Forums

Topic: The 2019 Game Awards Predictions Thread

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

iKhan

So it's November. Pretty much all major companies have made all their announcements for the year, so the next big opportunity to make a big game announcement is The Game Awards. What are your big predictions for the Game Awards. Either the announcements or the awards themselves.

Here are a couple of mine:

• We get a reveal of the final Smash character.
  • BOTW 2 gets another trailer and a 2020 release window.
  • Either a trailer for Elden Ring, an announcement of Bloodborne 2, or an announcement for Dark Souls 4.
  • Another photorealistic game gets inexplicably nominated for best art design.
  • JRPGs get shafted for Best Narrative again

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

Trailers, commercials, trailers, commercials, commercials, commercials, trailers, commercials

and then maybe someone will win an award, maybe even on stage if we're lucky

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

Several hours of Death Stranding and it wins every award, also Sam Bridges (the player character in Death Stranding) is coming to Smash as the 5th Fighters Pass character

Ok, time for more serious predictions:

• Ryu Hayabusa announced for Smash as 5th Fighters Pass character alongside Ninja Gaiden reboot trilogy for Switch/PS4/XB1 while the original trilogy is completed on NSO
  • Wonderful 101 for Switch announced for February 2020
  • Bayonetta 3 trailer, release window 2020
  • No Xbox Game Studios announcements (unless X019 reveals big details on Scarlett which I doubt)
  • Every major upcoming PS4 game gets a trailer so Sony can focus on PS5 in 2020
  • Death Stranding wins every award it's nominated for including GotY
  • Live music is Death Stranding focused
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield wins best RPG

I'll leave more predictions for when we get the nominees.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

I really feel like prime trilogy is due for an announcement. What was it, like 2 awards shows ago it was supposed to be revealed or was that last year? I'm thinking that, wonderful 101, bayo3 and botw2 trailers, maybe a release window for 1 of those. Smash characters announced.. not counting on it, but a battle toad or streets of rage character would be sweet. Goty will be dmc5, re2 remake, death stranding, Or astral chain. I may be forgetting a big game but that's what I think is most likely.

NintendoByNature

funnyman420

Best directed will definitely go to Smash Ultimate. Not sure about anything else though as I;m not much of a gamer outside of Nintendo...

shut

iKhan

@J-Plap What does "Best Directed" even mean. That category has always seemed so strange to me. I think "Best Game Director" would make more sense.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Diddy64

Since I don't know much about PS4 and Xbox One, I'll go with what Nintendo may announce/reveal:

1- Crash is announced as the 5th DLC character.
2- On this one I'll go with a risky prediction. Nintendo will reveal either Mario Sunshine 2/remake or Mario Odyssey 2 that will focus more on tropical kingdoms, assuming that tweet of Mario weeks ago turns out to be a tease.
3- Nintendo reveals a 2D Metroid remake of either Super Metroid or Fusion.
4- I think just like Grumblevolcano that we will see a Bayonetta 3 trailer and release date.

Edited on by Diddy64

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Krull

Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds will pick up a suite of lesser awards (narrative, indie, RPG) - deservedly so, but also because they're great critic-bait - while Death Stranding takes most of the big prizes.

Fire Emblem Three Houses deserves credit, so if it gets into the Strategy category, it might get that. Don't fancy FE in the RPG category against Disco Elysium, Outer Worlds or even Pokémon SS, though.

Smash missed all the deadlines last year, so if it's still eligible, there's a good chance it gets something in the Family, Multiplayer and Fighting categories.

As for new game announcements, I've been expecting a reveal of the next 3D Mario all year. I also agree that Bayo 3 is due an update (as is SMT V), and maybe we can see something new from Monolith?

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

funnyman420

@iKhan I believe it's like the game that was best/most influenced by the director

shut

Ralizah

@J-Plap I mean, that would HAVE to be Death Stranding, right?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

funnyman420

@Ralizah well, I'm no expert - I haven't even played Death Stranding. Just putting it out there.

shut

Magician

RE2 Remake = GotY
DMC5 = Best Action Game
Disco Elysium = Best RPG
Death Stranding = Best Narrative (the award that GotY runner-ups usually get)
Best Ongoing Game = FFXIV: Shadowbringers
Best Action/Adventure = Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

...yadda yadda yadda.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

iKhan

@Grumblevolcano You don't think they'll drop a Zelda tease? I feel like Nintendo has dropped Zelda news at a Game Awards event as long as they've ever been able to.

redd214

Nominees will be announced on Tuesday 9am PT/12pm ET

redd214

NintendoByNature

@iKhan last year aonuma teased( if that's what youd even call it) skyward sword and nothing happened. But, I do expect a small trailer for botw2

Edit: it was teased just before the awards, not during.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan I think they'd do it only if the game is releasing in 2020.

I have an updated prediction:

• Rather than no Xbox Game Studios announcements, I think there will be trailers for Ori 2 and Battletoads. They were absent from X019.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

Predictions (both Nintendo and non-Nintendo related)

• the new Arkham game teased by WB Montreal and Rocksteady (rumored to be titled Batman: Arkham Legacy) will be officially unveiled with a cinematic trailer depicting the formation of the Court of Owls and a fall 2020 release window
  • Smash Challenger Pack 5 will be unveiled. Like Joker, this new fighter will be heavily mainstream, will have some connection to the Game Awards itself, either through recognition or through actual accolades recieved, and will resonate with contemporary gamers, such as the ones that make up the majority of the audience that usually watch the Game Awards or go see it live.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 will be advertised up the wazoo
  • Yoko Taro's next game project will be announced, and it might be a third Nier game considering the official Nier Twitter is the only game-specfic Twitter account that actually follows The Game Awards' Twitter account to my knowledge
  • SonicFox will come on stage to provide a valiantly annoying speech about being gay and a furry and how Republicans don't like him
  • Elden Ring will be given a proper gameplay trailer and a late 2020 release window
  • The King of Fighters XV will be unveiled with in-game footage here in a similar fashion to SoulCalibur VI's unveiling at The Game Awards 2017
  • Bayonetta 3 will be given a cinematic reveal trailer on the scale of Bayonetta 2's E3 2013 trailer revealing her Love is Blue design
  • The musical performance this year will be one of the vocal tracks on the Death Stranding OST
  • The GOTY nominees will be Death Stranding, Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Jedi Fallen Order and The Outer Worlds
  • Mortal Kombat 11 will beat out Samurai Shodown for Best Fighting Game
  • Following up from today's announcement of SEGA bringing Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami remakes to Xbox One in early 2020, and their recent pledge to bring their more niche titles to more people on multiple platforms, Persona 5 Scramble will be announced for the West on PS4 and Nintendo Switch for fall 2020, and to tie people over, SEGA and Atlus will collectively bring Persona 3 FES, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 (Royal?) to Nintendo Switch and PC in summer 2020 (this is a pie in the sky dream of mine but honestly the Yakuza remakes really started to make realize SEGA wasn't playing around with their recent statements about expanding the reach of their niche content and lesser known franchises)
  • Guilty Gear 2020 will get a new trailer officially confirming the game's platforms (PS4, Xbox One and PC)
  • Devil May Cry 5 Vergil DLC announcement
  • The Man of Medan sequel teased at the end of the first game will be shown off in more detail

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

Got some more predictions:

• Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 X-Men DLC is revealed and releases shortly after the presentation
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses wins Best Strategy Game and the story DLC is announced, releases March 2020 (all the other parts of the expansion pass has released about a month earlier than the eshop date).
  • Smash Ultimate wins Best Fighting Game and Best Family Game

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Dezzy

-RE2 wins GOTY.
-Bayonetta 3 trailer is shown with 2020 release date.
-Another annoyingly short teaser for BOTW2 is shown.
-Elden Ring gameplay trailer is shown and blows everything else away.
-Everything goes on for far too long.
-New Cyberpunk footage.

iKhan wrote:

• Either a trailer for Elden Ring, an announcement of Bloodborne 2, or an announcement for Dark Souls 4.

Why would they announce another Soulsborne type game when they've already been pretty clear that Elden Ring is the same series?

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheAwesomeBowser
  • Final Smash DLC revealed, releases February 2020 to coincide with the original prediction from November 2018
  • Smash wins an award of some capacity
  • Goose Game wins Indie Game
  • Musical Performances
  • Nintendo reveals a brand new game of some sort
  • 3D World port or sequel announced, coming 2020
  • A gazillion Indie/3rd-party reveals
  • Ads, ads and more ads
  • At least 3 hours long

That's all I can think of right now.

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

Sorry, this topic has been locked.