Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 23,941 to 23,960 of 96,503

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: For a little while now, I've picked up some highly acclaimed RPGs as well as continuations of series that I've started playing. I'm making some headway since most are in the short-medium story range by RPG standards, but some like DQ VIII will definitely be long hauls. I didn't properly get into RPGs until a few years ago (Barring Pokemon) and am playing "catch up". I've at least touched some classics like Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Chrono Trigger to name a few.

I had to restrain myself last week from picking up XC1 and Radiant Historia on a whim.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

HobbitGamer

So who else took Smash to work?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia @ReaderRagfish I managed to take care of all my Friday and today stuff already. So I’m coasting for 4 hours

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Vinny

How can any console compete with the mighty SouljaGame Console?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

GeoChrome

@Vinny Nothing can beat the Chintendo Vii.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish That kind of LCD game brings back memories..... Tiger had a pinball one. It was actually awesome...the best of all the LCD games.

NEStalgia

Vinny

I remember when my mother got me one of those 9999 in 1 brick games.
It was mind blowing to 5 year old me.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish Wow, that was a remarkable idea.....I mean.....not even the internet came up with "WiiU can be played in the bathtub." They left it well enough alone with playing on the toilet where it belongs.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

I had a Lion King LCD game at one point. I frigging loved it and sometimes wish that I'd kept it. I'd even narrate the whole story or come up with my own spin on it. XD

@ReaderRagfish: The sheer length of DQ VII (according to HLTB) is the sole reason why I haven't picked it up. I may at some point, but for now I'm happy to wait on that one. I'm not avoiding all of the very long RPGs, I'm just trying to be extremely picky about which of them I do decide to grab and when. If only I'd had this lengthy RPG "problem" as a kid....XD

Referring to the bathtub story, I have one from an acquaintance of mine. They loved Chrono Trigger (SNES) so much as a kid that they took the cartridge with them into the bathtub. Needless to say it didn't work after that.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Eel

-Query returns over 24k rows.
-Use a foreach loop to go through all the data.
-Use another foreach loop inside the first loop to go through all the data again.
-Repeat the same process five different times.

I guess that solves the mistery of the page that took 30 minutes to open.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Vinny

YouTube Rewind 2018 was actually the worst video I've watched this year.

Eel

@ReaderRagfish the query requests information from a view, that combines data from four different tables into singular rows.

This code breaks the pieces and arranges them in understandable arrays.

It just needed some optimization. Made it go from a few billion loops to just under 100k. Which could probably be improved, but I guess that's fine for now.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: The irony is that my job requires a lot of sitting. The waiting? Not so much. I do a lot of bug fixing and some feature creation/enhancement, so unlike Hobbit I can only automate so much. XD I could probably get away with gaming over my lunch, but the few times I do bring something, it's usually a book.

What do you think of DQ VI? I've considered that one as well, but price and some meh reception have kept me away from that one.

HobbitGamer

@Delibheel lol, sounds like me fixing a report today. I forgot to select distinct records and it tried fetching 5k pages...

#MudStrongs

Tyranexx

@Delibheel: What are you working on? Web app? I'm also kinda curious what language(s) you're using. "View" brings to mind a MVC structure.

@ReaderRagfish: Maybe I'll play VI someday if I can find it at a more reasonable price online. Same with IX, though it isn't as pricey according to what I've found on the interwebs. I'll likely end up dipping into the used market for both at this point.

The only one I've played and finished is V, which I really enjoyed. I have IV and VIII backlogged. I don't ever expect to play the first three but would like to try all the others...barring X for obvious reasons.

HobbitGamer wrote:

lol, sounds like me fixing a report today. I forgot to select distinct records and it tried fetching 5k pages...

Nope, nobody else who has worked with databases has ever run into this before.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Eel

@Blitzenexx it's just old regular php and postgresql (in this case the view in question is a literal sql view). I don't work directly with the phone app itself, but this particular file is used by the app.

I usually just work on the desktop sites. But every now and then get to play with the app files.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tyranexx

@Delibheel: I've dealt a little with postgresql (mainly when I was briefly in Ruby On Rails), but a lot of my DB work happens in SQL Server these days. I actually had a class on PHP back in college, but the syntax just never set very well with me. Sounds fun at any rate!

Edit: To answer the above, Dragon Quest.

@ReaderRagfish: That's precisely my plan for the time being! I intend to just stick with the ones I have for now. I likely would have caved for DQ XI on 3DS if it had ever made it outside of Japan though. There's always (well, hopefully) the Switch for that.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic