Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 15,741 to 15,760 of 96,242

Tyranexx

What about the two GBA Fire Emblem games on the Wii U VC? Are those better? O.o The only FE I've played so far (other than trying out a couple of chapters of Shadow Dragon when I first got it) is Awakening.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

CanisWolfred

Tyranexx wrote:

What about the two GBA Fire Emblem games on the Wii U VC? Are those better? O.o The only FE I've played so far (other than trying out a couple of chapters of Shadow Dragon when I first got it) is Awakening.

Yes. While I haven't played FE 4 & 5 (and Fates), Shadow Dragon is by far the worst in the series that I've ever experienced. Everything is a step up from that, and the GBA games are honestly up there with Awakening as the best in the series, IMO. Granted, I'd also include 6 with that statement, but that game is JPN-only, so hey.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

TomJ wrote:

@CanisWolfred About your comment on Shadow Dragon, why us everyone so hard on it? I've never played FE, not yet at least, and I want to play that one to get into the series.

Because it's a strategy game that, in practice, is more like a puzzle game (like every singleplayer strategy game, honestly, because there's only so many ways a dev could expect you to progress through a single level) - except now it has new mechanics that were never accounted for, without any noticeable changes to the level design outside of a boring 3-chapter prologue that emphasises the other pitfall: it was originally an RPG from the 8-Bit era, and therefore all the shoehorned drama and characters in the first half never really reach the heights of the latest games, and there's lots of mook characters who I can't even be called characters, they're so generic and have hardly any dialogue. Also, losing characters doesn't seem to have as much of an impact. I dunno if any of the other FE games do this and I just never noticed, but in both the Famicom version, and the DS remake, whenever I lost some non-essential troops, by the next chapter I had more mooks to make up for the ones I lost. At least it was a little less stressful knowing that these pawns are literally worthless, but it kind of came at the sacrifice of the emotional impact usually associated with death in the series. And not in the awesome way Awakening does it, where everyone gets back up afterwords and just walks off death.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tyranexx

I'll likely still play Shadow Dragon as I already have the game, though whether or not I finish the storyline depends on my overall enjoyment level. I can kind of see where you're coming from about it being slightly more like a puzzle game, in any case. I played enough before to get that impression; I was testing it out to make sure it worked as it's a used cartridge.

TomJ wrote:

I played Golden Sun Dark Dawn before playing the first two, loved it, and realized why people didn't like that game. Maybe the same will happen for me here?

Looks like I know which order I'll be playing the Golden Sun series in.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

CanisWolfred

@Tyranexx Well, the puzzle bit was more of a general statement, it's not really a knock against the game, it just comes with the territory. The only part I'm fussed about has to do with the fact that the pieces don't exactly work the same way that they did when they designed the old levels, so it feels more wonky than it should. Like...imagine that you have a jigsaw puzzle, and you're trying to put it all together, and all the pieces fit like they should, but the box shows these blue pieces, despite the fact that they changed blue to green in the HD Remake, yet they still use the old reference picture. So now you're all discombobulated, and you got this green cat and I mean...who ever heard of a green cat?! Hey look guys, it's St. Patrick the P****!!! Yeah....that...crap, I shouldn'ta wrote that considering what I just spent the last hour doing...

Really, I just finished eating dinner at 1 AM. That's one long-@$$ meal. And now I want green eggs and ham...or maybe mint ice cream...I know it sounds weird, but it tastes really good...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ogo79

CanisWolfred wrote:

Really, I just finished eating dinner at 1 AM. That's one long-@$$ meal. And now I want green eggs and ham...or maybe mint ice cream...I know it sounds weird, but it tastes really good...

mint ice cream is good
Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

yokokazuo

I personally enjoy Shadow Dragon (but it certainly has its issues and it is one of my lesser liked FE games). But yeah one of my main issues is the way you recruit some characters. You basically have to kill off a bunch of characters in order to access some gaiden chapter and I've never liked losing units at all.

However one of my favourite things about Shadow Dragon that I prefer over every other game in the series is the multiplayer. Fates is fairly good, but Shadow Dragon actually has an objective that must be captured and held and you could use fog of war. I just hate some online matches I've had in Fates where it's a waiting game of who will move first (or some OP DLC skills). Plus in Shadow Dragon you have ballista that can kill from afar, i just love my wooden Calvary team i made in it. (Jake, Beck and Xane along with a mounted and flying unit to find targets in FoW)

Overall I think New Mystery of the Emblem improved over Shadow Dragon and is the better game, but the only downside is no ballista class is recruitable.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Luna_110

@GameOtaku
Castlevania Legends not being in the VC could be due to Iga practically disavowing it. It isn't in any of the official timelines, before the reboot anyway. Because otherwise, I don't see why Konami would waste a chance to get revenue without doing anything.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

TheLegendOfLaser

@CanisWolfred Mint ice cream is the best ice cream.

"Squirtle!" - Squirtle
Currently playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, Super Mario 3D World, SSB4, and Paladins.

ogo79

CanisWolfred wrote:

@ogo79 Dangit man! Ugh...is Stewarts open at 4 AM? Whatever, I'll just find a way in...

www.icecreamburglars.net

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

GameOtaku

@Luna_110
Neither is circle of the moon last I checked. It had the best story of all the Gameboy vanias (a woman Belmont, future descendants with an intimate connection to their greatest foe!) I'm hopeful they open the floodgates and release all VC titles on 3ds (NES, master system, SNES , Gameboy all variations, tg16......)

GameOtaku

ogo79

GameOtaku wrote:

@Luna_110
Neither is circle of the moon last I checked.

yeah iga dismissed it from the timeline lol

the_shpydar wrote:

RR529

Dream Time:

I was in middle school, and we had to look things up about politicians, and write what we thought about them or what they said. For some reason, my father was the teacher, we were looking up information on tablets (which didn't exist when I was in middle school), though mine was having trouble loading things up, and the younger sister of a girl I had a crush on way back then was in the class (I don't even think she had a sister IRL, but in the dream she did).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

...So I was contemplating my argument against the need for more well-endowed fictional females on an imageboard, since the auxilary equipment does not seem to increase their overall aesthetic value.

...And then I woke up.

I'm having weird dreams lately...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ogo79

i had a dream i was standing in front of a refrigerator and it was filled with sandwiches.
the refrigerator was glass and all i could see was mountains of sandwiches...and i couldnt get to it. i just couldnt do it. it had a lock on it.

the_shpydar wrote:

Vinny

What are some really easy but relaxing games like Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epic Yarn?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

aaaaaaaaaylmao

@Vinny
Dark Souls kappa

I'd look into bejeweled clones or point-and-click games like Phoenix Wright (I think)

aaaaaaaaaylmao

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic