus I have a few queued up RPGs I've been itching to get to so I'm probably occupied for a while I'll definitely download it though!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee Great to see you back!

Edit: And yeah, I think a lot of the crowd that gets annoyed at the drive-by-posters in the news comments have taken up a home in the forums. It's a much less transient crowd in here.

Watch for falling memes. And pineapples.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

NEStalgia wrote:

Watch for falling memes. And pineapples.

You raaaaang?

Welcome back @bimmy-lee!! It’s almost time for us regulars to take over the E3 live chats again! 😂

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

Man, I wish I could enter the live chats here more often. The couple of times I've been in live chat during a Direct have been fun. Unfortunately, my job doesn't really allow that. I'd love if I had an office so that I could occasionally sneak in, but I'm not privileged enough to have one...and it's an open floor plan otherwise. The best I can usually do is listen to the Nintendo Treehouse segments (and rarely sneak a peek) while working.

Edited on by Tyranexx

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I totally get older, less tech savvy people kinda getting overwhelmed by newer and faster technology each year, but younger people, such as most of these celebs, millennials and school kids?
You'd think (and hope) that they'd know better, or would at the very least be more aware of the consequences of putting images or videos of themselves online or in the "secure" cloud on their smart phones...

As for Earth Defense Force: hey, no rush. Just make a mental note to give me a verdict, whenever you find the time to try it out. I actually found out it's the second game in the series, but that's supposed to have improved features, so that's even better. But good to know, I guess, if you find out that you like this one, that there is another game in the series, with an entirely different campaign.

@Tyranexx I don't really like the live chats. I find it enormously distracting to have a running wall of text next to a video, and I can't keep up with reading or writing, much less replying to someone directly, because the comment is either already gone, and/or replying directly to someone like you normally do, isn't possible, so all has to be done manually, and you'll never know if someone gets to read your reply, because by the time you've posted it, 20 new ones have already been added.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic