Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 25,041 to 25,060 of 96,508

HobbitGamer

I’ve been meaning to read Rosie Love. That thread was amazing.
I know everyone isn’t a fan of Fortnite, but I finally found a mode I enjoy, Team Rumble. It’s a team first to 100 deal, and you have respawns and keep your weapons and ammo when you die. It makes it a lot more enjoyable. Oh, and there’s a few planes. I’ve gotten good at point blank strafing runs, pulling up and rolling away at the last second. Thanks, Starlink.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

GeoChrome

@JackEatsSparrows I’ve only heard about it from other people, but didn’t planes completely ruin Fortnite?

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX: Thanks! To be fair, it's a lot easier for me to interpret the meanings behind basic text. I'm not as great with visual and vocal cues in person; it's even worse with phones as I don't even have those things to go on. At least with text, I can read it over and over again in an attempt to gain some clarity and meaning.

The DVD player that I have is a Sony branded one. It was fairly decent for when I got it, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up with a more modern television; mine isn't old, but I've had it for over four years now.

@GyroZeppeli: That's about where mine is at when you disregard four Switch games that I've collected via sales (No actual Switch yet though) and a Special Edition in one case. I'm not technically counting the games on the SNES Classic right now in that figure.

Those numbers wouldn't seem too nuts if most of those games were something like short platformers (like DKC), but I have quite an attraction to JRPGs. I try to stay away from the really lengthy ones, but I do have a couple of those. I mostly grab short/medium length games, but the problem with JRPGs is that I like exploring and talking to pretty much everyone.... I don't even mind a little mindless level grinding once in awhile, but I do get fed up with it if I feel it's overdone.

I know it's a pretty short pile when compared to many of the backloggeries that I've seen, but I like keeping it somewhat small. I've made some progress as it was easily more than double that size when I first started keeping track back in 2014.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

GeoChrome

@Blitzenexx This is really the first time I’ve ever had a backlog, since I used to be all physical. But on the Switch, it’s barely possible to resist buying when the discounts are so enticing. Some of these games include Octopath, Broken Age, Ambition of the Slimes, and the whole NSO games collection (I count it as one piece of software), so I’m definitely going to be at this state for a while.

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Haha, well, I'll do you one better: my 42" Panasonic Viera Full HD Plasma screen is already well over 6 years old, and anything HD still looks pretty spiffy on it. It does begin to show its age, though: light blue smears and splodges appear all over the place, and channel logos in the top corners are pretty much burnt in. But, right now, I simply don't have the spare cash to buy a decent new screen, so it's got to last me a little longer...

As for your specific player still looking good on a newer screen: I can easily confirm that: my father has a far newer TV than me, and he has the same Bluray player and he even still uses his old VCR on it. Obviously, the latter looks pretty bad to me, although some of the less used tapes are still reasonable, but the DVD's played on the Bluray player, look pretty good. And seeing as your own player also upscales to 1080p, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

GeoChrome

This is only my third month here and I already have almost 800 posts. I need help .

Tyranexx

@GyroZeppeli: I'm still a fan of physical games for the most part, but I understand the appeal and necessity of digital games at times. Octopath is one of my recent acquisitions as well; Target was running the same discount on physical copies of Octopath as well as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Both of those have been on my radar for awhile, but the former won out. It's another lengthy game, but I think the chapters will be fairly well suited to my playstyle.

@ThanosReXXX: Mine is a 40" 1080P Vizio Smart TV. I barely use the "Smart" part of it other than for some YouTube though. I've considered getting Netflix on occasion, but I always find something else to invest my free time in. XD

My parents still use one of those DVD/VCR players last I checked. In fact, I'm pretty sure my mom still tapes her weekday soap opera using the VCR. I've tried explaining the virtues of more modern setups, but in their case....If it's not broke, there's no need to fix it.

My TV felt like a heck of an upgrade compared to what I was used to when I got it. My parents had standard definition sets when I moved out; the largest was 32" IIRC. I'd sometimes like a 4K TV after seeing a few of those in action, but there really isn't anything wrong with my current set.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

I have a cheap 32" Atvio tv. I'm not entirely sure if it's full HD, the box doesn't go into specifics, and the models I find online often say 720p. When I play the xbox or switch it says 1080p in the corner though, so I like to believe it is.

It didn't come with smart components, they had one that did for a higher price, but the fire stick and xbox one are more than smart enough for my needs.

I like it because I paid for it by myself. So, it feels fully mine. I like that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@GyroZeppeli I dunno about the other game modes, but when I play Team Rumble the planes don’t make a significant difference. They’ve only got 100 health themselves.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Anti-Matter

Lately, i cannot play my game consoles at living room due to smelly odor of rattan baskets placed outside living room. My sister put them behind living room and the baskets haven't moved into different place yet. Phew...! 😒

Anti-Matter

HobbitGamer

I didn’t realize wicker had a smell.
Ah, the joys of scraping the ice off the ruck with a library card. Why, you ask? Because no one here sells ice scrapers. Ah, but there is the inter webs! Yes, but I always forget...

#MudStrongs

HobbitGamer

I must have frozen my brain. I walked to the break room and back to my office before I realized I had put my lunch in my desk and my wallet in the fridge. Somebody call the pound, today is gonna be ruff.

#MudStrongs

NEStalgia

@Blitzenexx Where are they finding new VHS cassettes to tape things on?!

I can't imagine what modern setup you'd suggest to them. A Mythbuntu box? All the cable DVRs are subscription....I'd pick the VCR too!

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

JackEatsSparrows wrote:

I must have frozen my brain. I walked to the break room and back to my office before I realized I had put my lunch in my desk and my wallet in the fridge. Somebody call the pound, today is gonna be ruff.

😆😂😆😂

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Blitzenexx Oh, I'm absolutely in favor of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", except parents sometimes seem to take that to extremes. My dad also still uses the VCR to record whatever it is that he wants to see, but besides the fact that the tapes have degraded horribly because of the repeated recordings, it looks even worse on his current TV, which as I mentioned, is newer than mine (Samsung HD TV UE40K5670ss), so it's one blurry mess, but he doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

But the way we use that saying, is probably more efficient. We're already all but fully in the modern audio/video age, so if the HD TV still works, then there certainly isn't any reason to replace the screen.

A Bluray player, however, most definitely is a worthwhile consideration...

@Delibheel The fact that it says "1080p" in the corner of the screen says nothing about the resolution of the screen, but about the upscaling of the signal and/or the output of the device that's connected to the screen. If I'd have to make a guess, I'd say the TV is probably what was known as "HD Ready", which at the most, is 1080i, and does indeed display in 720p. I'll save you the whole tech story behind it, but that's the gist of it.

And if I remember correctly, it's actually more or less mandatory for TV manufacturers, to mention if a screen is Full HD or not, so it should be quite visible somewhere on the TV and in the manual.

I can definitely agree to the feeling of having something that's all yours. I don't know if that counts for everyone, but I still have that feeling with every device or little thing that I buy.

@NEStalgia You'd be surprised. My dad sometimes goes to a thrift shop that still sells completely new, sealed tapes for a buck or 2 a piece.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfihs Well... don't know if I would call it that. It's more a mix of laziness and him not wanting to get to grips with new equipment. He's no technophobe by any means, but he more or less only buys/replace stuff if he has no other options left. And then when something goes wrong or he has some kind of issue, he calls me.
Like I still have any present knowledge of VCR's and stuff...

In the end, I always do end up finding the solution for him, either by Googling or simply downloading the manuals for him, but it's kinda funny (well, not in the moment, but afterwards) how he always talks about these problems, as if I'm sitting on the couch next to him.

Then I always have to emphasize that I can't see what he's seeing, much less know what he's doing, and he's not exactly precise in his descriptions, so it's somewhat of a miracle (either that, or me by now having (too much) experience in handling those situations) that we ultimately always end up solving it...

And he has quite the temper, also making it a bit more difficult.
So, technically, I'm part tech wizard, part social worker...

Right now, I'm typing with the Switch on my desk, waiting for the MK 11 reveal. A lot of crap and blabla is shown now, which doesn't interest me. I want to see gameplay, damned!

It still amazes me how beautiful the Switch screen is, though. And it isn't even full HD. I don't know what magic they applied to it, but it looks better than the screen on my Samsung Galaxy A6. Probably also because it's bigger, but still. Pretty darn sweet...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Wow, I haven't actually seen one, physically, other than my own, in many years!

NEStalgia

Vinny

Anyone here played Gun (2005)? It's a cool western action game from the PS2 era.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

ThanosReXXX

@Vinny Yup. Got it on PC, GameCube and Xbox 360.

Vinny

@ThanosReXXX This is another title I found out about thanks to GameSack, in a video where they talk about their backlog.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic