Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 25,021 to 25,040 of 33,143

RedderRugfish

@Blitzenexx My friend actually found a way to access a list of student login information in the network database used by each computer, so he reported it to the IT people.

Their response? They sent him a letter stating that what he did was against the school rules, against the student contract, and that they could get him expelled for that if they wanted to. Then they tried to fix it, but their fix didn't actually work. So this private information was still exposed and there was no way for us to tell them about it.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: If he wasn't broadcasting how to do it and privately went to the IT people and told them, I don't see how that would be grounds for expulsion if he didn't use the information for anything other than to report the vulnerability.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

RedderRugfish

@Blitzenexx Apparently it meant that he was accessing parts of the computer he wasn't supposed to access. I don't really know. We just kinda laughed at the whole situation.

I still find it funny more than frustrating.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: Part of me is really curious to learn how that was all set up, but I understand that this was some time ago. XD Hopefully the IT staff at your old school are now more...educated.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Octane

@Blitzenexx Fallout 76 is a perfect example of everything wrong with the gaming industry. It has been disaster after disaster. It all started with the announcement of the game. Last year, don't remember if it was E3 or TGA, Bethesda had this #forthesingleplayers thing going. Promising they would stick to single player games in a time when every big company had to have its ''live service game'' filled with micro-transactions. Lo and behold, the first thing they announced was Fallout 76, an online only Fallout game. As you can imagine, the first reactions weren't great. The story, quests, NPCs is one of the biggest reasons why people play those games to begin with, so an online free-for-all Battle Royale Fallout game completely misses the point what Fallout is all about. On top of that, it just sounded like a quick and easy cash grab.

Anyway, most remained actually optimistic until launch, that's where most of the backlash came from. They had a beta for the game. They even called it Break-it Early Test Application or something like that. I'm not sure Bethesda is the right company to joke about buggy games, but at least they're admitting it. Anyway, a beta is a good thing, because that means they can test the game and release it in a proper state. At least, that's what you think a company would do. The release of Fallout 76 marks the most broken and bug-riddled Bethesda game to date. There's still bugs present that were in Fallout 4 (I mean, no surprise seeing how the recent releases of Skyrim on Switch and PSVR still have the same bugs that were present in their original 2011 release...). Heck, there were even stories of players getting full immunity to all damage. They couldn't even kill themselves in the game, and it not only broke the game for them, but also other players. Bethesda issued 50GB patches (yes, 50!), which didn't do anything. The game got low review scores, because even without the bugs, it didn't seem like a fun game at all.

Then there's the whole canvas bag debacle. They sold a $200 special edition, that also came with a big sturdy canvas bag, at least, that's how it was advertised. However, people got a flimsy Nylon bag instead. Bethesda declined refunds, even though it was false advertisement. People complained some more, and Bethesda finally offered a compensation of 500 atoms (the Fallout 76 in-game currency), which is about $5, and isn't even enough to buy an in-game bag that costs 700 atoms (yes, an in-game bag is $7...). Then people discovered that Bethesda had been sending out high-quality bags to ''influencers'' at events before the release of Fallout 76. So you can understand how the people that paid $200 reacted...

The backlash reached a new height and Bethesda finally addressed the issue, promising they would provide everyone who bought the special edition with a new canvas bag. Seems like it ended on a positive note after all. But this is Bethesda. People could file for a replacement bag online, but their website was broken (surprise!), and everyone's contact information; name, addresses, bank account; all of that leaked online.

Then there was a patch that would implement wide-screen functionality, not only did it break the game for some, it introduced weird glitches and artifacts, but their solution was to simply stretch the HUD instead of actually implementing a proper wide-screen mode. Some modders got it working within a day or so, ironically. Lastly, yes, this isn't ending yet, data miners discovered evidence for lootboxes coming to Fallout 76 in the latest patch, despite Bethesda saying the game wouldn't feature loot boxes. Can't wait how that turns out.

To be fair, as an outsider, it's been fun. I'm glad I didn't buy it, but seeing the company sink even further every other day or so has been amusing. And they already confirmed they will use the same engine for Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6, and yes, everything still runs on the same broken Morrowind engine from 2002.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

NEStalgia

@Blitzenexx Wow, @Octane hit it out of the park tenfold with that description, and even I learned a few things about the debacle I didn't know!

The short version aside from the business disasters though is, in addition to being a completely broken, scandal ridden release that is barely even playable on any machines but X1X and PC, it has that pesky little problem that it includes no actual gameplay. It's a big empty sandbox to make your own fun in. But it provides virtually no actual designed game. Just explore and find stuff, collect junk and craft at crafting tables.....attack monsters. There's "quests" which are just spat out of computer terminals you find....there are no NPCs. No dialog other than vendor robots. It's an "RPG" with no proper questing other than to-do lists from computer terminals, and no dialog. And worst of all, it's not really even a Fallout game. It's a dank, dreary apocalypse survival game with zombies and eating mechanic (you need to eat to keep your energy up, drink to keep your stamina up, purify the radiated water by boiling it.....(!), and micromanage your food intake. It's an empty, generic, online survival game dressed, loosely, in a Fallout skin. And on top of that, it still doesn't even work, 100+ gig of patches later.

The really sad thing is so much wrong with it was copied right out of Elder Scrolls Online (but that's an MMO and 76 supposedly isn't.....) but while Fallout 76 is entirely broken and bland in every way, TES:O is a complete RPG that despite being online can be mostly played solo (you just see other people running around), has huge cities of NPCs, full on quests, isn't broken, and is pretty tame with it's microtransactions (it's obscenely overpriced for all the DLC and all the optional garbage....but unless you're big into crafting you don't even need the subscription and can avoid most of the paid content except if you want all the DLC regions.) The difference is TES:O is not made by Bethesda Game Studios, it's made by Zenimax, the parent company of Bethesda that makes only MMOs. Apparently they're a lot better at working products than Bethesda proper.....

EDIT: Bethesda's been dragging Fallout down to the woodshed for years ever since they bought the once glorious IP from the Interplay/Black Isle firesale. This just nails the coffin shut. This is why it was so amusing when after this that Obsidian took the stage at TGA, Obsidian being made of half of the leaders/staff from the old Interplay/Black Isle, they announced The Outer Worlds as "from the original creators of Fallout...." A beautiful nod that while Fallout is now a raging dumpster fire on Bethesda's front lawn, the original creators (who also did New Vegas) are back to reboot the real concept under a new IP.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

It’s so frustrating because I love Fallout 3 and NV. I enjoyed 4, but not as much. I would be happy if they just ported 3/NV to Switch and never made another Fallout game. Shelter is peanuts, and I can’t believe Bethesda even thought that it would make sense to bring it when there’s no other title on the platform.
Todd Howard is just a lying tool. Factually.

On a happy note, after 11 days we finally have sunshine with no clouds here!! Come to me, melatonin. My brain is ready.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

MysticGengar

I mentioned a few days ago that I have 4 more games to play after my birthday.
Now I can add all the Shovel Knight campaigns and The Messanger to that list.

It's gonna be a looong christmas break.

Nice >:]

I do stupid stuff on youtube.com/mysticbros, so check it out if your bored or whatever.
Or don't, it's your time after all.

Octane

@NEStalgia And to be fair, I probably forgot some of it as well. It's been bad news after bad news if you've been following the Fallout 76 news ever since it came out. Just a quick Google search and I found out that Bethesda patched the game, nerfed some settings and made who whole experience grindier, without telling anyone. It also introduced more bugs along with it. No surprise really.

Octane

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows I'll agree that Todd is a lying tool. I don't know what happened to him. He was fine back with Oblivion and then sometime after that he went off the rails. All of Bethesda did. Fallout 3 was about as much a disappointment to existing Fallout fans as FFXIII. It was the beginning of "Bethesda-fying" the series. Though it still had a little bit of "Fallout" in it. I have this sneaking suspicion that Fallout 3 had included some of what Black Isle had designed for the abandoned Fallout Online MMO. That's the only explanation for it being somewhat, slightly, Fallout-ish. New Vegas was made entirely by Obsidian (half the ORIGINAL Fallout developers. Thus why that part actually feels like Fallout- it's the only part that actually is.) After that, Bethesda seems to be giving it the Prey treatment: Lets buy an IP and make it something completely different. They didn't want Fallout, a post-apocalyptic RPG set in the wacky wild west humans rebuilt after the apocolypse. They just wanted an apocalypse survival simulator and bolted the Fallout brand on so it sells more. That includes 4: "Watch the nukes drop!" That's not Fallout. Fallout is about what happens after the apocalypse is over, not enduring the immediate aftermath. That's Bethesda Apocalypse Prototype #3.

@Octane OMG....that's just......I think I ought to just delete that thing from my console. I paid full price....you know, the week before they dropped it to $40 seemingly all the time....I figure GwG/PS+ by the end of February ought to do it.... I didn't think it could possibly get that bad. It was grindy on day 1! I got to the first town, had random zombie/mutant raids for no reason into building (because doors are always open! Random players blowing through (because it's not an MMO...........) bodies would move after I killed them, couldn't see in the dark (and it was always dark).....and it doesn't even make sense there are mutants in their worlds....the mutants were from the west coast vats for the supersoldier program....that was established in FO1. Why are there mutants? Why is there a BoS on Reclamation Day on the East Coast? The whole game feels like it was outsourced to some Chinese mobile company, except if it were there wouldn't be all these bugs....

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Why did you even buy it lol? I saw this from miles away.

The game is currently discounted to €30, from €70 at launch, that's almost a 60% discount (and yes, the industry has managed to increase the price of AAA games from €60 to €70 in the last year or so without anyone noticing; game prices are stagnant my arse ).

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane I think that's the brexit pricing Still $60 in the US.....or $100 for the "Gold" edition that includes the whole game........

I really didn't expect that game was going to be that bad. I've been buying Bethesda games since Daggerfall. I know what to expect with them.....and this is on a whole other plane of failure.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Yeah, there's nothing in 76 that makes sense. Also, why would there even BE vaults in West Virginia?? I've been there, I have family that lived there. Generations ago immigrated to there. It's very pretty, but.... Trust me, there'd be no Vault building.

To think, if you just played it on PC instead, you could have had the patch delete 50 Gb of data for you and pretended it was all a nightmare.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Vinny

Are memes real? Can you touch a meme?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Yup, good ‘ole Greenbriar. Thanks for exposing that secret, WaPo ☹️

My dad has been there and Cheyenne Mountain. Cheyenne is nicer. And you won’t get dysentery from its creek water. (true story. )

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows WaPo. Owned by Jeff Bezos. CEO of Amazon.com, probably the largest seller of video games, including Fallout 76. Coincidence? You decide.

<People interested in WaPo also looked at........ >

In hindsight, perhaps basing an entire virtual life around Greenbriar via Fallout 76 wasn't a good plan.

NEStalgia

Vinny

I played a bit of the 3DS version of Captain Toad back when it released. I resumed playing it recently and I really grew on me. Very clever puzzles, great soundtrack and it looks and runs great for a 3DS game!
Some non zoomable levels look small on the original's 3DS 3.5 inch screen, but it's not really their fault. They did an amazing job on this old hardware.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic