Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 10,301 to 10,320 of 96,490

kkslider5552000

My "2014 sucked for video games" thread is borderline inevitable and the only reason I haven't posted it yet is so that no one can complain about the year not being over yet (which to be fair, considering how the Fall usually is, is a valid point maybe). Can we all just pretend the last 8-9 months hasn't happened beyond Nintendo turning around their marketing and Square Enix learning from Bravely Default?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Socar

I'm starting to think that every one here in Nintendo life finds me almost annoying......... And I got nothing to say about that.

So I got this Strider on Steam and so far its just downloading and based on what I've heard, it has some bugs and errors and what not and I hope my bro's money doesn't go to waste if the game doesn't work for me.........

I had done a playthrough of Titus the Fox.....but I don't know what to do of it. I'm thinking of doing a playthrough of Rayman as well as its one of my all time favorites.

I'm starting to feel that people around me find me irritating. Nintendo of America finds me irritating whenever I send them mails occasionally, some users find me annoying and most of my family members find me annoying. I don't know what to do now and I'm worried about how things will turn out once I start a job.

Speaking of which, this job thing worries me as now I would have to deal with stuff on my own paying bills, groceries and games and it worries me as to how that job that I'll get at first will soon lead me to become a game designer.

Then my game has the visual problem and I need someone who can draw the visuals for my game and so far, its not going well.......

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Kewlan

@Artwark I'm not sure about that NL is finding you annoying. One thing I can say though is that you seem very worried about your future, and I guess that it's that weakness that makes you seem irritating to others.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

Araquanid

No one is more annoying than me on NL except code beggers

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Socar

So my parents still insult me by saying that I'm lazy and that I don't want to get a job because if I do, I won't have any time to play. so for the sake of the argument, let's just say that its true that I don't want to get a job because I won't have my play time at all. In the world of entertainment, there is no excuse as to why you shouldn't relax or heck even do something childish because that's one of the ways to create. Can you honestly tell me that Regular Show or Adventure Time were made with the creators not having any intentions to get themselves influenced from others? nope. Can you tell me that Miyamoto's philosophy didn't inspire millions to become gamers? no. Entertainment is simply meant to be that way whether it being lazy or reading books and all.

So problem is that my parents are trying to force me to get into web designing as I don't like that job cause I did an internship. Not only that but If I get exhausted after work and that I got no time for play because I will only get few hours before sleep, I'm screwed as I find it like my dad's position only much worse and I'll never be happy and I'll never be able to get the latest games and what's worse.....I'll never be able to complete the games that I would've just got.

Now I understand that reality is harsh and life will hit you as long as you let it hit you and that you first gotta do something inorder for you to get what you want in the end. But in this case, how are jobs like Graphic/web design, testing, animator or illustrator going to get me into being a game designer? Like what if all of these things that I do now will never get me into gaming? I'm suppose to MAKE GAMES DAMMIT NOT DO SOMETHING THAT ISN'T RELATED TO GAMING! I'VE MADE TWO GAMES AS PROOF THAT I CAN MAKE GAMES SO WHAT MORE IS NEEDED FOR ME TO MAKE GAMES EXCLUSIVELY FOR NINTENDO!

I'm starting to think that this would've been easier for me if I lived in USA instead of my horrible rotten homeland where people are so damm narrow minded, religious and worst of all, can't get the service done properly at all!

Araquanid

Game designer requires computer programming ya know. You need to know how to create the stuff, this includes whether it's your game or your working on somebody else's game.

We all have to get jobs, start driving, and making moolah.

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

JunkosBoobies

Listening to this amazing "World Calamity" remix (A remix based off a song from PMD: Red/Blue Rescue Team, if you didn't know). The remix itself was apparently made in 2012 but it's still as awesome as ever.

Edited on by JunkosBoobies

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

ArabPikachu

I'm starting to think that this would've been easier for me if I lived in USA

I've lived in the USA and my life there was an abundance of weight on my shoulders

But in this case, how are jobs like Graphic/web design, testing, animator or illustrator going to get me into being a game designer?

Graphic design is necessary to make the game appear the way you want it to be

Illustration is important too because game developer teams make concept art all the time

Game-developer teams rely on animation all the time (this should be obvious if you know the meaning of the word "animation")

Testing is necessary to make sure the game is well-polished before being publicized

Edited on by ArabPikachu

http://www.capcom-unity.com/amunity/go/shield/privateProfile

Nintendo Network ID: Fikachu

Kewlan

Artwark wrote:

I'm starting to think that this would've been easier for me if I lived in USA instead of my horrible rotten homeland where people are so damm narrow minded, religious and worst of all, can't get the service done properly at all!

Just like you. To me it seems like you're still a kid and even think as a kid.

You can (almost) never jump to the finish line. (You working for Nintendo.) Start simple with some game devs in your country and move to their city. If you need money, get a simple cleaning job or something similar and work your way up from there.

In our first world countries, life is only as hard as you make it to be. You live with a family, get food everyday, have a computer, have video games. You don't really have a reason to complain...

As I said, don't think narrow minded yourself. Move to another place, start with simple jobs and work your way up from there.

ಠ_ಠ
Waiting for ShadowforSSB4 to take me up to the heavens.

Favorite Game List:
1#: Lufia 2
2#: Terraria
3#: Team Fortress 2

3DS Friend Code: 3153-4099-8763 | Nintendo Network ID: Kewlan

ClockworkMario

I'd like to ask all the Brits here something: We know you have the, globally speaking, odd habit of transporting on the left side of the road. However, do you also walk on that same side? Say, if you're walking to the subw... sorry, to the tube trough a narrow hallway which side is the traffic on? And does this same apply to escalators, where standing on the 'fast lane' is a sin most grave.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

CanisWolfred

Do people in America even walk in the same general direction? It seems like people just walk wherever they want to, and if two people are in eachother's way...it depends on who's bigger...

At least they do that in my area. I dunno, maybe upstate NY is full of undisciplined idiots? I'd totally believe that...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Shirma_Akayaku

@Artwark I've read a bit about your desire to create games, but it seems you want to rush ahead to make games without the need for "unnecessary" things in the way. I may not know much about you, but making 2 games doesn't seem like much under your belt (I could be proven wrong though). I don't know if the games you made were good or bad, and I don't know if you're in high school or college, but you've got a long way ahead of you if you want to be a game designer (that is what you want to be, right?). Working in the game industry generally requires all-around knowledge about different aspects of it (that even includes non-electronic games). You'd also have to learn some financial and philosophical aspects of the game industry too. You gotta get at least some of "the big picture" in order to be successful in making games.

I'd add more to say, but I don't know much about your current situation. You could tell me more if you'd like.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Shirma_Akayaku

My little self-reflection.

When I was learning game design in college, it was fine at first, but when I was learning about "getting inside the mind" of another person to know what makes them tick when playing a game (or something like that), that's when I stopped. I know that knowing how people are with games (and a number of other mind-asking questions) is crucial to your own game design, but when I got into the intricacies of a person's brain, responses, etc, it felt unusual. What I'm saying sounds weird, but studying your game testers, knowing what hooks people onto your game, it felt worrying. Sure this stuff sounds normal since game companies thrive off of knowing their audience, but to me, it felt like I was going to take advantage of people with powerful knowledge (and I could too). I was treating people as my "guinea pigs" within my mind, thinking of them as simple test subjects. It's so strange to think of it like that, but that's how it came across to me, and I was uncomfortable with it. As of now, game design is pretty difficult.

I wanted to be creative with game design and learn (and be innovative), but I feel as if my creativeness and drive has slowly withered away. I always thought I wanted to be a game designer when I grew up, but when I finally got there, I didn't feel the same ambition, the same agency as I had felt when I was younger. Now, when I look back at game design, I know it's no longer for me.

Now here I am, with no tangible dream in sight, just wandering aimlessly through my life. I don't know what to do, and I don't know what I want. It's as if I had no dream all along.

Hm... All I wanted in life was to make people happy... My banal, ridiculous "dream".

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

CanisWolfred

Sounds like me and engineering, math, science, cartooning, Japanese culture and history...and basically everything else I ever loved growing up and had a chance to actually experience.

...I don't remember where I was going with that, but now I'm reminded how much I wasted my youth...T_T

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Yoshi

Well...I certainly didn't expect that.

I have $30 to spend on eBay (because I spent so much money, I got some back as rewards). I couldn't decide what to get, so I went to look for a new keyboard. Since I have a Mac and a Magic Trackpad (so happy I got the trackpad), I figured that I'd get the matching keyboard.

MSRP for the keyboard is $50, so I was expecting prices to be around $35, with the occasional steal sprinkled in. Considering that I got the $70 trackpad for $40, I was expecting a sizable difference in price.

NOPE. The cheapest one I could find was an auction for a "new" keyboard with a mouse for $35 with $12 shipping (asinine) that'll most like shoot up in price towards the end.

Buy It Now prices for a lot of listings are $100. And these aren't technically new, either. They're out of box and they're missing the extension cable that comes with it. What a joke.

Guess I'm going to look for something else.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Yoshi

I made up my mind!

I just got Halo Anniversary because I was wanting to pick it up eventually, and I figured that now was as good as time. I could've had some of the bonus money left over, but I decided to spend it all to get a copy with a special slip cover and exclusive DLC for preordering. Normally, I wouldn't do that, but it was eBay's money, not mine.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Socar

@Shirma_Akayaku

For your information, I too was into game design college. The only issue I had was when it came to 3D modelling which I didn't like one bit as it was too hard for me to make characters, difficult to adjust with it and to top it all, the classes themselves were boring as hell that I even tried to stay awake.

Yes game design is brutal and tough but its like every job out there except that it requires more than just decision making. While Financial assets are difficult, its really not the designer's problem but rather to convince that the project will be successful.

I too want to make people happy and make games but I can't do that in my hometown and I need to get to US inorder to do this. I finished College and the real problem i have is getting a job that's related to gaming. If the job you do isn't fun or if its got nothing to do with gaming, then what's the reason to do it? its like getting extra stress for the workload you have to deal with here.

@Kewlan Even cleaning jobs is something my Mom doesn't want me to do because she claims I don't know how to do it and jobs other than that are considered low for my mom. There's no gaming company that's around my home and moving to other places is still a problem with my mom because she's paranoid and claims that I'm on my own lost thoughts and I rarely go outside and I can't communicate well with others around me and why is that? cause I can't even speak my own native language and I've failed in it several times to the point that it just didn't work well and so English is the only one I know off. I can't even do youtube videos because my parents don't want me to do that either! So face it, I'm forced to do a job to god know what I'll end me up with, I'm never gonna do what I want unless I go to US and settle there and last but not least, Nintendo will never consider the point of marketing their products over my hometown because Nintendo takes their own time to do so and even then, my place just doesn't suit well for their business.

Sure I get what I want and that's atleast the best part of my parents but besides that, that's all there is to it and nothing else!

CanisWolfred

I had a dream last night that I was flirting with some handycapped woman (poss. Aspergers). She was large-bodied, with unkept hair and plain clothing, and looked at least 35 years old. Yet I kept talking to her and pretty soon we were halving a good time. She lived in a group home, and I wound up helping her with her things there, while she quizzed me about Pokemon (I got most of the questions right). Things got weird once her brother and her neice, as well as the other residents of the group home, started showing up. Most of that is just a blur.

Anyways, it's becoming a pattern for me how even in my dreams about me and girls, I keep my expectations heavily in check....

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ClockworkMario

Well, I was in Berlin just now and people walked rather cleanly on the right side in tight spaces. Maybe it's just the effective German way, but I'd wager I would've been rather hellish to walk through those U-bahn passages if everyone treaded how they pleased. This also means there's less of the awkward "walk towards each other and try to sidestep to the same direction five times".
@Artwark
Wouldn't it make sense to get some work experience, even if it's not on a field you'd like to work on? It's not like you have to do it for the rest of your life. but it would look good on your resume and you'd amass some wealth that'd help if you're planning to move abroad. Also keep in mind games are developed all around the world, so there might be even better job opportunities outside of America.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic