Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 21,201 to 21,220 of 96,526

Octane

@ThanosReXXX I know, I'm only kidding The ''skyline'' of Amsterdam is pretty disappointing!

Octane

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Depends on what you're looking for. Me, I'm not really a fan of skyscrapers, or most other concrete, steel and glass constructions, bar the exception of something aesthetically pleasing or constructively marvelous...

I have grown REALLY fond of the water ways and the old canal-side streets, that wind their way through the city. And so many buildings in the city simply ooze history and tradition. It's an atmosphere that is almost tangible,
like you can feel it, when you walk past them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Octane

@ThanosReXXX Yeah for sure, it's better than having the gherkin in your backyard. I've lived in one of those 70's concrete Soviet flats in the beautiful city of Ede for a while. I'm glad I'm out of that place lol!

Thinking about it, any building of significant size would probably either sink into the ground or require some technological marvel to keep it standing in Amsterdam.

Octane

Eel

Six stories is pretty tall for me...

The tallest building in my town is like four floors high. And it looks terrible. No windows at all.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Aha, Ede. I've actually served there. As a citizen, with a Dutch passport, I had to go into the army, because back then, it was still an obligation. Nowadays, the Dutch army and special forces all consist of professionals or volunteers. The country side was okay, lots of foresty areas, but the city was kinda meh..

Amsterdam does have quite a few large buildings, though, but mostly in the industrial and/or business areas. So think banks and other corporations, and it also has a World Trade Center office.

And they simply jam a lot of concrete poles into the ground, or make re-bar platforms/constructs, before building on it. And all waterways have been dammed in/cut off, so only surface and sea water is of any influence, but the Dutch are quite famous for being able to handle those kinds of problems.

@Yosheel That actually sounds kinda sad. Wouldn't want to be living there, although the country itself is something that is still most definitely on my bucket list.

Anyways, guys, dinner time, so see you all later...
Untitled

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

Oh well it's worth mentioning this building is not an apartment building, I don't think anybody actually lives there. I think it's the offices and storage of the clothes shop in the ground floor.

I also live in the least inhabited state of Mexico, in a small city in the middle of a desert in the middle of a peninsula. There's regular modern cities with tall apartment buildings in other areas of the country.

Though to be honest it's a really good tourist spot. We have whale watching, beaches surrounding most of the state, easy access to the worlds loveliest gulf, ancient cave paintings, criminals only shot each other, etc. All those nice things.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Octane

@ThanosReXXX When I lived there, I saw military helicopters and planes on a daily basis. They're still using that place.

I'm sure there's a cost vs value trade off, where it's exponentially more expensive to put down one tall building instead of a bunch of smaller ones. Especially the apartment buildings, since they're tied to a renting price, and they usually need to make their money back in a certain amount of years.

Octane

Tyranexx

@Octane: Here you go.

Untitled

@Yosheel: If I'm thinking of the right state, isn't Cabo San Lucas a big thing there?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

I was actually there just earlier.

It's not super hot with local tourists, it's more of a thing for foreign tourists with more money than sense. But it is certainly pretty.

San Jose del Cabo (the other Cabo) and Todos Santos are more cultural and just as pretty.

I personally prefer La Paz. It's a bit less Americanized.

Go up north and you have Santa Rosalia, a French influenced mining town, and Loreto, a nice traditional Mexican town with a focus on tourism.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

HobbitGamer

All this discussion of pretty scenery, and I'm just driving past cotton fields on the way to work. Meh.

I've got to provide agency-wide training in 6 hours, all because of two people that can't get their act together. As it turns out, what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. Nor for the one feeding said gander. So I decided I'm going to make interaction mandatory, and review their respective site locations in front of the whole room. And I will be throwing candy at them. It's just salty enough to get my point across, without suffering complaints to my supervisor.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Haruki_NLI

RIP job dreams.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DannyBoi

The Nintendo Switch Online service is only a month(ish) away! Finally have cloud save when it comes:). Who is getting a subscription?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

HobbitGamer

@DannyBoi Day one subscriber here. I’m also looking forward to playing dr Mario online!

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

Yosheel wrote:

I was actually there just earlier.

It's not super hot with local tourists, it's more of a thing for foreign tourists with more money than sense. But it is certainly pretty.

San Jose del Cabo (the other Cabo) and Todos Santos are more cultural and just as pretty.

I personally prefer La Paz. It's a bit less Americanized.

Go up north and you have Santa Rosalia, a French influenced mining town, and Loreto, a nice traditional Mexican town with a focus on tourism.

Ah. Tbh I've only heard about San Lucas from a soap opera my parents still watch, and "more money than sense" definitely applies to a lot of the show's characters. XD I don't know why they still bother watching it, the show just generates drama for the sake of it. Also, half the characters have been married to each other multiple times.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Lloiddd

@ThanosReXXX looking good on that fried rice. I actually meant to make some from left over rice it's been sitting in my freezer for a week now I'm too lazy to make it. I'm buying groceries and meal prepping with crock pot (vegetarian curry + ingredients for chicken tostada), I might just have to really make it tonight, thanks for inspiration.

PS It looks like you made fried rice and you got left over eggs and so you fried it. That's how it turns out for me when I make French toast.

FC Switch and 3DS 2810-1724-7536

ThanosReXXX

@Lloiddd It's an omelet. Just put a couple of eggs in a cup, stir 'em all together, bake 'em, and voilà!

And it's not just fried rice: It's nasi goreng, with chicken filet morsels, and fresh, cut up vegetables.
The vegetables and chicken are spiced in nasi goreng bumbu (paste made of various spices), and all is stir-fried together in a large, cast iron wok, and then I added the cooked rice. Either white or brown rice, and then mix it together and heat it up a bit more.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
"It's nasi goreng, with chicken filet morsels, and fresh, cut up vegetables.
The vegetables and chicken are spiced in nasi goreng bumbu (paste made of various spices), and all is stir-fried together in a large, cast iron wok, and then I added the cooked rice. Either white or brown rice, and then mix it together and heat it up a bit more."

LOL
I'm eating Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng) right now.
I have cooked by myself just now.
Untitled

I used Mushroom, Bean sprouts, Scrambled eggs, Onion & Shallot as my main ingredients.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter I like mine to be a bit more varied and filled, with more different kinds of vegetables
and greens. And spicy as well. I mostly use either sambal oelek, or Tabasco sauce.

Vegetables I use are mushroom, red and white onions, leek, white cabbage, green paprika, and red pepper,
all cut up and stir-fried together with the chicken.

I sometimes cut up and mix in the scrambled egg as well, but this time, I simply decided to make a whole omelet.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Oh, and I like BIG portions, as you can see on my photo one page back. Your portion would be WAY too small for me. I need to feel that I've actually eaten an entire dinner, not just a snack bite...

Eel

I just scramble my eggs with ham, sausage, or tortilla. Sometimes onion.

Maybe a combination of them if I'm feeling fancy.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic