Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 28,701 to 28,720 of 29,379

AlohaPizzaJack

It’s like Where’s Waldo for smart people.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Daloblast

What has happened? I'm not really on here on weekends.

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

NEStalgia

@Morpheel I find it funny how Nintendo games all say "Basic ability is required to enjoy this game", or something like that. Of course if you can read the warning it's meaningless, but I realize they mean that for kids. Except it's included on M rated games.......... Plus, it's funny because Playstation and XBox games don't say that. Literacy isn't that audience's strong suit I guess?

@Heavyarms55 I find Japanese a lot easier to pick up than French. Am I broken?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Daloblast Other than the free Switch giveaways, the $1000 eShop card lottery, and the video of Alex running naked down the freeway, you didn't miss much, don't worry.

NEStalgia

AlohaPizzaJack

....Sounds legit.
It’s an older code, but it checks out. 😂

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ReaderRagfish

NEStalgia wrote:

@Morpheel I find it funny how Nintendo games all say "Basic ability is required to enjoy this game", or something like that. Of course if you can read the warning it's meaningless, but I realize they mean that for kids. Except it's included on M rated games.......... Plus, it's funny because Playstation and XBox games don't say that. Literacy isn't that audience's strong suit I guess?

I guess it could be a helpful warning to those who are not very fluent in that game's supported languages .

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

NintendoByNature

I think I've got my daily quota of smily face tongue sticking out emojis hit for the day.

NintendoByNature

AlohaPizzaJack

Twelve! Twelve smiley tongues! Ah ah ah!

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Morpheel

I always assumed the "you need to be able read to play this game" warnings were for people buying games for their kids or something. You know those kid friendly m rated games.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Morpheel The thing was that the box said NO reading required, so it's the other way around.
Yet, on the same box, it features several warnings, so I hope any buyers did read those...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Morpheel

I guess that's the same. Meant for people buying the game for kids.

Yeah it kinda takes away from the ironic fun.

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Between your severe audio-related OCD and now your inability to learn French, a language which in many ways relates to English, I'm not even remotely aware of what to make of you anymore...

Japanese being easier, HA! No language that has well over 3000 characters, not to mention all kinds of weird subsets, could be easier than any language based upon an alphabet containing anywhere between 26 and 34 letters.

The only exception would probably be Cyrillic script, but once you know what the letters stand for, it is at least pronounceable, and considering the number of characters, still a hell of a whole lot easier than any Asian language.

A good friend of mine lives in Myanmar nowadays, and even though he's picked up a few phrases and has memorized some simple words and sentences, both in speech and in writing, he's still a long way off from mastering the language as a whole.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

AlohaPizzaJack

Morpheel wrote:

I always assumed the "you need to be able read to play this game" warnings were for people buying games for their kids or something. You know those kid friendly m rated games.

I figured this. Just like how ATMs have braile, or drive thrus offer braile and 'picture' menus.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Morpheel

Funny how most ATMs here have changed to touch screen interfaces.

And they're like the most imprecise touch screens ever.

Guess blind people now really need to bring someone to help them, there's no memorizing those steps.

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL. Hey audio OCD is a thing!

Languages...I dunno, in some ways I think it's more because of the dissimilarity you can start with a fresh mindset with Asian languages, whereas European languages, you tend to revert to your familiar thinking which messes up your ability to understand the differences. Plus I've had more overall exposure to Japanese over the years than French (unless you count my horrendous, sexist (she may not have noticed she had male students, or simply didn't care....,) unskilled high school French teacher that was notorious for nobody learning anything in her class. Very nice lady....just....not actually a good teacher.))

Yeah memorizing a bazillion characters and the dozen different readings ain't fun. And I suck, badly, at rote memorization...always have. I wouldn't be able to write it, by hand...basically ever. And Chinese has no interest to me (those tonals.....those wretched tonals.....I will never have any ability to pronounce anything in that dreadful language )

If you prefer alphabets, there's always Korean. Same Yoda grammar as Japanese, but with an alphabet...well...and it hasn't got THAT much Chinese characters in it....

I can relate to the Japanese writing system. They are naturally hoarders. China replaced every iteration of their writing with the new version every dynasty or two. Japan just collected all the editions and stacked them on top of each other. My brain works that way! Discard nothing! Gotta' catch 'em all etc.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel They have a headphone jack to plug in and get verbal instructions. Which still makes no sense.

NEStalgia

Daloblast

I can see that some very interesting things have happened. Plus, I hate ATM touch screens, its also like that Coke machine where you choose your soda too.

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

AlohaPizzaJack

Nothing I love more than touching public display screens. It’s like an immunization shot for free. Once you get dysentery, most common Iillnesses are child’s play. Lick the ATM for good measure.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Morpheel

It's not like it's any nastier than regular buttons.

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

AlohaPizzaJack

I lick those too

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic