Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 25,101 to 25,120 of 26,141

gcunit

I'm gutted. Years ago my Wii disc drive stopped reading discs, so I ordered a replacement lens for it, but beyond removing a couple of screws I never got round to carrying out the replacement.

Fast forward to now and I want to rip some Gamecube discs to install them on my Wii U, but my current PC DVD drive can't read Gamecube discs, so I finally dig out that lens I've kept track of all these years and get down to stripping my original Wii to make the repair.

But it hasn't worked. The drive takes the disc and you hear it start to fire up (presumably the laser) but the drive never starts spinning. And I don't know if that's because I've reassembled it incorrectly, damaged something, or just that the placement lens I got was a duff one.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Vinny

The Vita seems to be a goldmine of indie metroidvania titles.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

NEStalgia

@Octane facepalm.... Endless facepalm. They implemented the teso crown store...... Which was always bad. But unnecessary. At this point my doom eternal switch preorder is getting cancelled.... And I'm preordering Anthem. I actually have significantly more faith in EA delivering quality and value than Bethesda at this point. Bethesda is now worse than EA ever was. I love TESO, but that's the last Bethesda game i buy unless they massively turn around. This is beyond horrible.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit You could check with Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3D...
Most drives aren't that expensive, in my opinion.

I never modded my Wii U, since I still use my Wii for all of that kind of stuff, but I kinda assumed that it would be possible to read and install GameCube discs directly on the Wii U, once you got the Wii part modded? That would immediately solve the problem, if you have Nintendont and a USB Loader installed.
(EDIT: never mind, I've already informed myself on the topic. Stupid that they removed that from the Wii U.
Would have been a nice bonus on top of the Wii mode)

Another option is to get a used Wii from a reputable game store, or to get a used, refurbished drive from a website like this one:
https://www.replacebase.co.uk/nintendo-wii-replacement-comple...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: TheRealThanos

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX Thanks. I have discovered a potential solution to my issue though. I was following an ifixit guide that said nothing about removing an anti-static blob of solder on the new lens ribbon, which apparently needs to be done. I don't have a soldering iron currently but I'll get one and see if that does the trick.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Blitzenexx

I'm going to go watch Ralph Breaks The Internet soon. Hopefully I like it almost as much as the first movie.

@NEStalgia: Your post reads like I would enjoy the older Fallout games at any rate. Part of what has kept me away to begin with was that the more recent ones were a little too survival shooter-y for my tastes.

I would not go so far as to say that they have reached EA levels just yet though.

Edited on by Blitzenexx

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Majora's Mask 3D, Super Paper Mario

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

SheldonRandoms

Bethesda are gifting gaming news channels with video content they can rev up so fast, as well as possibly ad revenue from those videos, how nice of them indeed!

NL's #1 kangaroo fan of SpongeBob Squarepants and Ristar!

Aren't LUCARIO's paws adorable? (MOAR adorable than all of the Eevee'z)

Rev up those fryers! MY LEG!

Also created Sheldon & Mr. Randoms on flipnote hatena btw

I'M SwElLtAsTiC!

3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit That sounds weird. What would a blob of solder be doing on a ribbon cable? Sounds damaging, and so does removing it, seeing as that will involve heat and melting. Oh, well. Good luck, then.

Just in case: Nintendo might have taken a couple of sites down, but there's still plenty of them around that are reliable and have an extensive archive, such as Vimm's Lair (once on that site, go to The Vault), RomsMania, Emudieval, Rom Hustler or Ziperto.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ReaderRagfihs

It just occurred to me that we're already only 7 days away from Christmas. Wow.

Time flies when you're not having fun.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread

Fooligan

7 days... till they can stop playing that god awful Christmas music in every shop.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfihs What you actually meant to say, was Crihstmas, right?

ReaderRagfihs

@ThanosReXXX No, actually. Argh, @Delibheel, look what you've done!

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfihs Sorry, couldn't help myself...
But, yeah, @Delibheel, the mod formerly known as Yosheel, formerly known as Meowpheel and his odd, Mexican sense of humor...

Delibheel

It’s the gift tath keeps on giving

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@NEStalgia And that's why avoiding online only/online service games has served me well. Expectations for Starfield and TES6 have dropped below zero as well.

Octane

JackEatsSparrows

@Blitzenexx How was Ralph? I like the first one. Ooh! And Pixels. I loooove Pixels.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Andrew_R_2000

over the weekend, I think I'll search for those "FE x-mas" stuff. I don't think what u saw is as bad as you're making it out to be.

Be yourself!
Switch FC: SW-0507-9503-1127 | 3DS FC: 1736-0165-7775 | Battle.net: Luigibrine#1151

JackEatsSparrows

@Andrew_R_2000 Nah. Seems akin to a bathing suit theme, but winterized. I mean, that's what shows up in Google Images, and that's as far as I'm willing to dive

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ReaderRagfihs

I hate all of you

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic