Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 10,721 to 10,740 of 96,508

nacho_chicken

DefHalan wrote:

nacho_chicken wrote:

So I'm in the process of making a little pet-project RPG right now, and was thinking of streaming development on Twitch. If I did, would anybody want to watch? You could come and ask questions or stuff. I just don't know whether it would be worth the hassle.

Just wondering, are you using RPG-Maker or something else?

Game Maker: Studio. The game is programmed completely from scratch.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

DefHalan

nacho_chicken wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

nacho_chicken wrote:

So I'm in the process of making a little pet-project RPG right now, and was thinking of streaming development on Twitch. If I did, would anybody want to watch? You could come and ask questions or stuff. I just don't know whether it would be worth the hassle.

Just wondering, are you using RPG-Maker or something else?

Game Maker: Studio. The game is programmed completely from scratch.

That does increase my interest but I just don't have time to watch. I am working on stuff in Construct 2 right now, since Wii U supports that.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LaserdiscGal

nacho_chicken wrote:

Yeah I'd watch that

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Joeynator3000

...Kinda wished I could get back into making my RPG. >.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

nacho_chicken

DefHalan wrote:

That does increase my interest but I just don't have time to watch. I am working on stuff in Construct 2 right now, since Wii U supports that.

Cool to see another game dev here! I'm curious; what are you working on?
BTW: Game Maker Studio actually does support Wii U exports through a proprietary HTML5 wrapper. One of my engines is actually being used by a Wii U dev. It also natively supports PS3, PS4, PS Vita, and XBone.

But really, I just want to make a game that I would want to play.

@Megumi
I understand your pain. I kind of took a break from game development after being pretty darn sick since a year ago. It feels good to be back, though.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Twitter:

DefHalan

nacho_chicken wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

BTW: Game Maker Studio actually does support Wii U exports through a proprietary HTML5 wrapper. One of my engines is actually being used by a Wii U dev. It also natively supports PS3, PS4, PS Vita, and XBone.

That is my goal too, but most of my experience is in Unreal Engine 3 making prototypes, not full games. So I am just wanting to make something simple. Right now I am working on a Twin-Stick shooter and in the future I plan to make a Metroidvania with the focus on Platforming, instead of combat.

I am not very far into my project, do you think it would be smart to restart and make it in Game Maker: Studio?

Edited on by DefHalan

nacho_chicken

DefHalan wrote:

That is my goal too, but most of my experience is in Unreal Engine 3 making prototypes, not full games. So I am just wanting to make something simple. Right now I am working on a Twin-Stick shooter and in the future I plan to make a Metroidvania with the focus on Platforming, instead of combat.

I am not very far into my project, do you think it would be smart to restart and make it in Game Maker: Studio?

I don't really know anything about Unreal Engine development, but if you're used to 3D, GMS' 3D requires very low-level knowledge (programming-wise) of how to project in a 3D space, so it's not the best for fast 3D programming. From what I know of Construct 2, it's more geared towards entry-level devs, so GMS might be the next step up. If you already know C or C++, GMS' proprietary programming language (GML) has very similar syntax. It's also really handy for fast development of 2D games, regardless of one's prior experience with coding. No messing with source files, build errors, and - the best pro in my book - no having to mess with SDL.
All really depends on what your past experience is, what you're planning to do with it, and how much work you're willing to put in.

Some pretty popular games that have been made with GMS:

• Luftrausers
  • Risk of Rain
  • Stealth Basta--... er, I mean, Stealth Inc.
  • Hotline Miami
  • Nidhogg
  • Valdis Story

I'm currently setting up OBS with Twitch, so I should be ready soon!

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Twitter:

LaserdiscGal

@nacho_Chicken would you mind @amiibo ing me when you go live, I'm working on something at the moment and I may forget to check.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

DefHalan

I have heard both when comparing GMS and Construct 2. I have heard arguments about both of them being easier than the other. The main reason why I started with Construct 2 is because the Wii U supports it pretty easily and there have been games made in it and released on the system. (example: anything RCMADIAX made basically) When I was doing research GMS didn't support the Wii U as easily and I had seen devs leave GMS for a different engine because of that (example: Stealth Inc 2. The first was made in GMS but I don't think the 2nd was)

I am at work for another 30 minutes, I will watch your stream until I have to leave lol

Edited on by DefHalan

Joeynator3000

nacho_chicken wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

@Megumi
I understand your pain. I kind of took a break from game development after being pretty darn sick since a year ago. It feels good to be back, though.

Well for me I just get stuck, and the worst part was that absolutely no one would help. And when I did find someone who said they would help, they vanish from the internet. So I kinda gave up after that.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

DefHalan

I am there, I just don't have a Twitch account so it won't let me chat

You can see how often I actually use Twitch lol

RR529

Looking for some new YouTube channels/programs to watch, and am wondering if I could get some suggestions?

I currently watch:

• All Time 10's (All Time 10's)
    Awe Me (Man At Arms/Man At Arms: Reforged)
    DYKGaming (Did You Know Gaming?, Easter Egg Hunting, VG Facts 5 Trivia)
    GameXplain (Analysis, Cool Bits)
    Game Trailers (GT Cowntdown, Pop Facts, Pop Fiction, Timeline)
    ScrewAttack (1 Minute Melee, Death Battle, Five Fun Facts, ScrewAttack Top 10)
    Team Four Star (Dragon Ball Z Abridged)
    The Game Theorists (Culture Shock, Game Exchange, Game Theory)

So Anything else you think I should be checking out? As you may have noticed, a lot of it is Top 5/10 lists & Trivia, and while more gaming channels with the same kind of stuff is always welcome, what I would really like to know is if there are any anime related channels that put up similar content with the same level of regularity & polish that these gaming channels do.

BTW, I'm not all that interested in LP's.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DefHalan

@RR529

Have you watched the Yu-Gi-Oh abridge series?

Joeynator3000

RR529 wrote:

Looking for some new YouTube channels/programs to watch, and am wondering if I could get some suggestions?

I currently watch:

• All Time 10's (All Time 10's)
    Awe Me (Man At Arms/Man At Arms: Reforged)
    DYKGaming (Did You Know Gaming?, Easter Egg Hunting, VG Facts 5 Trivia)
    GameXplain (Analysis, Cool Bits)
    Game Trailers (GT Cowntdown, Pop Facts, Pop Fiction, Timeline)
    ScrewAttack (1 Minute Melee, Death Battle, Five Fun Facts, ScrewAttack Top 10)
    Team Four Star (Dragon Ball Z Abridged)
    The Game Theorists (Culture Shock, Game Exchange, Game Theory)

So Anything else you think I should be checking out? As you may have noticed, a lot of it is Top 5/10 lists & Trivia, and while more gaming channels with the same kind of stuff is always welcome, what I would really like to know is if there are any anime related channels that put up similar content with the same level of regularity & polish that these gaming channels do.

BTW, I'm not all that interested in LP's.

...Well I was gonna say Markiplier, but you said no LPs...so...other than that I guess PeanutButterGamer.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

nacho_chicken

Well, streaming was certainly an experience. Talking and trying (read: failing) to program is a lot harder than expected. Will definitely do it again tomorrow. With music.

Twitter:

Electricmastro

BearHunger wrote:

@Electricmastro Is that one of the circus levels? I remember one of those being fairly tough.

Yeah, the Funhouse levels are generally considered to be the hardest set of levels in the game.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

ClockworkMario

@RR529
I can't recommend Zero Punctuation enough. The guy has a razor-sharp wit, which he uses to humorously rip games apart. He's not the one to go for serious reviews — though if he likes a game, it's usually amazing —; it's all about the laughs and occasional dissection of various gaming-related topics.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

nacho_chicken

@RR529
I recommend Totalbiscuit. His first impressions of games have gotten me into several great indie games I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. He also does a lot of decent coverage on gaming news.

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic