Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 12,161 to 12,180 of 96,321

Eel

Most games that rely on color recognition and have a color blind mode add textures or shapes to the different colors.

For example, if its a puzzle, the red piece becomes hearts, the blue piece becomes a circle, the yellow piece becomes a star, etc. If the color covers a large area, then for one color you can add vertical lines, for other horizontal likes, for other a checkered pattern, etc.

In your case, your boss absolutely correct. You want the largest amount of people possible to buy and play your game. Just shrugging off people with slightly different capacities, specially color blindness or left handedness, with a simple "well, they simply can't play it" is not an acceptable business move.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Socar

@Darth_Vader: I haven't played Splatoon even though I've seen it.
@Morpheel: But do all companies ever bother to solve this issue? You look at Nintendo games like Mario Kart 8 and yet, the game still sells well despite not having a feature for color blindness.

If he's defending this fact, then he might as well ask how blind or deaf people can play the game. Some things can only be done but at what cost? Color Blindness doesn't seem to be a blindness disease so people would have to get used to such things. For someone left handed, not every game is going to support left handies. Color blindness can might as well be ignored. Now I understand that I'm being harsh here but since it doesn't actually make someone blind and the fact that its extremely rare, why should large companies ever consider this issue that some consumers have?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Eel

Except you don't need to see many colors to play Mario kart.

From what you say, your game is based around colors.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

veeflames

@Artwark: Like Morpheel said, you don't need color to play Mario Kart 8. Or even sound, because everything you need to know is either on the TV or the GamePad.
But you say your game places a big emphasis on color. So does Splatoon (maybe less, but you get the point), and Splatoon has a mode for color-blind people. In your case, I think it's just a matter of making the objects display really contrasting colors to accommodate color-blind people.
As for other disabled persons such as the blind or the deaf, I suspect deaf gamers have hearing aids to help them hear sounds and music. For the blind... well, I think they can only play games totally designed for such a group; for example, games that are designed around music, sound and feedback.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

GrizzlyArctos

@Artwark: Normally companies want as many people to play their games as possible, so they have no logical reason to exclude potential players if they can come up with a solution that allows more people to play the game. If I remember right, Nintendo went as far to make a controller that allowed people to play NES games hands free, so people who may not have hands or arms would be able to play. While it probably wasn't a successful solution to the problem, it's still worth noting that they tried to allow more people to play their games.

Yes, I like bears.

Socar

@Morpheel: Yeah but what's the point of it if the disease itself is so rare? wouldn't that mean to like what can the entire game out because of this little thing that is so extremely rare? The fact that playing the original Super Mario Bros could ruin one's experience because of this defect simply means he might as well go blind? What about nearly every Game Boy Color game that incorporates Red, Green and all?

I don't see the point of it. if its only around the 10% that have this problem, then why even bother with it for so little issue? That's like saying that 10% of gamers love Vita and yet its a niche market.

Araquanid

I wouldn't punish the handicapped just because "they're minority". I know a lot of business do this, but for what you're making, there isn't a reason as to why the smallest implemention such as textures or shapes in addition to color shouldn't be implemented for the sake of an extra couple thousand players. Honestly, the counter excuse is one word: lazy, don't want to bother putting a couple extra hours of work into the title. When I did game designing, I made sure everybody bar just flat out blind people could still have some enjoyment out of it.

This is kinda why I didn't like Fnaf 4's concept, as I have a slight hearing handicap where I can only detect certain frequencies, but ah well who cares about wee ol' me, I'm just a minority.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Socar

@MegaBeedrill: If its lazy, then why aren't companies solving this "minor thing?" You do know that adding more features to a games makes the production even more expensive right?

Also, unless technology allows such possibilities, I don't see how the blind can even play the games.....personally.

Araquanid

Artwark wrote:

You do know that adding more features to a games makes the production even more expensive right?

If the game developer is on a budget then they really shouldn't be making an incomplete game at all then.

More features = higher quality
higher quality = better reception

If you haven't noticed, people are absolutely picky over the minor details in games. I suggest forking over a couple extra dollars to implement one minor detail that'd increase quality for other groups of players rather than skimping and losing out on sales. I don't know what type of game it is you're making, but it can't possibly be that difficult to make it compatable with colorblind people unless it's like a candy crush type game.. which you can still use shapes. (Colorblind is not the same as blind... a colorblind person's vision just looks like an old cartoon or the begining of wizard of oz. You can easily make shapes and textures for a colorblind's vision.)

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Eel

Color blindness does not necessarily involve monochrome vision. They simply can't differentiate some colors from others.

Bloop.

HankLangley

If you have a pet bird how many of you can get it to be your buddy on your shoulder

real Italian meatballs are made by real Italian meatball men.

Used to be Doge

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

Eel

I used to have a cat that would do that. He was a bit heavier than a bird though.

When you least expected it, he jumped down from the roof to land on you shoulder. It was a bit painful.

I miss him.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

NintendoFan64

I need to try that with my dog...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

-Green-

Great, now I miss my cat too. -_-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Socar

Once again, I'm beginning to hate life like before. I can't seem to understand how I can end up getting depressed all the time really.

Also @Morpheel Can I make a thread about MSX games? Unless there's already a thread to discuss that?

NintendoFan64

@Aromaiden: Sorry to hear about your cat.
@Sergio151: BUTTERED TOAST!...I should really watch Ed Edd n' Eddy again some time. I used to love that show when I was younger.
@Artwark: Sorry to hear that. Wish there was something I could do to help make you feel better.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

Socar

I made a post about Iwata-san's death in my blog. Can anyone of you like go to my blog, red that article and like tell me if I have given him enough respect? I feel guilty if I haven't said everything great about him.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic