Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 13,321 to 13,340 of 96,490

Boyd

Can someone help me please? My 3DS SD card one day just decided to be write protected. I tried flipping the switch on the side, but didn't work. Now I cant access my SD card data. I looked up about every single way of doing it! If you have any suggestions or ideas PLEASE tell me!

Untitled

Edited on by Boyd

“Aw, that's a bunch of hooey! Survival on a battlefield depends on experience and luck. Nothing more! If you dive into battle with a conceited attitude, you'll end up dead no matter what blood is in your veins!”
—Boyd

veeflames

@Boyd: Does the SD Card work in any other device? If no, then I'm guessing the switch is broken. You can try doing the following, but AT YOUR OWN RISK; try removing the switch itself and insert it back again. Note how the switch looks like and figure out which end goes into the SD Card and which end requires you to push up or down. See if it works now.
If yes to the question above, then you might want to try a bunch of other SD Cards. If they don't work, then your 3DS SD Card slot is probably shot... If they do work, it seems the 3DS has a certain problem with the faulty SD Card. You can also try to see whether removing the switch and putting it back works.
Hope this helps!

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Boyd

@Vee_Flames Well, what do you mean "AT YOUR OWN RISK." What would happen?

Also, it is write protected in my computer too. So does that mean the switch broke?

EDIT: I just put my SD card in my brother's 3DS XL and it isn't write protected! I don't know what this means, but...

EDIT 2: It did say it couldn't create enough space on the 3DS SD, so maybe it needs more space?

Edited on by Boyd

“Aw, that's a bunch of hooey! Survival on a battlefield depends on experience and luck. Nothing more! If you dive into battle with a conceited attitude, you'll end up dead no matter what blood is in your veins!”
—Boyd

Rumorlife

@Boyd: At your own risk would probably mean, in case you damage the card itself, or for some reason flash the memory blank and lose everything.
It's weird it says it's locked but also it says there's not enough space, but it sounds like it's saying it's not being allowed to access the SD card but is reading it as "no memory" because it's protected. Seems like it may be damaged somehow. I'm not sure how you'd fix it, but as long as the memory isn't deleted on the actual SD card there may be a way out there to access the data or at least trick it into being unlocked.

@GrahamZA: Do you live in a big city? I use to live just outside a big city (Not in SA) but I'd never get passes, but then I moved into the city again, and often will I get passes. Oddly enough, South Africa is the only country in Africa besides Egypt and someone who set theirs to Madagascar that I've streetpassed. A couple times too! They're out there!

Off topic to those responses;
I wonder who's posts got deleted? I thought I knew but they're still there actually. It happened all over the place too. This thread especially seems like I'm obsessed with breadt because that's the second page I topped with saying I love it.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Boyd

If I did wipe the whole SD card data and get a new one, what would be deleted? My Nintendo Id, Friends, Eshop money, anything else?

—Boyd

mystman12

@Boyd: Make sure before you do anything you put the SD card into a computer and copy everything to make a backup! That way, if you damage the card you can just paste the backup onto a new one.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

veeflames

@Boyd: If it's write protected on more than one device, it's most likely the switch (the SD Card lock). Now if you want to remove the switch and put it back, you have to remember that the switch is VERY small and if you lose it, that could mean never, ever accessing the content in the SD Card again. So you have to be very careful when pulling out the switch. There's also the possibility that the casing of the card might be damaged but since I really don't think there's a big possibility that might happen. Worst case scenario, the casing might just slip off a little and you can fasten it back. Now obviously, this is why I said do this at your own risk.
What message came up on your brother's 3DS when you popped in the SD Card? Isn't it going to overwrite everything? :/

God first.

Boyd

@mystman12 could walk me how to create a copy of the data on a windows 10 computer?

@Vee_Flames Then, how to fix it?

Edited on by Boyd

—Boyd

Rumorlife

Boyd wrote:

If I did wipe the whole SD card data and get a new one, what would be deleted? My Nintendo Id, Friends, Eshop money, anything else?

It would basically be like having a fresh start on your 3DS, it probably would delete everything except a few system settings and anything else saved on the actual system itself. Some of those settings may reset anyway or be reset by choices you make when setting it up. That'd be a bad idea to do if you wanted to keep any purchases you've made as those will go away.

Rumorlife

Boyd

Well, I think i'll hold up on trying to fix it. If I need to do anything with my games or anything, i'll use my brother's. Thanks for the help though!

Untitled

—Boyd

Eel

Deleting the contents of the card will only delete the local data (save files, digital games, etc). It won't delete your ID, eshop data, My Nintendo, miiverse account, etc.

It would be no different from inserting a fresh new SD card in your 3DS.

Still, those poor digital games. If you can back up your sd card and copy all the contents to a new one, then it should work fine. With some tweaking.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Boyd

@Meowpheel Thanks a ton!

—Boyd

Inkling

So I finally watched Zootopia/Zootropolis/Zoowhatever.

My new favourite movie. Seriously.

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

veeflames

@Inkling: I need to watch that film (isn't it obvious?).

God first.

veeflames

@Undead_terror: What? It isn't obvious?
Or are you just messing with me? I think you are.

God first.

Blue_Blur

So I started playing Shantae: Risky's Revenge (Director's Cut) this morning, and had a lot of fun with it! It was all good until I saved at one of the green wizards, and pressed the power button to turn the system off. The game froze, and I had to force shut down my Wii U.. Obviously a glitch, but weird to see a glitch at a very common spot in the game. Besides that though, loving the game! The more I play, the more I think "Shantae for (the next) smash!!!"

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Luna_110

My country's football selection plays tonight for a qualificatory match for Russia 2018 and I'm sick as a dog here, so I won't be able to watch it with my friends as planned. I hate being sick...

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Socar

I got a question.....can downloads be the same as copies?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I want to know that if a game gets many downloads, does that mean that the game makes profit? Because when a game sells a million copies, that is gurantee to make the company some profit compared to 1 million downloads where profit really depends on the microtransactions and please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic