Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 12,621 to 12,640 of 96,530

darklinkinfinite

Sigh, it looks like Mario 64 may lose to Undertale on Gamefaqs' best game ever poll.

Undertale has somehow beat both Super Mario World and Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. I'd wager no one will remember undertale in five years.

darklinkinfinite

SuperWiiU

darklinkinfinite wrote:

Sigh, it looks like Mario 64 may lose to Undertale on Gamefaqs' best game ever poll.

Undertale has somehow beat both Super Mario World and Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. I'd wager no one will remember undertale in five years.

There's a movement that's pushing Undertale votes, some people just like trolling the voting system.

Socar

I hate how the forums as well as reality here can't take my opinions for granted but take others for granted. If I say that many game developers are lazy, that's harsh when its the truth if someone else says it otherwise. If I say that SEGA should go bankrupt, that's wrong to say but its ok for someone to get angry about Konami and say the same thing and everyone's fine with that because the ones who are defending Konami are lower than SEGA right?

Frustration is how I want to say that I am feeling at this point both at home and at work. If the forums have a problem with me, then I'm doubtful whether my words could be meaningful no matter how sensible the topics I want to discuss about. Heck I wonder whether the things that I want to do like forming my own company is something that everyone is against off and I wonder if the curses that I get from the comments can actually be like a fortune teller's exact prediction that my life will end up being meaningless in the end.

Yeah, I get that things aren't always on the happy side, but the fact that its ok that the others do it unlike me and if my decisions are questionable, then yeah, that's the problem I'm dealing with here.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Aviator

You say it's the truth but only offer anecdotal evidence to support your claims.

Provide your claims with fact and people will believe you.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

00a

darklinkinfinite wrote:

Considering that the Undertale fanbase is more active than the Mario fanbase, I'm sure Undertale is going to be around for a while.

I know now, without a doubt, Keyloggery is light!
I make stupid videos

NintendoFan64

darklinkinfinite wrote:

Speaking of which, to my understanding, and please let me know if I'm wrong, but in the Gamefaqs polls, it's one game being pitted against another, right? Because if that's the case, wouldn't it have made more sense for Undertale to go against something like...oh...I don't know...EARTHBOUND!? Y'know! The game that Undertale is considered to be somewhat of a spiritual successor to!?
@Lastaofpizza Right. I can see it's popularity maybe dying down a little at some point, but I don't see it going away for a while.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

GamecubeMan

Yeah, I would take anything on Gamefaqs with a grain of salt. Except for the undisputable fact that Cory in the House for the DS is the single greatest creative work man has ever had a hand in making. u_u

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

MegaMari0

I've begun shifting my career more into the web developer/programmer side of the IT spectrum. Any advice on particular web technologies that are hot? Just curious to for y'alls 2 cents.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Socar

@NintendoFan64: Atleast Earthbound has three games whereas Undertale only has one. I don't see it being a successor to Earthbound since well the game has more than one ending and the visuals are actually better than earthbound(Seriously, Earthbound barely has any animation in it!).

But its really bad that the game didn't win for the game awards.....really upsetting.

Edited on by Socar

NintendoFan64

@GamecubeMan CORY IS BEST WAIFU!
@Artwark I can see where people are going for with calling it an Earthbound successor, in that it has that Earthbound charm. And yes, it does suck that it didn't win anything at the Game Awards, but whatever. It didn't change my opinion toward the game, so it doesn't affect me, even if it would've been nice for it to get something.
Also, while we're on the subject of Gamefaqs, let me share with you this little dab of salt:

Oooh...salty!
Untitled
I'm sorry, I can't help but find this hilarious! They are paying actual money just so that Undertale doesn't win in a poll that is completely meaningless!

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Socar

@NintendoFan64: Where does that happen?!?! I never seen Sans do that? And I didn't find it funny.....

Captain_Toad

@Socar: its not. that's because somebody ripped a sprite of sans, edited in a few animations in a image editing program, change a few properties and bam! Those used mainly used in flash animations, gifs (like this one), some avatars on forums and internet use (like this one), some fan games, etc.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

-Green-

Had an interesting past day or so. Decided to go screw around on a separate forum and... it was definitely a very strange experience. "Met" a bunch of very introverted and somewhat aggressive individuals. It was hilarious and interesting learning experience, but I think I'll stay away from introverted and nihilistic individuals for a bit. At the very least, it was a good learning experience and provided me a glimpse into areas foreign to me; such as Atheism and such. Don't think I'll ever be going back though.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Araquanid

Everybody is complaining about undertale potentially being consider the best game on a (meaningless) forum like gamefaqs (honestly, I've seen 4chan and reddit seem more mature and creditable), but my question is why?

No body has really given a reason why it's a crime.

Personally, I think the game does deserve that kind of respect, there are some controversal themes in it that some may not like.... but I think that's the beauty of it. Something that games lack today is risk, and undertales uses that questionably horrific, traumatizing, offensive, symbolism, and content that today's games are starting to lack each new title. Remember how earthbound took the risk of making giygas who would scare children all over in an otherwise friendly game? Or the themes of prositutes, religious groups, and apocolypses? That's what I feel makes undertale stand out... it shares that risk taking, well made variety of character designs that you always remember similar to earthbound. I think every new ip we've recieved lately, we forget about the name of any characters right away.. cause there's nothing memorable worth talking about them.

Is it a fun game though? eh... yeah it's ok. I'd replay it as much as earthbound that's all I can say... but just like mother 3 which is more enjoyable to watch chuggaconroy voice act than actually play yourself, I feel undertale is in that similar position. It's just one of those games like FnaF where if you spoil the entire lore before buying the game, you know everything there is to know and shouldn't bother playing it due to lack of discovery. You will not recieve the same enjoyment just doing a solo run just because you can, the enjoyment is the laughs and shifting plots that you discover yourself unexpectedly.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

crimsontadpoles

The people complaining about Undertale being the best game probably just either don't like it, or they find other games to be much more worthy of winning the vote. I doubt it's the controversial themes that are causing people to complain.

Undertale seems like the sort if game you have to spend some time with before you can appreciate it. People who take one look at it may not see the appeal. I didn't understand why people were telling me to play it until I tried the demo, which I ended up greatly enjoying.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

Shinion

]

Lastaofpizza wrote:

Considering that the Undertale fanbase is more active than the Mario fanbase, I'm sure Undertale is going to be around for a while.

That might have sense in it somewhere, I don't see any personally though. Active? Active in what sense, and where? Active on GameFAQs? Active as in they go exercising every day? There are several reasons as to why Undertale is popular and is winning polls like this, but your comment makes no sense.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

-Green-

In a super simplistic way of putting it, it's mostly just fanboys being fanboys and haters being haters. Undertale is a good game in its own right, although imo it is overly praised.

@TomJ: I think the main appeal to Undertale is its Characters and its unique charm; also maybe because it's an Indie.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic