Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 26,041 to 26,060 of 27,523

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel I have to tell you, that I honestly can't make a definite decision on what I think is worse: getting a book back damaged, or never getting it back at all. In any case: if it was my sister, then she'd either have to bend over backwards for all I care, but she'd have to find it. And if it would have been lost, for whatever reason, then I'd most definitely expect her to buy me a new copy.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

ThanosReXXX

@GyroZeppeli Literature, or comics. Far easier to get into, and from my own experience, I can assure you that it sure helped me learn quite a few languages.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"Erm... a way to subtly change the subject instead of actually responding to what I told you earlier?"

Um, nope.
It wasn't about last time i replied you.
I just found a funny video about The Ponies to be shared here. 😆
Maybe someone will be interested. 😏

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (99 / 100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (95 / 100)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 with all expansion packs and DLC (93 / 100)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90 / 100)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90 / 100)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

Blitzenexx

@ThanosReXXX: I actually really enjoyed the first couple of chapters of Fellowship, but the period of time between Gandalf' s return and when Frodo actually left is what dragged on quite a bit. Things picked up for me during/after the visit to Bree.

I watched the LotR trilogy before starting in on reading them since I didn't own the books at the time. I'm now working my way through them. I've also read The Hobbit but haven't seen its corresponding trilogy yet.

The paperback that taught me my lesson went through TWO lendings. It was intact when I finally got it back, but the cover was pretty beat up and the pages in one spot looked like they'd endured some dirt staining.

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Wii U VC), Detective Pikachu

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter I know that it wasn't about that, but you didn't react at ALL to my friendly advise, which I gave you a couple of pages back.

And I don't think there's a lot of adult men that like My Little Pony videos on here. We rather see big-boobed babes with guns, lots of guns.

P.S.

Just in case: joking...
(Well, about the gun part. Don't like My Little Pony at all)

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Well, then you're not the average person. I enjoyed it as well, but the first time I started to read it, a friend pointed it out to me, and although I actually liked the beginning, I could understand why he drew my attention to it, because it isn't exactly like smoothly going down, so to speak.

So, I actually did have my wires crossed, then. You're going from the movies to the books, so instead of "why did they leave that out?" moments, you'll have plenty of "hey, that didn't happen in the movies" moments. Not to worry, I won't spoil anything other than that...

Blitzenexx

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with how much the movies have seemed to be faithful to the books compared to most adaptations. They certainly aren't 1:1 adaptations, but they've remained pretty accurate. The only differences from the top of my head are when they omitted the forest outside of the Shire, Tom Bombadil, and the Barrow-downs.

Edited on by Blitzenexx

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Well, talking about no spoilers for people not in the know...

But that's exactly what I said when I first mentioned the movies: they are, to this day, the most accurate book to movie adaptation, but regardless of that, even they aren't 100% accurate, and both of those statements are true.

P.S.

If I remember correctly, there's a few more omissions, depending on which versions of the movies you've seen, since the last edition of the movies added around 30 minutes to each of them.

Blitzenexx

@ThanosReXXX: D'oh! Edited. I was doing a couple of other things at the time and forgot the tags.

I just have the DVD release of the entire Trilogy. In order, the running times are 178, 179, and 200 minutes. I never saw them in theaters; my parents were never into fantasy. I got into it on my own.

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Yup, that sounds like the director's cut versions. Should also be written printed on the DVD box, somewhere. I do believe that the Bluray versions are even longer, though.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Blitzenexx

Unless "Theatrical versions" is a fancy way of saying that, I'm not finding Director's Cut anywhere on the box that houses all three disks.

Edited on by Blitzenexx

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Yeah, could be whatever label they slapped onto it. I didn't mean director's cut in the literal sense of the word, but more like "or something to that extent", alluding to them being longer than the previously released versions. You could compare it with/Google for the latest edition of the trilogy, and see if the running times match or not. If they don't, then you might wanna consider trading in those DVD versions for the Bluray ones.

Might even inspire you to watch them all over again, in that far superior picture quality...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Blitzenexx

Heh, I'll check in a little while! Funnily enough, while I'm into technology, I've never been one to upgrade something that seems to work perfectly fine. I've considered getting a dual DVD/Blu-ray player to get into the Blu-ray goodness more, but my current player also works totally fine. I don't use it too often, so that could just be the case too.

Link-Hero

@Blitzenexx @ThanosReXXX
From what I could find on google.

The Fellowship of the Ring
Theatrical - 178 minutes = 2 hours and 58 minutes
Extended - 208 minutes = 3 hours and 28 minutes

The Two Towers
Theatrical - 179 minutes = 2 hours and 59 minutes
Extended - 223 minutes = 3 hours and 43 minutes

The Return of the King
Theatrical - 200 minutes = 3 hours and 20 minutes
Extended - 251 minutes = 4 hours and 11 minutes

Blitzenexx has the theatrical version, not extended. It should say right on the box whether or not it's extended. If you want the extended version, you have to get it on Blu-Ray as they haven't made the DVD version since 2004.

This post reminded me that I need to get my hands on a copy of the Blu-Ray extended version. Time to add it on my Amazon wish list.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Blitzenexx

...Part of me now wants the Blu-ray edition, but at the same token, that's a LOT of movie time. In any case, thanks for doing the homework!

ThanosReXXX

@Link-Hero Yeah, from me too: thanks for the research.

@Blitzenexx Believe me: it isn't that noticeable. I've seen these extended versions twice now, and once you're watching, that time goes by without it becoming a drag or having a feeling of it being too long. Highly recommended, and not just because of the far superior picture quality.

Oh, and if you want a good and compact Bluray player, that's friendly for your wallet as well, look no further than this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Blu-Ray-Player-FiberTique-...
And it even upscales your DVD's, so it's a win-win.

Octane

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for that. I'll give it a go tomorrow or Friday; when I have the time at least

But we're back to the ''NLife is perfectly fine between 5 and 8''. So I'll just enjoy it while I can

Octane

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Speaking about DVD, is there any DVD player that can read any DVD movies regardless of its region and without modding ?

My Top 5 games :

ThanosReXXX

@Octane You're welcome. If I were you, I'd still use that info and that manual to see if everything is set up as it is supposed to be. You might never know what settings the previous owner has changed or added, which might in hindsight be responsible for your recent issues.

@Anti-Matter Yes, there is. I would advise looking for this model:
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Blu-Ray-Player-FiberTique-...
EDIT:
This device reads both Blurays and DVD's, upscales DVD's to 1080p, and it's region free.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Okay, i will check at my local Electronic shops. Thank anyway for the info.

My Top 5 games :

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic