Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 27,061 to 27,080 of 96,322

Octane

@Morpheel Need some help. I bought ''authentic Mexican'' corn tortillas, and there was more wheat than corn in it. Is that common? I'm just sitting here wondering what to do with my life...

Octane

Daloblast

@Octane Uh, not sure they are "authentic" corn tortillas then, but, uh, yeah.

Daloblast

My Nintendo: Daloblast

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

The concern is what product you just gave them by ordering.

@NEStalgia Well, money, obviously.
But in all seriousness, I don't give a rat's @ss what they gather or what they do with it, seeing as just about any web shop does the exact same thing. So, as long as my order is delivered, and the quality and customer service is good, I won't lose a second of sleep over it.

On a side note: for me personally, mentioning ties with governments and what not, actually DOES border on a politically charged part of a discussion, and I don't care about that at all. And I use PayPal, which is more than secure enough to take care of all things that might be of any concern in international transactions like these.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

@Octane here in Mexico we use both wheat and corn to make tortillas, though using both at the same time is unusual. Some people do it to get a different texture, but it’s not like, normal.

I guess they just used wheat as a filler, or maybe to improve shelf life? Corn tortillas tend to get stiff quite quickly.

As for what to do with them, just make quesadillas, or use them like bread with your normal food. A common use here is to roll them up and using them to help the food into the spoon/fork. Then you bite a chunk off every now and then until there’s no more tortilla. Alternatively you can just taco anything in your plate.

You could also chop them julienne style and bake/fry them until they’re crunchy, then add them to soup or salad. (This works better with regular corn tortillas)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@Morpheel Since it is Offend an Italian Day, I decided to make tortilla lasagna. So it was kinda like quesadillas, but stacked, and in a baking dish.

I just checked, and apparently they were made in Mexico. So only 50% authentic in that case.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane I imagine anything sold in a US supermarket that says "authentic [insert culture here]" is as authentic as Tofurkey.

@ThanosReXXX Pfft, and here I thought you were also the type to be concerned with data security, privacy, and the global surveillance state that is the new internet driven world.... I guess you'll be cloud streaming your games soon, and trading your discs for digital keys too!

Politics is opinion over which groups to endorse, which views to promote etc. Pointing to corporate ties to governments isn't politics, it's active policy. Specifically with China, that has all kinds of specific relevance as that government-business setup is important with just about all trade. When you do business with China, you are doing business with the Chinese government. Small Chinese business is generally fine as they don't have the eye of government as a direct participant. But the big ones. Huawei, Alibaba, Lenovo, Tencent, etc. you're working directly with the CCP whether they make it clear or not. The implications of that, their openly stated policies and aims etc should give one pause.

I unfortunately do still buy Lenovo, since they're really the only company that makes what they make, there's little choice. But they're also the poster child for my point. They've been caught, not once, not twice, but THREE times, embedding spyware into the CMOS of machines of the type that even if you purge it from Windows, it just reinstall the next time you boot....because it's baked right into the hardware itself. It phones home to Beijing. I don't trust any tech company, I don't trust the cloud, and I don't trust any government, but when China is involved, there does need to be an expectation of extra vigilance. It's a different world there. I've purchased from plenty of smaller Chinese companies....but the big ones...no way.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel This might count as the first instance I've ever heard the word "taco" used as a verb.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel I need to get to reddit as fast as possible to make "taco it" a meme....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Meh, to-may-to, to-mah-to.
You more than likely aren't trying to annoy me on purpose, but this specific subject is doing exactly that.
I don't need an explanation on what the dictionary says is political, it is what I personally FEEL borders on the political, once we're going to throw in the meddlesome practices of certain governments that may or may not demand certain things from certain companies, and how my purchase affects the way I may possibly be aiding them in their resentful practices by buying stuff from a web shop linked to, and/or supported by the government party...

And as I said, I've ordered several things from sites like Tmart, AlieExpress and Alibaba. But perhaps to add some nuance to it: not THAT many times that I've turned into some one-man army of Chinese government support, and the couple of times that I did order, I did so because I couldn't get the specific object from another site, or not at that price point. And at times like these, I'm not really overly concerned with malpractices of governments from countries that these companies call their home, because the only alternative would be to not get the product I desire, or having to pay more for it, two choices which aren't an option worth considering, far as I'm concerned...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

I mean, half the clothes we’re wearing are probably made in China. But it’s not like Liberty Prime is knocking down my door in retribution.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's not about how you're aiding policies of a given government. That's a different issue that our entire Western culture is guilty of feeding by seeking slave-labor without having to actually declare the purchase of slaves despite owning them all the same. That's separate. My issue I'm talking about is about walking into the maw of an entity that has openly declared you as both their enemy and their Petri dish. It's about the personal risk of providing information about yourself to an organization seeking to collate personal information. Be it Facebook, Google, or the CCP. But as nefarious as they all are, I may despise Eric Schmidt, but I'd still give him my passwords before any card carrying CCP member. Even he has a shred of scruples, somewhere in that grinch shaped heart.

Supporting their policy is irrelevant. We have no choice. Our existence no feeds it regardless. That's a societal failure. But the point of not buying from those stores is not letting them harvest and catalog your actual person.

Of course, on the actual political side of it, Seriously, politics or no, actually read the "New Silk Road" agenda details and tell me with a straight face we're not fighting a cold war and losing badly....

NEStalgia

SheldonRandoms

NEStalgia wrote:

@Anti-Matter I wouldn't buy used video game controllers ever again. 90% of the time, it was sold because it wasn't performing correctly. It's a wearable, consumable device, and most of the time if anyone's selling it (without the rest of the system) it's because something is wrong with it. Consoles...I've had one bad experience with a used one, but even that isn't entirely a bad one (current PS4 Pro was beeping like crazy for months, but after I moved it it stopped beeping.....though the video cut out the other day. That was weird.)

I think "not from China/HK" is pretty much the safe standard rule for buying anything, "new" or not, though Not unless it's a known/trusted exporter.

That's what happened when I bought a SpongeBob and Patrick PS2 controller on ebay that one time. SpongeBob worked while Patrick didn't, the listing didn't say so, however I didn't care since it was the only listing that had the Patrick controller, so I went for it for "collectible" reasons.

Also, BIG THE CAT HAD THE BEST GAMEPLAY IN SONIC ADVENTURE ONE! You can tell that this is a fact instead of an opinion since the entire sentence was in all caps.

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Eel

Ok so something funny happened with the yarn I ordered some time ago.

After a few days I noticed it said "returned to seller" in the shipping status, and it hasn't changed since. I complained to amazon and they sent me the same skeins (balls?) again completely for free as compensation.

So right now, I received the first of the replacement skeins, in a baggie, for some reason they shipped them separately and this one simply got sent out first. Cool that's ok I can wait more.

But I also received a mysterious little box I wasn't notified I would receive.

It's the original order with both skeins.

So yay, double yarn for my trouble.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

SheldonRandoms

Now the final result can be even BIGger!

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms

It'll be like that soccer ball I sewed in school that one time. I got the highest grade on my soccer ball s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶w̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶w̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶M̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶%̶!̶ After my highest grade for sewing a soccer ball, I, @SheldonRandoms decided to retire from sewing altogether since I could never sew something so swell ever again. It was a once in a lifetime event, and i'd love to sew again for my adoring fans, however, the quality cannot be reached again, and I simply refuse to let my fans down, so that is the reason i'll never sew anything ever again.

HobbitGamer

Am I the only one that misread it at first, and wound up thinking @Morpheel ordered yams online?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic