Forums

Topic: South Park "201" Censored

Posts 21 to 39 of 39

Magi

I once watched an episode of South Park on Comedy Central where they actually had a counter in the top right corner of the screen that went "ding" every time someone said the "F" word. No censoring whatsoever. Now they're censoring the word "Muhammad"? He isn't even a god, he's a freakin prophet. Are they going to start censoring the word "Moses" now?

Magi

y2josh

I think it was the other word for poop they did the counter thingy on unless they did another one since I stopped watching religiously

y2josh

Rensch

Yeah, that was actually pretty funny.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Slapshot

@Rensch.... I do believe in Christianity and Im not going into depths or anything and I DONT ever argue who is right or wrong etc as there is no point in it and usually just makes the one doing the fussing look really bad,incompetent, etc. But having said that I will say this. Islam and Christianity are two ENTIRELY seperate beings. Yes Christians have had there wars, etc but as a whole, Christians are of peace, not violence. You dont see Christians murdering over things such as this. Im sure somebody somehere has, but take what Im saying as a whole and not over one incident, overall Christians are peaceful and if they live to what the Bible says that is exactly the way they should. Some choose to flaunt or literally throw their religion on others and when I see that it always hits me just wrong. Christians are suppose to live by example. There are peaceful Islamist though but the religion stands to see a worldwide nation of Islam and therein you get the extreme believers who will do anything to get just that.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

zezhyrule

Rensch wrote:

That's my problem with the concept of organized religion, particularly the montheïstic ones such as Islam and Christianity. They hold on to an absolute thruth. If someone questions that absolute thruth, he or she is evil or blasphemic while in reality he or she exposes the weaknesses or even dangers of such religious concepts. (Hence the meaning of my sig!)

I'm sorry that you got a bad idea of Christians from whoever, and I implore you to read this: http://thejorgezone.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/believe-it-or-no...

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Rensch

I wasn't meaning to say all Christians or Muslims are total loons or anything. I am also not saying that the concept of absolute thruth is solely a religious thing, don't get me wrong, communists (they imposed atheism under Stalin), nazi's etc. did it too. Don't think that I believe churches don't contribute anything positive to society. I give my old clothes away to the Salvation Army too, I admire people who, out of their beliefs, build hospitals in Africa.

My point is that religion still plays an important role in the motivations of some people to impose certain values upon others. The radicals such as fundamentalist muslims want to impose a theocracy. This is off course a crazy idea but that's not to say certain moderate muslims or christians, jews, hindus or whatever don't try to impose certain values upon people who don't follow the same religion or line of thought.

Take for example the idea that homosexual couples should be excluded from marriage. I don't know how the christians on NL feel about the issue but I personally think it is pretty darn scary that in many so-called secular western democracies there is no way two loving people can get married simply because they just so happen to be of the same gender. This is only because there is still a popular majority denying these rights based upon century old religious texts. It's brutally discriminating! And what about the pope, who's telling AIDS-ridden African countries condoms are bad?

I don't know how secular you Christian NL'ers are, but the word "impose" doesn't mean the use of violent force per se. If the law says marraige should be exclusive to heterosexual couples that usually is because such laws are still uphold based upon religious views, even though the concept of western democracy is deemed to mean church and state are seperated, while in reality they are not completely.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Magi

slapshot82 wrote:

...You dont see Christians murdering over things such as this any more...

fixed.

y2josh wrote:

I think it was the other word for poop they did the counter thingy on unless they did another one since I stopped watching religiously

yeap THAT was the one I was thinking of.

Magi

SpentAllMyTokens

I thought that episode was hilarious, but now I desperately want to know what they learned from the whole ordeal. The best part was when they referenced back to the super best friends episode where Muhammad was shown without any controversy.

Honestly, I think the saddest part of censoring this episode is that it gives the violent extremest Muslims the spotlight over the overwhelming majority of peaceful Muslims. People often tend to talk about "Muslims" as a unified entity, when just like how most Christians don't blow up abortion clinics, most Muslims aren't terrorists.

Many Muslims are probably no more offended than many Christians when South Park takes God's name in vein, or Buddhists when Buddha does coke, or any other religion that's been parodied on that show, but did not threaten to kill anyone. I'd bet there are even a lot who can laugh at themselves.

I honestly would be surprised if this was the first time they've gotten death threats. This probably only was given credence and publicity because it was a "Muslim terrorist." Since 9/11 Muslims have had a tough time (there's not one I know who couldn't tell you a story of prejudice after 9/11) and often are misunderstood. Unfortunately, it just takes a few nutjobs to malign a whole religion.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

citizenerased

A Statement from Matt and Trey

In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it.

http://www.southparkstudios.co.uk/news/

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

Roxy

slapshot82 wrote:

I think the real point is the "Why do they censor when they joke about this when they dont when they joke about Jesus, Buddah, etc?" That is the real question to the story.

Because Christians and Buddhists don't usually murder people when they take a rip on their gods like Muslims do.

Roxy

The_Fox

Roxy wrote:

slapshot82 wrote:

I think the real point is the "Why do they censor when they joke about this when they dont when they joke about Jesus, Buddah, etc?" That is the real question to the story.

Because Christians and Buddhists don't usually murder people when they take a rip on their gods like Muslims do.

Well, Buddhists don't.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Bankai

I thought religious discussions weren't allowed on NintendoLife? Because this is what it's turned into.

Anyway, if it's that hard to understand why a commercial entity might err on the side of caution over an issue that is known to cause greivances with a few hundred million people around the world, then you're just not trying to think clearly.

But don't worry, there's plenty of online forums and other non-commercial entities that don't care if they offend people. I'm sure you'll be able to find "Mohammed" mentioned in an irreverent manner somewhere if you're that keen, and I bet you could even find some images of him visiting the men's room if you were really really keen.

Edited on by Bankai

Slapshot

@Waltz.... I kinda think your missing the point. In America there are major debates currently within our people of America vs our Government. It seems to many people that the government is catering to the Muslims at the expense of the protection of Americans. Muslim extremest are allowed to freely speak AntiAmerican propoganda everday on the streets in Washington DC, but if a American goes up to them and says anything negative about it, its more than like to be the American thrown in jail. MSNBC recently ran an hour show on this very issue. Not to mention the Fort Know Massacre that the US Government still to this day denies had any Muslim Extreme Affiliation, even when the shooters brother confirmed it in an interview stating "they deserved it because the American are in our country killing Muslims".

Then you have all the conspiracy that the president is a Muslim, etc. This is a big deal here in the States and the recent attacks in Russia have really made the issue explode lately.

This is why the episode occured. Matt and Trey Parker always take sensitive issue and make fun of it and have been doing it for Years. South Park is a offensive show and always will be. Everyone knows that.

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

The_Fox

slapshot82 wrote:

Then you have all the conspiracy that the president is a Muslim, etc

That conspiracy just shows some people are dumb enough to believe anything. The ones that do believe that tend to be annoyingly loud, also.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Big_A2

It's rather strange, considering the prophet Muhammad himself was apparantly very open minded about religions.

grenworthshero

okay, I just watched it, and I thought it was kind of amusing, but censoring the speech at the end was just stupid. It made me smirk a little bit, but I really just wanted to know what they were saying, and I didn't find it funny.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

theblackdragon

i think we've all agreed (except perhaps for Waltz) that it either (a) was lame, or (b) made it funnier for Comedy Central to have censored the 'i think i've learned something today' at the end of the episode. i guess we'll find out next week what they'll respond with, as promised by their statement.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.