Forums

Topic: South Park "201" Censored

Posts 1 to 20 of 39

PaupackElite

I was wondering if anyone had heard about the new controversy around South Park recently. If any of you guys had seen some previous episodes, you would have seen them almost poking fun at censorship regarding Muhammad. On Wednesday's episode Comedy Central chose to censor them from even saying Muhammad's name. I'm not trying to put down some religions and put others higher up, but that seems excessive censoring to me. The censoring of the name ruins the whole point of the episode for South Park.
I was just wondering what you guys thought about it.

Good day. ... I said Good day
We have to go back Kate! WE HAVE TO GO BAAAAAAAACK!!!!!
Modern Warfare Reflex Edition 5332-3502-2691
My Backloggery

grenworthshero

I think that makes it even funnier. It's like they're inadvertently making fun of it even more. Irony at its finest.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Crystalking18

In the beginning, it was sorta funny. I thought that it was because they were censoring it more as a joke. The end where they censor the whole speech was a bit too much though, with practically every word censored. Upon learning about the whole situation, I want the true episode aired without the cenosoring of the name. Granted, the image should be censored to avoiding any of the controversy surrounding it, but the speech around it is too much. And I would know, I'm probably one of the biggest South Park fans in my town.

FF6: Release year- 1994
Kefka's birthday - November 9th
So.... my life is practically mirroring Kefka? Cool.

Infernape1000

I don't really care. I'm just glad I was able to watch it somewhere online, since I missed out on it on Wednesday.

Twitter - Infernape1000
Youtube - Infernape1000

y2josh

I didnt see it, but from the sounds of it, it could'ave been Matt and Trey's idea to have the bleeping.

Legal online episodes http://www.southparkstudios.com/

Edited on by y2josh

y2josh

y2josh

Never mind. Just read a statement and Comedy Central did do the bleeping according to the boys.

y2josh

RandomWiiPlayer

South Park sucks anyway.

Except for the gay fish episode. That was hilarious.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

Terra

I saw this and thought the bleeping was really excessive. I mean seriously, did they really need to bleep every mention of Muhammad? Censorship gone mad, honestly. I could say more but I cba, it's ridiculous.

Terra

Twitter:

Slapshot

I think the real point is the "Why do they censor when they joke about this when they dont when they joke about Jesus, Buddah, etc?" That is the real question to the story.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Machu

Whilst watching I thought it was another moment of satirical genius from Matt n Trey. Little did I know the joke was on them. ****ing stupid it is I tells ya! Grrrr!

Rawr!

the_shpydar

I thought the same, with the censoring of the "I learned something today..." speeches; it actually made for a really good meta-joke!

But it is a sad commentary that Comedy Central (or Viacom) feels the need to do it. Especially since the majority of their other programming is far more offensive to everyone by its sheer crappiness.

The episode(s) were actually cool, especially for those of us watching since the beginning with all the references to pretty much every single previous episode.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

longtimegamer

@Slapshot82: Because they think someone will actually be killed if they dont censor it, would be my guess. Not as likely that that would happen in the case of Jesus and Budda maybe (though I doubt that no one would have threaten because of that. I could see someone at least doing that with the Jesus thing.) ? That or they never recieved anything that was intimidating from people offended about these guys doing this with Jesus and Budda.
Comedy Central's address was on some posting (or something like that) that appeared possibly threating.

Edited on by longtimegamer

3ds fc: 1247-0003-1095
MK Fc: 2793- 3370-8506
Wii Fc: 7382-7314-0404-2194
Fiance Wendy's MK FC:(Same system) 4854-9224-0913
Uno FC: 1849-3080-8612
Overturn FC: 3266-3672-0977
Animal Crossing CF FC: 3094-5964-6068 Name: LTGamer, town: Wiitopia.

"NO SOU...

Machu

Apparently they had received threats after '200', and all they did in that was tease the possibility. It's just a ridiculous situation that goes far deeper than S'Park. I'd like to discuss it, buuut....

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Slapshot

@longtime.... actually a man was killed over somithing similar to this, and said the it wouldnt suprise him if the the creators of South Park ended up just like him, who have in fact made fun of EVERYTHING including Jesus, Buddah, etc. It was done to protect the guys but well... Im just going to leave it at that. There is something to be learned here for Americans but that is just my opinion.

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Adamant

While he wasn't killed, the Dane who drew the original Muhammed drawings that sparked this entire controversy was attacked in his home by a man armed with an ax (I think) a while back. The police thankfully got a hold of the assailant before he caused any actual damage.

Adamant

MetalMario

I watched the new episode. I love South Park, but it stunk to see it get bleeped the whole time.

MetalMario

Nintendo Network ID: MetalMario64

The_Fox

I think the person killed by extremists wasn't the cartoonist that drew Muhammad but rather a film maker that was targeted for the content of a documentary he released.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Sylverstone

The+Fox wrote:

I think the person killed by extremists wasn't the cartoonist that drew Muhammad but rather a film maker that was targeted for the content of a documentary he released.

Yeah, Theo Van Gogh. Just because he made a film depicting brutality against Muslim women. The lady who's in the film has to be protected 24/7 now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_van_Gogh_%28film_director%29

Edited on by Sylverstone

Website | SYLVER.STREAM on Twitch | SK+SE on Ko-fi

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9715-1818 | Nintendo Network ID: Sylverstone14 | Twitter:

Rensch

I wasn't sure if the whole "You know, I've learned something today" bit was censored on purpose.

I think it's going rather far to even censor Muhammad's name. Like slapshot82 said they have Buddha sniffing coke but as for Muhammad they even censor his name.

That's my problem with the concept of organized religion, particularly the montheïstic ones such as Islam and Christianity. They hold on to an absolute thruth. If someone questions that absolute thruth, he or she is evil or blasphemic while in reality he or she exposes the weaknesses or even dangers of such religious concepts. (Hence the meaning of my sig!)

I still think South Park is the greatest TV show ever, far above the 95% of junk you get on TV these days.

Just to clear it up: Kurt Westergaard, the Danish Cartoonist was almost killed at home but he had a specially armored door in case something like this would happen. Theo van Gogh was killed in the middle of the street in Amsterdam while about to shoot a film.

Edited on by Rensch

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.