Forums

Topic: The Castlevania Discussion Thread

Posts 101 to 119 of 119

Anthracks

I still need to work on completing the Playstation 2 Vanias...

Anthracks

the_shpydar

Just beat Circle of the Moon tonight (with a little help from our resident sexy Vampire Killer @ogo79). First time i've actually played through any of the GBA 'Vanias ... i much prefer the Classicvanias, and until now the only one of the Metroidvanias i've played through was SotN. But very good game, even though Drac's final form was stupid-tough. Now i'm looking forward to playing Harmony and Aria (and perhaps the DS entries down the line as well).

Meanwhile, i finally got a copy of Bloodlines ... albeit a repro cart. I wanted to get a legit copy, but it's just too hard to find it for a reasonable price. So when i hit the retro shop today and they had an inexpensive repro, i grabbed it.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

soma

@ThePirateCaptain:

Thanks! So the WiiU Gamepad may not showing the correct colors? That's interesting...

soma

ThePirateCaptain

@soma
You could try turning up the brightness on the Game Pad to see if that helps. If not, then it may just have something to do with the console sending the image to the Game Pad screen.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

soma

@ThePirateCaptain:

I investigated a bit more and there are several topics about this issue. It just seems a difference in the color temperatures. The Gamepad seems to have a Cool color temperature and my TV is set to Warm. I adjusted it a bit to be less purple, but not as blue as the Gamepad.

soma

Tasuki

So I managed to watch the Netflix original Castlevania and I will say I am impressed. I love how for the most part it took the story of Castlevania III with the opening scene from Symphony of the Night. It also was nice to see that they didn't make it so kid friendly cause honestly how can you with a story like Castlevania.

Overall my biggest complaint was how short it was at only four episodes. Still as a Castlevania fan I couldn't have been happier with the way the show turned out.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Yeah, watched it yesterday (put my thoughts in the Netflix thread).

It was promising, but 4 episodes was too short. Spent too much time fighting cartoonishly evil Catholics, and when he finally started fighting Dracula's hoard the season ended.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Luna_110

I loved it the series It left me completely hooked for Season 2. I liked they gave Dracula a tiny bit of an extra backstory alongside Lisa, and liked the action scenes, specially the final part of the fourth chapter.

It's disappointing, though, that it was so short. I hope they release the next season soon, and keep building the lore, since Castlevania III doesn't have what you would call exactly a rock solid plot.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Tasuki

@Luna_110 They actually didn't give Dracula the backstory. The whole thing with Lisa is taken straight out of Symphony of the Night.

My Backlog

KirbyTheVampire

It was definitely too short, but what was there is extremely promising. I think this is the first time ever that I've been excited to watch a video game adaptation. I'm pumped for season 2.

I hope they show us more Dracula, though. There has to be more going on behind the scenes that we're not seeing. Is he feeling any regrets whatsoever about what he's doing, does he spend half his time crying in a corner somewhere, etc etc? I really love how they set him up, though. There's no better villain than one you can sympathize with. He took his anger several steps too far, but still.

KirbyTheVampire

Moviefan2k4

I just watched the Netflix series a couple of days ago....and to my surprise, I liked it very much. I was actually grateful most of the gore was kept to a minimum, since its the themes of the series which interest me the most nowadays. The voice acting was very good, though I'd have preferred Robert Belgrade for Alucard.

Edited on by Moviefan2k4

God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

Balta666

Well I bought the Castlevania advance collection and have been playing circule of the moon. I am having fun so dar (about 50% of the map unlocked) but I cannot understand how to activate the dss bonuses.... I have both action and atributo cards but cannot understand how to proper use them, I tried all button combinations I could think and nothing. Tried to check online but had no luck either... Can someone help?

Zuljaras

@Balta666 It depends on the DSS combo. There are effects like the summons that require button combo that is not Up + Attack. They were Left > Down > Right > Attack I think.

Also some of them will NOT show up in your cards effects because in order to know what is the effect you have to invoke it. For example if you activate a DSS that shields you from fire, for the first time, you will not get the info in the DSS page until you get hit by a fire element.

It is very confusing

https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Dual_Set-Up_System/Combin...

Here is a list of the combos, their effects and HOW to use them.

Tasuki

Started playing Harmony of Dissonance tonight and I remember why I never beat this game, it's absolute garbage. This has got to be the worst Metroidvania one ever. The controls feel clunky, Juste just doesn't move as smooth as Alucard did In SotN and the biggest problem is the wonky hit boxes in this game. I am going to try and stick it through this game but I have a feeling that this game is just going to annoy me.

My Backlog

Zuljaras

@Tasuki On the contrary to your experience I love HoD With all of its wonkiness I love the gameplay and the 2 Castles. The Graphics and the enemy design is good as well. It is a little easy as well.

The only thing missing for me is New Game Plus but I hacked a ROM of the game to have ALL items from the start so I guess I have an unofficial New Game + mode

Tasuki

@Zuljaras I don't know I found it a bot harder then SotN and other Metrovania games but that was due mainly because of the wonky hit boxes, and poor handling of Juste not to mention how few and far between save points are. Also I noticed that upon leveling up your life doesn't refill like SotN. Kinda makes leveling up pointless.

My Backlog

soma

I don't remember having control issues with Harmony, but the sound quality was terrible. The game was OK, I kinda liked it, but it's definitely at the bottom of my list.

soma

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic