Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 26,341 to 26,360 of 31,985

NEStalgia

@Delibheel Gotta' take that ABBA collection to the shower when you just can't stop dancing.....

NEStalgia

Morpheel

@NEStalgia one can't just simply stop listening when Money Money Money starts

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx For smart phones, there's dry wipes, and those same little cloths that you can use for glasses/spectacles, and a damp cloth with pure alcohol will also do. If a smart phone has a gorilla glass screen, then the coating is fused to it, and unless you manage to get any kind of fluid with really strong solvents in them seeping into the screen, nothing bad will happen.

As for game cartridges and pure alcohol: that type of alcohol is so pure and flighty/evaporative, that you could theoretically dunk the entire cartridge into a bowl full of it. The only thing that you would damage by doing this, is the game labels, because it will solve the glue that they're attached with, and it'll probably damage the ink of the images as well.

When I say dunk, I don't mean letting it sit in the bowl, mind you. What it comes down to in practice, is that you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally spilling a bit too much alcohol onto them. A quick cool blow dry will easily solve that issue.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Mine lies within eye sight, on a shelf in a cupboard in the living room.
Don't know why, because I haven't used it in decades. Probably can't get myself to put it away in some dark closet or bag. I dropped it dozens of times, back in the day, and almost every time, all parts of it came away. But you simply clicked it back together again, and the thing still worked like it was supposed to, so besides a few scrapes and scratches, it's still in perfect working order.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX The Japanese build such amazingly designed modular things. Except Sony. Sony's always been an American company pretending to be a Japanese company. It's like a big old corporate weeb.

Sadly MS bought Nokia and let it join most of their other from that era acquisitions into oblivion.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia: Definitely similar thoughts here on Apple then. I understand the "keeping value in your brand" concept, but I feel like they take it WAY too far since they know they can get away with it.

Coatings are why I specifically asked the above question. While I haven't used anything other than dry cloth so far on my current phone (other than a few raindrops, which I'm not too concerned about since my phone is water resistant), I did try a damp cloth a couple of times on my old phone and considered some solutions but never decided on anything.

@Octane: It's mainly because I've seen what happens when, say, a drink is set too close to a device or put too close to a source of water (pool, bathtub, etc.). I've seen someone spill an entire cup of coffee and hose up their keyboard for example. I drink water and occasionally green tea here at work but keep them far away from my work tower, monitors, and keyboard.

Glad to know alcohol might work with the phone screen as well. The desire to actually clean my phone doesn't come too often, but the thought occasionally hits me when I've done a lot of traveling or at times of the year (like now) when illness pops up everywhere.

@ThanosReXXX: So my current dry cloth approach is at least viable. XD Apparently I need to get some better alcohol though. What I currently have won't cut it it seems.

Tbh, I've never been comfortable using anything past dry cloths and compressed air for cleaning anything that I feel is expensive and/or delicate.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, Monster Hunter Stories (Demo)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Erm... Nokia is Finnish, so Scandinavian. It may have been taken over several times, but back then, it still was Scandinavian. That's also the reason it was built like a tank. Scandinavians are good at building sturdy things. Just think of their cars: Volvo, Saab...

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Depends on how old the cloth is...
Me, I just use my own breath, and my sleeve as a wiping cloth. Or my jeans. Whichever suits me the best, at any specific moment.

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: I'm guilty of that approach too. xD I don't do that often to my devices, but....

Well, I know the blowing trick for left/right triggers on Nintendo handhelds isn't the best solution, but I have used it previously on devices when compressed air didn't cut it. I made it a point to dry out my mouth as much as possible before doing it and have not done it often. Mostly it was when I would play games that heavily used the L/R buttons (such as the Mega Man Battle Network series or Minish Cap.

What I really need to do is actually open up my old GBA SP and give it some TLC sometime. Due to various factors however, I'm kind of reluctant....

Edited on by Tyranexx

NEStalgia

@Blitzenexx Got to hand it to them though, not many companies can sell overpriced designer goods simultaneously to both the executive-class, Mercedes buying market and the starving-student-singer-dancer-actor-writer-artist market all at the same time

@ThanosReXXX Wow, you're right....that's a shock, for some reason I always thought it was Japanese...a mix of the fact that their best models were always Japan exclusives for some reason, and the fact that just hearing the word, I see "ノキア” automatically in my mind....it just automatically clicks.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia: People see Apple as a sort of status symbol I guess lol. While I kind of get it, I know that hip, trendy, and "cutting edge" aren't always the best approach.

NEStalgia

@Blitzenexx They managed to take geeky tech toys and turn it into mainstream fashion accessories. That took (marketing) talent. And, back in the day, when they were running PPC/SCSI/DIMMs they actually had some major advantages over PC (crippled by their horrid OS that makes Nintendo look like an open platform, of course. )

Of course Apple never does cutting edge. Their tech is stable precisely because it's generally Yokoi/Nintendo's "withered technology" approach. Except they price it like it's diamond encrusted and lie through their teeth telling everyone it's cutting edge by packaging use cases with the sales blurb.

People always say Apple's a tech company. They're not. Their a marketing agency with a designer apparel & accessories sidearm. They just stuff old PC parts inside them too.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

I'm rocking my Apple 6 that I got last year for $80. I don't think I'm their target audience

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows LOL! As long as you don't want to copy your files from one device to another without using Apple's bloated software on another device.....you're good! And remember, there's no headphone jack on the upgrade path. A $1.1k telephone shouldn't actually contain even a cheap DAC onboard....you have to plug it in separately.... Which is funny because my vintage late 60's $150 Bell System telephone plays analog audio just fine without connecting any accessories..... State of the art indeed!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Morpheel

I love my iPad mini. No complains from me.

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia I mean, I don't even put files on my phone. Just pictures, and that's cloud based. I use more for talking and text.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows You, my friend, are an Apple customer through and through.

Want a Walkman cassette player? I'll re-case it in custom brushed aluminum unibody housing and put a picture of a papaya on the back that will light up. Only $399.99!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Of course I'm right. I'm nearly always right.
Researching what I want to say, before actually saying it and having it set in stone, also helps a lot...

And yeah, Apple is a designer/marketing company first and foremost. But not necessarily one with next gen tech. They even use competitor's components, and subsequently try to screw them over by suing them...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia A retro cassette device in a new jacket with a papaya light on the back?
What would that device be called, then? An iPappy? Would probably sell like hot cakes in Latin-American countries...

Morpheel

Endorsed by Sofia Vergara.

Edited on by Morpheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic