Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 24,941 to 24,960 of 96,481

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel Aha, so a quadrilogy, with The Hobbit included, then?
Hate to break it to you, but still not the complete edition...

And then there's also still The Silmarillion, so if you're up for it, there's a fifth book...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

Not really interested in the differences between complete and not complete as long as they tell the main story. These books do seem to have the most recent version though, whichever that might be.

I do want to get the silmarillion. Too bad it was not included in my mini collection, they're adorable.

It's cheap on kindle, but I don't really want to add yet another book to the backlog there at the moment.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel "whichever version that might be"

Well, the one with the latest print run, obviously, and the added foreword telling you that this is the latest, completely revised and re-edited edition...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

It says 2014 in the first page.

And it says "this edition contains all the corrections revisions that have been introduced since the release of the original publication".

Is that the latest version?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel I just checked, and it actually is. The only difference between the hardcover bound edition (which is the one I got) and the separate books, is that it misses the appendices and legends. But you've got the complete story otherwise.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel That's a pretty good looking set, so congrats on that purchase, also for the price: I paid almost 35 euros for my hardcover book, which contains only the trilogy, so in dollars, that's almost $40.

I was kinda messing with you, though. You're not missing anything important, unless you're a complete history and legends and lore nut. And it's not even real history, seeing as it's Middle Earth lore.

The extras contain more and/or elaborate back stories on all the families involved, family trees, lore and foot notes, so for all the people interested in those kinds of things, it's a worthwhile purchase, or for (obsessed) people like me, who don''t like "complete" editions if they aren't really complete...

And I also don't like the backs of books becoming worn or crinkled, which happens a lot with paperbacks, so whenever hardcovers are available, I'll always go for those.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

These are weird in the sense they're technically paperbacks, but the covers are more like a leatery rubbery plastic.

Bendy, but not paper-delicate.

As for negatives, being smaller books, the pages feature small text, and the pages themselves are relatively delicate. Not to the point of unreadable but still.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel Yeah, upon checking them out a second time, I did notice that. Would be too small for my taste,
and also for my eyes...

For me, it's also a bit of a notion/idea, that this story is what one would call a tome, a chronicle, and as such,
I find that a large, bound book fits that concept the best. Big story, big book. And it does exude something (alluring, almost magical, but certainly impressive), sitting in your book case...

But I can understand that it's not for everyone, and that even if it would be, not everyone has the shelf space or room to store all kinds of big versions of books.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

I'm back! For now...

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Didn't know you were actually gone? So, what's up with that?

ThanosReXXX

@Link-Hero Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I also enjoy reading hardcovers more, simply because with paperbacks, I never want to fold them open completely, due to that damaging the spine too much.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

@ThanosReXXX Wi-Fi decided to block NintendoLife and PushSquare among other sites. Can't seem to load them. It's been an issue for the past couple of days, ever since last Friday. It usually works between 6 and 8 pm, so maybe it's just that and I'll disappear again in a few minutes. But it hasn't been this stable for so long, so I hope the issue is gone.

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Aha, well, that's odd. Especially if it only happens since last week. You could try making an exception in your router, or simply cold resetting it, unless you have a lot of settings that you don't want to lose.

Octane

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I made a thread about it, but hardly anyone replied lol. I'm not really in the know when it comes to all that stuff. I've tried white-listing the websites through my router, but that didn't work, since it doesn't block them, it just can't load them. I played around with some settings, but to no avail. I'll wait and see how long this lasts, because it's back to normal for now.

Octane

Octane

@ThanosReXXX I spoke too early, the issue is back. I can only access the site using the data network on my phone. It's pretty annoying TBH.

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Well, I don't know if we're supposed to bother him with these things, but far as the tech side of things go, @antdickens is the go to person where NLife is concerned. Perhaps he can add his ideas/solutions, and as for other people helping you out, I wouldn't mind giving it a go, nor would several other people in this thread, I'm sure, so just give us the make and model of your router, and let's see what we can come up with.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Octane

@ThanosReXXX It's a Sitecom WLR 3100; the previous owner left it, and it worked fine, so I never bought a new one.

@antdickens One that comes to mind is VGChartz; the rest of the sites I visit on a daily basis all work fine.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic