Forums

Topic: Star Trek Fan Club

Posts 141 to 156 of 156

Sean_Aaron

Starkiller wrote:

Remember that episode of DS9 when Quark and some other Ferangi tried to exchange a hostage for Quark's mother, and they killed him? Then they had to get him walking with neural stimulators? That was the first thing I thought of when Spock's body beamed down.

That episode was epic -- especially because Iggy Pop was in it. I loved the Ferengi episodes, but many stodgy Trekkers were just curmudgeons and hate them. I like when the show can be fun as well as dramatic.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

theblackdragon

Sean+Aaron wrote:

Starkiller wrote:

Remember that episode of DS9 when Quark and some other Ferangi tried to exchange a hostage for Quark's mother, and they killed him? Then they had to get him walking with neural stimulators? That was the first thing I thought of when Spock's body beamed down.

That episode was epic -- especially because Iggy Pop was in it. I loved the Ferengi episodes, but many stodgy Trekkers were just curmudgeons and hate them. I like when the show can be fun as well as dramatic.

Indeed! I loved the episodes where they went to Ferenginar, and then that one with Quark and Odo stranded on that freezing cold planet (a rather smug Odo had been transporting Quark to some Orion Syndicate trial where he was a witness) was a lot of fun too. I mean seriously, one of the best Odo-and-Quark quotes ever:

Odo: "Well, I guess you're not as successful a businessman as you think you are."
Quark: "Which means you spent the last ten years of your life trying to catch a nobody – with little success, I might add. So you tell me, which one of us is the bigger failure?"

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

the_shpydar

Hey all, figured i'd finally poke my head in here! I've been a fan since being a very little kid watching reruns of TOS, then TNG came along when i was about 12, so i was hooked from then on. Fave series are TNG and DS9. I also really liked Enterprise (especially the last season, of course), but not as much of a fan of Voyager. TOS stands on its own level of greatness.

I haven't read through all of the thread, but does anyone here watch/follow any of the fan-made series? Hidden Frontier was good (albeit low budget and often poorly acted) and Star Trek: Phase II (formerly Star Trek:The New Voyages) is excellent, with tons of involvement from former Trek writers (including DC Fontana!) and actors; many of the sets are actuals bought/obtained from Paramount. I'd reccommend checking it out; the episode with Walter Koenig was particularly good, and overall the series does a great job of capturing that TOS magic.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

theblackdragon

@the shpydar: i've heard of The New Voyages/Phase II, but there's something about it that i can't get my head around. It's probably because they've got different actors playing the characters... no offense to any of them, i'm sure they're great, and i love that they've got ties to said former trek writers and actors, but i've been such a huge fan of TOS for so long that the idea of new people intending to replace them in actual TOS-era fan-made episodes is anathema to me. the newest Star Trek movie was one thing, where it was an alternate universe and thus i can ignore the dissimilarities it if i like, but Phase II has people totally replacing Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the others in the actual ST universe, and it bothers me somehow. i dunno, i guess i'm weird.
anyway, that's why i haven't watched any of it yet. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

Sean_Aaron

Phase II is awesome and I have indeed watched all of Hidden Frontier (though I've not really watched their current projects). Scotland's own Intrepid is also worth seeing and they've done crossover episodes with the Hidden Frontier people. I also recommend Of Gods and Men, the "fan film" directed by Tim Russ (Tuvok) and featuring tons of actors from past Trek shows and made in cooperation with the Phase II guys.

the_shpydar

@theblackdragon
I can totally get that. It took a little for me to get over that feeling at first as well. =) For the most part, it is cast well, with James Cawley (the guy who basically spearheads the production) playing Kirk much better than i would have expected from anyone; Spock and Bones are also well cast. Cast-wise, neat episodes featured Walter Koenig actually playing and aging Chekhov (the plot line being that Pavel was rapidly aging after encountering some anomaly), and another with George Takei playing a future-Sulu. I also like that they are very respectful of TOS continuity, referring back to and building off earlier "real" episodes; they also manage to nail the overall tone of TOS very well. I'd reccommend checking out an ep or two (there's only i think 5 or 6 so far); they scratch the itch for "new" TOS episodes.

Now, that being said, after perusing the thread a bit, i'd also like to agree that Miles O'Brien is the king of awesome. Possibly my favorite of all Trek characters, and that's saying a lot.

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

the_shpydar

@Sean
I haven't seen the current HF-team projects either beyond the Intrepid crossovers, which were both rather good. I have the first ep of Intrepid downloaded, but haven't watched it yet -- i like the cast and it seems well done. And i REALLY need to get around to getting Of Gods and Men. Pretty much the only thing making that a fan-film rather than an "official" sequel is Paramount's non-involvement.

The Shpydarloggery

Sean_Aaron

the+shpydar wrote:

@Sean
I haven't seen the current HF-team projects either beyond the Intrepid crossovers, which were both rather good. I have the first ep of Intrepid downloaded, but haven't watched it yet -- i like the cast and it seems well done. And i REALLY need to get around to getting Of Gods and Men. Pretty much the only thing making that a fan-film rather than an "official" sequel is Paramount's non-involvement.

I'm quite tempted to buy a Gods and Men poster -- which comes with a bonus DVD of the film

sykotek

theblackdragon wrote:

please revive this existing ST Fan Club thread.

also, i, too, loved Voyager when i was a kid (i remember commandeering the TV that night so that i could watch the pilot episode while i was working on a science fair project, lol), but now... meh, it's still better than Enterprise (and that's only because the Xindi arc bored me to tears, really).

@theblackdragon: That's sad to hear about Enterprise since that is the one series I haven't watched, but if its worse than Voyager, for me, that would make it the worst Star Trek series ever. Thread revived.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

theblackdragon

@sykotek: that's not to say that there weren't any good episodes of Enterprise at all, it's just that since Voyager ran for longer, it had more.
and i'll also admit that i've got a bit of a hate-boner for the Xindi arc, and also the way they ended Enterprise was pretty lame too... ugh :/

BEST THREAD EVER

the_shpydar

Totally, that last episode of Enterprise was lame. I get what they were trying to do by tying it to TNG, but ... oy. As far as i'm concerned, the episode that aired before the last ep was the "real" finale.

And yeah, the whole Xindi arc was way weak. But much of the rest of the series was good, and some of the final season quite good. And Shran ruled, but of course you can never go wrong with Jeffrey Combs. =)

The Shpydarloggery

Macaronius

To Spock: You have quite a stiff lip there, Herbert.

Spock: My name is not Herbert.

To Spock: Herbert, Herbert, Herbert!

Spock raises his eyebrow

"The Search For Eden" was quite a strange episode

Edited on by Macaronius

*Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah!*

theblackdragon

@proto: it was definitely one of those episodes where you had to consider what was going on in the world at the time it was filmed, lol.

BEST THREAD EVER

Macaronius

theblackdragon wrote:

@proto: it was definitely one of those episodes where you had to consider what was going on in the world at the time it was filmed, lol.

My thoughts exactly...

*Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah!*

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.