General Discussion Forum

Topic: Super Mario Bros. Super Show/The Legend of Zelda Cartoon

Showing 1 to 20 of 33

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

1. Posted:

I was reading the other day about the Super Mario bros. Super Show, out of curiosity. I discovered that on (I believe) Fridays, the Mario Show would be replaced by The Legend of Zelda cartoon. I had never heard of it. Therefore, I set out to watch the first episode:

It is awful, completely awful. Other than the settings, the music and the characters, it is completely different from the games! I knew it was going to be bad, but i had no idea it would quite this bad. Apparently, Link says "Excuuuuuuse me, Princess!" a total of 29 times in 13 episodes. He says it twice in this one. Link is not supposed to talk, either. And, it might have been okay to make him talk, but it was not okay to make him into a complete jerk in doing so!

Also, I laughed a lot at that beginning sequence!

Anyone remember anything about this show? Feel free to discuss this, awful, awful cartoon! :P

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

2. Posted:

Backloggery. Now playing: Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Pac-Man World, Golden Sun, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure and Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

3. Posted:

Awful by today's standards maybe.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadJV

4. Posted:

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this show sooner. I have the complete season on DVD, and no, I don't think it's good (it's the worst monstrosity ever created), but I'm such a big Zelda fan I felt compelled to get it despite how awful it is.

Also, this is why I think Nintendo should make a Zelda movie. It could not possibly ever be as terrible as this was. Between these and the CD-i titles, the series has enough of a dark side that I don't care if they take a few more chances. As long as Link doesn't whine like a prepubescent boy, I think it could pass.

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

5. Posted:

I knew about the CD-i games, but I had never heard of the cartoon... and I probably would be better off if I didn't know about it now! :P

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

6. Posted:

I watched it religiously back in the day and loved it. Even though it was bad. I looked forward to Fridays episodes so much because of the Zelda cartoons :D
(Plus, freaking Captain Lou Albano as Mario? Oh HELL YES!)

I also have the complete Zelda cartoon dvd — it was recently a GameStop PowerUp rewards, so yay free!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 25 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 13 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Intrepid

7. Posted:

I knew about these cartoons; they're alright. What you may not know though is that there is an anime movie about Mario that was made in 1986. I recently saw parts of it on youtube. It's entirely in Japanese, but I thought it would be interesting to share that.

Edit: Now that I'm at a proper computer, I found the relevant videos.

This video has English subtitles, but the video quality is pretty bad:
http://youtu.be/HpHiVUKNwTg

This video is an English dub, and has better picture quality. Peach's voice is pretty annoying though:
http://youtu.be/y-2Y2CtHt_U

And to be complete, here is the plain Japanese movie w/o subtitles or fan dubs. The video quality on this is good too:
http://youtu.be/i6DOSyjD4Us

I would be interested to hear what you think of the movie.

Edited on by Intrepid

Support the localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2!
My Zeldaloggery
Diehard Accel World fan! Check it out here.
“Incarnation isn’t about desire! It’s about hope!” – Haruyuki Arita

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

8. Posted:

I'd wonder how a Zelda movie would turn out, but maybe something like Metroid or Star Fox would be worth checking out.

We have a Zelda cartoon, and plenty of Mario cartoons and two live-action films. The closest to any non-VG Metroid media is Other M.I.A.

Though considering the quality of all the cartoons and movies and some bits of dialogue in Other M, it's probably a blessing.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Norfair

9. Posted:

Never really bothered watching it, but I always knew it existed. Now that you actually shared me the first episode, I couldn't say no.

The Zelda cartoon was better than I expecting, it had pretty good animation and managed to keep me entertained during the whole episode.
Still, it is pretty terrible, but not as bad as you make it sound.

My body is ready, can you say the same? Is your body ready?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-9601-9308

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NoUsernameHere

10. Posted:

Untitled

Buying: SSB4 (3DS and Wii U), Pokemon OR/AS (3DS) The Wonderful 101 (Wii U), DKC: Tropical Freeze (Wii U), Rune Factory 4 (3DS)
Backlog
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ CLICK NAOW OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
My Bio by Dark-Luigi
T3H K00L KR@B
Formerly PSI_King, WarioMan and Ace_The_Elf.

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing

AuthorMessage
Avatar

misswliu81

11. Posted:

i watched the legend of zelda cartoon back when it aired in the 80s and i thought it was really cheesy compared to the super mario cartoon. and link was annoying.

misswliu81

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Marakuto

12. Posted:

They stopped showing the Super Mario bros. show in the UK about 5 - 4 years ago on Pop.

Edited on by Marakuto

3DS games:

Mario Kart 7

Zelda OoT 3D

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Pokemon Black FC: 2666 2484 8599

Kid Icarus Uprising

Heroes of Ruin
and more.

Crime doesn't pay, unless you are really good at it then those who are legal criminals will pay you to keep their stolen goods safe.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2450-6702

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

13. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

I watched it religiously back in the day and loved it. Even though it was bad. I looked forward to Fridays episodes so much because of the Zelda cartoons :D
(Plus, freaking Captain Lou Albano as Mario? Oh HELL YES!)

I also have the complete Zelda cartoon dvd — it was recently a GameStop PowerUp rewards, so yay free!

this! I used to watch the Super Mario Bros/Super Show back in 89' religiously on weekends along with Legend of Zelda. Zelda which was obviously more special since it wasn't as on frequently.....And whenever it was, it was OMFG cheesy hyrule magic right before your eyes. And boy oh boy do they still hold up. Zelda is Cheesy 'awesome' late 80's Classical animation at it's finest and the same can be said for Super Mario Bros Super Show, along with it's cooky pee wee's playhouse inspired Live SMB segments. :D I absolutely love the fact that they use music(different renditions) and the actual SFX straight from SMB1,2 and lOZ.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

14. Posted:

I think the Zelda cartoon is a big part of the reason people want Link to remain a silent character. lol i got sick a few years back and had a LoZ cartoon marathon... it was just horrible. great for putting me to sleep, though :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

15. Posted:

I liked these just for the fact that they were based on two of my favorite game franchises! :-D

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadJV

16. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

I watched it religiously back in the day and loved it. Even though it was bad. I looked forward to Fridays episodes so much because of the Zelda cartoons :D
(Plus, freaking Captain Lou Albano as Mario? Oh HELL YES!)

I also have the complete Zelda cartoon dvd — it was recently a GameStop PowerUp rewards, so yay free!

Exactly how I obtained mine! There never were any decent rewards I could afford before so I figured that, as a fan, why not at least own this (admittedly bad) piece of Zelda history?

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

17. Posted:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Captain N yet. While I wasn't around when it came out, I have seen several episodes on YouTube. And all I have to say is, yikes. Pit (who is erroneously called Kid Icarus in the show) has huge head, is constantly flying, and sounds like he's going though puberty, Mega Man has a voice almost like that of Popeye, and Simeon Belmont is a self-obsessive jerk. Yeah... The best episode I've seen is when Link and Zelda appear in an episode. And when they run into Ganon again he says, and I quote, "Link how nice to see you again! And you've brought friends for my coming out party!" I'm not kidding you, those where his very words! :o

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

18. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

I think the Zelda cartoon is a big part of the reason people want Link to remain a silent character. lol i got sick a few years back and had a LoZ cartoon marathon... it was just horrible. great for putting me to sleep, though :3

Untitled

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OracleOfTruth

19. Posted:

Happy_Mask wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

I think the Zelda cartoon is a big part of the reason people want Link to remain a silent character. lol i got sick a few years back and had a LoZ cartoon marathon... it was just horrible. great for putting me to sleep, though :3

Untitled

Untitled

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

20. Posted:

Norfair wrote:

...managed to keep me entertained during the whole episode.

It kept me entertained, too, but not for its intended reason!

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku