Forums

Topic: Teenage Gamer May Go To Jail For Up to 8 Years

Posts 101 to 120 of 131

Geonjaha

@Tasuki - The world would be in shambles if someone was arrested every time they made a sarcastic comment simply because they 'might actually be serious'.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Tasuki

AlexSays wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Well thats where he should have thought before shooting his mouth off.

And yeah he does sound like a spoiled kid. How many times have I grounded my son and have him hate me its just natural. But I tell you this he wont do what he did every again and isn't that what was the goal for his punishment?

If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

You're kidding. You're comparing a child being grounded to a teenager spending months in prison uncertain about his future, with a possibility at nearly a decade of prison time?

For a 'crime' he didn't know he was committing? You're acting like he murdered someone. He said a bad joke on the internet. I think some of you take satisfaction in this kid being nailed to the wall on this, and I don't quite understand it.

And what happens if you go easy on him and than the next one does it as a joke and the next one and the next one? Pretty soon you won't know whos joking and whose not. Every heard of the story the boy who called wolf? Well what happens if too many people yell wolf and than their is a wolf attack? What you do is make an example of this guy and makes sure no one else falsely cries wolf.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

TOMBOY25

Tasuki wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Been sitting in jail for nearly half a year now. At this rate he'll serve his eight years before they even do anything with him.

Oh and he's on suicide watch. So for everyone thinking he has mental problems, there's your prison rehabilitation at work. I'm sure he'll be a fully functioning, sane member of society after some time hating the world and wanting to die.

So he's hating the world for being punished for something he did wrong?

Sounds like a spoiled child if you ask me.

do you even know what jail is like? or life spent dealing with the justice system for the families involved? i can absolutely understand the reasons he was brought in, especially given the climate involved, but i can also understand his depression and why he would want to die in there. show some compassion, for goodness' sake; it's just a craptastic situation overall. >:/

The thing is what if he wasn't joking? What if he was serious and he went and shot up a school? Then you would hear how come no one stopped him there were warning signs blah blah blah. In this day and age they need to take things like that as a serious threat. Yeah it was a mistake and I am sure he realizes now but you know you dont go yelling fire in a crowed building and expect not to get punished.

I think the "lol" and "jk" he typed might mean he was joking.

TOMBOY25

3DS Friend Code: 0275-8827-8761 | Nintendo Network ID: TOMBOY25

AlexSays

Tasuki wrote:

What you do is make an example of this guy and makes sure no one else falsely cries wolf.

Pretty much says all I need to know about your viewpoint

Sorry, I'm not in favor of ruining someone's life to 'make an example' out of them. Out of the small chance that it will reduce sarcastic comments about unlawful activities.

If your son ever makes a poor two second decision that changes his life though, I hope you have this same attitude.

AlexSays

Geonjaha

Tasuki wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Well thats where he should have thought before shooting his mouth off.

And yeah he does sound like a spoiled kid. How many times have I grounded my son and have him hate me its just natural. But I tell you this he wont do what he did every again and isn't that what was the goal for his punishment?

If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

You're kidding. You're comparing a child being grounded to a teenager spending months in prison uncertain about his future, with a possibility at nearly a decade of prison time?

For a 'crime' he didn't know he was committing? You're acting like he murdered someone. He said a bad joke on the internet. I think some of you take satisfaction in this kid being nailed to the wall on this, and I don't quite understand it.

And what happens if you go easy on him and than the next one does it as a joke and the next one and the next one? Pretty soon you won't know whos joking and whose not. Every heard of the story the boy who called wolf? Well what happens if too many people yell wolf and than their is a wolf attack? What you do is make an example of this guy and makes sure no one else falsely cries wolf.

So he's to be in prison for years to be made an example of? Why? There are probably thousands of people on the internet who have made such comments in the past. He made a bad joke. He was being sarcastic. He even pointed out at the end of his post that was he was saying was a joke!

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Tasuki

AlexSays wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

The thing is what if he wasn't joking? What if he was serious and he went and shot up a school? Then you would hear how come no one stopped him there were warning signs blah blah blah. In this day and age they need to take things like that as a serious threat. Yeah it was a mistake and I am sure he realizes now but you know you dont go yelling fire in a crowed building and expect not to get punished.

So should everything be taken literally? If you joke around about any unlawful act, you should be punished as if you planned on carrying out that act?

That's a scary politically-correct world you'd seemingly like us to have.

How many times has there been warning signs of these kind of things and no one has acted that ended in tragedy? So this time around someone acts on it and you people are against it? I am sure that if this guy did carry out his plans and did hurt children alot of you here would be calling him a no good S.O.B. and that he should rot in hell or something along those lines. A few of you would be ready to put this guy on death row but oh wait he was only joking and no one got hurt so it all good?

My Backlog

Tasuki

AlexSays wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

What you do is make an example of this guy and makes sure no one else falsely cries wolf.

Sorry, I'm not in favor of ruining someone's life to 'make an example' out of them. Out of the small chance that it will reduce sarcastic comments about unlawful activities.

If your son ever makes a poor two second decision that changes his life though, I hope you have this same attitude.

Depends on what it is. If it was something like this well yes I would but than again he knows not to do something like this and to watch what he says on the internet.

My Backlog

AlexSays

Tasuki wrote:

How many times has there been warning signs of these kind of things and no one has acted that ended in tragedy?

Yes, his sarcastic comment is a real warning sign. Completely disregarding the fact he has no weapons, plans, or actual intent to harm anyone.

I'm not going to bother myself trying to change your viewpoint. I just think some of you are being very unreasonable here. We've had people with actual plans to harm someone get away without this much punishment. Yet he's facing eight years for one comment.. on the Internet.. where he said he was kidding.

If you think that's totally a great thing, good for you.

AlexSays

AlexSays

Tasuki wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Depends on what it is. If it was something like this well yes I would but than again he knows not to do something like this and to watch what he says on the internet.

Yes, because I'm sure this kid's parents thought he was going to be sent to prison..

That's the thing about two-second decisions, they're generally not predictable.

AlexSays

Drobotic

Heck,I hear people say they're gonna come to my house and beat me up while I play TF2 and I don't hear any news stories about it.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

Midnight3DS

Oh, the things I've heard. If justice was based on what's said, I'm sure we all know people that would be in the jug, even though they were joking, funny or not.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

rayword45

Tasuki wrote:

Next time you jaywalk hopefully you'll be arrested. Then call this kid spoiled.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AlexSays

Drobotic wrote:

Heck,I hear people say they're gonna come to my house and beat me up while I play TF2 and I don't hear any news stories about it.

I've had people on this site say they were going to find me and beat me up. lol. I even gave someone my address one time, but he never came. : (

Anyways, I'm not going to continuously return to this topic since its so depressing (well for some of us). I'll just say I won't be celebrating the ruining of this kid's life over a single comment like some of you.

Hopefully common sense prevails over political-correctedness here.

AlexSays

Turnip

I think this is really a case of "better safe than sorry." Also, I'm not sure if most of you didn't read Shpydar's comment or what, because you all seem to be talking as though he's going to be thrown in jail for eight years, no doubt about it.

the_shpydar wrote:

It's not that if he's convicted he automatically will get 8 years, or even anything close to that. He's charged with making terroristic threats, and that crime has a maximum sentence of 8 years.

The realistic outcome of this story is that he'll plea out to a reduced charge, will get credit for time served (which allows the legal system to punish him more severely in the future, should he ever be arrested for anything else), and likely get slammed with community service and some period of probation.

Cringing is really fun.

Snagrio

I'm completely siding with @AlexSays on this.

And besides, as I'm sure many of you know, just one quick read through random YouTube comments (or just comments anywhere on the Internet for that matter), and you'll find sentences far, far worse then what this kid said without fail. So why he got arrested, let alone possibly facing up to 8 FREAKING YEARS IN PRISON for this is completely beyond me. Heck, I've heard of people who made bomb threats get off the hook better then this.

Then again I'm not too surprised considering how incredibly idiotic our higher-ups have become anymore...

Edited on by Snagrio

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Tasuki

rayword45 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Next time you jaywalk hopefully you'll be arrested. Then call this kid spoiled.

This might be surprising but I dont jaywalk. I do in fact use the crosswalks and wait till the green walk symbol is up.

My Backlog

rayword45

Tasuki wrote:

This might be surprising but I dont jaywalk. I do in fact use the crosswalks and wait till the green walk symbol is up.

Alright then, hopefully next time you pirate music/movies you'll be arrested. Then call this kid spoiled.

If that doesn't fit, just keep going through the entire U.S. Law until you're done counting the ones you've broken. Then call this kid spoiled.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

ThePirateCaptain

This seems to be more of a parenting issue to me than a serious, jail deserving crime. You should never make any kind of threat like that, but it should be the parents job to correct their child. Eight years in prison seems way out of line when language like this probably goes on daily, not to mention the internet......

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Tasuki

AlexSays wrote:

I won't be celebrating the ruining of this kid's life over a single comment like some of you.

Will I be celebrating? Heck no in fact I think it is sad that this kids life is ruined by a single comment. I am sad to that people think that they should be able to do anything they want to do without no penalty. And honestly its not like he was a 5 year old and didn't know what trouble could come of it. He was 18 I believe. I am sure he knows not to yell bomb in an airport.

My Backlog

Midnight3DS

WingedFish wrote:

I'm completely siding with @AlexSays on this.

And besides, as I'm sure many of you know, just one quick read through random YouTube comments (or just comments anywhere on the Internet for that matter), and you'll find sentences far, far worse then what this kid said without fail. So why he got arrested, let alone possibly facing up to 8 FREAKING YEARS IN PRISON for this is completely beyond me. Heck, I've heard of people who made bomb threats get off the hook better then this.

Then again I'm not too surprised considering how incredibly idiotic our higher-ups have become anymore...

Given the climate we're living in, the lesson may be to be wiser with word choices in/on a public forum.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.