Forums

Topic: Sooo Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize this week

Posts 121 to 139 of 139

StarBoy91

sry, y'all. My reaction was more than childish.

To each their own

The_Fox

WaltzElf wrote:

Well, apologies if it came off as condescending. Not the intention - unfortunate by-product of doing ten things at once.

All I meant is that if you step back and look objectively at what Obama has done with America on the world stage, it's pretty inspirational stuff. I realise that it's difficult when there's so much resistance to his domestic policy - which may or may not be good, I don't know - but as the leader of the most influential nation on the planet, Obama has done so, so much in fixing the hole Bush dug you guys into.

I agree with you on that count. Obama has been a good influence on our image abroad. I don't want to get into my opinions on W. because this thread is already getting heated (spoiler: I wasn't a fan of his), but he was just a little unpopular in the rest of the world.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

clicketyclick

WaltzElf, care to elaborate on exactly what he's done with the Middle East aside from delivered some nice speeches that may not have gone over so well and attempted to restart peace talks that are already failing?

I mean, has he done more for the Middle East than Sima Samar has? Or the Prince of Jordan, who was also nominated? Don't you think that saying an American President who hasn't even been in office for a year (and was likely not even in office when he was nominated) has done more for the Middle East that Asian/Middle Easterners have is a little... you know...

Edited on by clicketyclick

Now Playing: Bioshock

Bankai

clicketyclick wrote:

WaltzElf, care to elaborate on exactly what he's done with the Middle East aside from delivered some nice speeches that may not have gone over so well and attempted to restart peace talks that are already failing?

I mean, has he done more for the Middle East than Sima Samar has? Or the Prince of Jordan, who was also nominated?

He's diplomatically inching his way onto the negotiating table. To be able to complete 180 America's Middle Eastern policy (which had previously been to threaten and rattle sabers), which has existed well, well before Bush - it's not easy to be taken seriously doing that, and yet the one and only Middle Eastern nation that is even resisting is Iran.

Anyone who can actually win the respect of both Palestine and Israel is pretty freaking amazing.

Don't you think that saying an American President who hasn't even been in office for a year (and was perhaps not even in office when he was nominated) has done more for the Middle East that Asian/Middle Easterners have is a little... you know...

They're both exceptional people as well, I'm not denying that. However, ultimately, for there to be peace in the Middle East, it was America who was going to have to make a genuine attempt to be peaceful.

Edited on by Bankai

clicketyclick

@Waltz -
Here, Palestinians describe awarding him with the Peace Prize as "insulting". Here, he is described as having low popularity among Palestinians.

Here, Israelis distrust him. He has very low popularity.

Both sides are skeptical. He has earned the skepticism of both the Israelis and the Palestinians, which is pretty freaking amazing.

Edited on by clicketyclick

Now Playing: Bioshock

Bankai

clicketyclick wrote:

@Waltz -
Here, Palestinians describe awarding him with the Peace Prize as "insulting". Here, he is described as having low popularity among Palestinians.

Both sides are skeptical. He has earned the skepticism of both the Israelis and the Palestinians, which is pretty freaking amazing.

Hm. I could have sworn he was playing both sides well not long ago. This is interesting.

DjPhatskillz

WaltzElf wrote:

clicketyclick wrote:

@Waltz -

Hm. I could have sworn he was playing both sides well not long ago. This is interesting.

quod erat demonstrandum, clickety, quod erat demonstrandum

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

I love that we have Baraka here commenting on Barrack.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Slapshot

@Adam... dude I could so add to that comment but after getting my post deleted I would be banned for sure lol. Im goin to keep it to myself. Aye there is a game on miniclips where you play paintball against the presidents wich is awesome you guys should really check it out. Mortal Kombat you get Baraka, Barrack you get a great Miniclip game.

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

DjPhatskillz

if Baraka was president...
[youtube:VKEuhd9Q-Wc]
...he would do this to his haters

EDIT:he would win the nobel "cut you into pieces" prize

Edited on by DjPhatskillz

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slapshot

@DjPhat... dude you just made my night... that is freakin hilarious. The Barrack Obama Nobel Pieces Prize.... that is priceless.

Edited on by Slapshot

DjPhatskillz

Untitled
President Baraka is not afraid to admire the booty...

Edited on by DjPhatskillz

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jbrodack

To try to go back to the OP no Obama didn't deserve the peace prize. Neither did Al Gore. Neither did anything to make the world a more peaceful place. Gandhi never got a peace prize either. Their methods for choosing the recipient of the prize seem quite a bit off. I agree with click that the prize would have helped others much more than it could help obama.

Obama simply hasn't done anything tangible for peace. Yeah, you could say he started progress in middle east negotiations but that amounts to nothing. You could say that about tons of people that they made "progress" in the middle east. Even Bush eventually was somewhat credited for progress in peace talks in middle east. However, unless something really tangible is there for peace in the middle east I would be very hesitant to credit anyone for actually doing anything in that area.
The whole "hope" thing doesn't amount to anything either. Especially since the hope inspired isn't exactly universal.

(now off direct topic)

With bush haters people suddenly got all political and hated him and state of the country. Obama got elected and they think everything is great yet not much has changed. I'm intrigued about how the whole health care thing will pan out though as I like the idea of it but am worried about the implementation. Still, for me the bush years leading into obama made me realize that the country's problems aren't caused by just republicans or democrats but by both parties and most politicians out there. There is a lot of corruption and unfair practices ingrained in the way both parties do things, much too much for any person with big promises to change things can actually change since the fact that they were able to rise to prominence in these parties mean that compromises and deals had to be made, and special interests had to be pandered to.

The only people that would inspire true hope to me would be independents like Ralph Nader or Jesse Ventura. People who are genuine and actually care about real change. Of course these kinds of people even becoming governor is a rare occurrence with presidency almost impossible.

Edited on by jbrodack

wii code: 2630-2655-0027-8482
onslaught friend code: 1977-7779-8949
bomberman blast: 1634 2282 0930

Rensch

I think it is too early for Obama to get the prize. Don't get me wrong, I admire Obama, but before he gets a prize like this, I want to see some actual results, which there are few of, also because he has been in office for only a few months.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Slapshot

@Dj.... that pic is phenominal.

DjPhatskillz

this is what president baraka would do to you if you voted for mccain
[youtube:7QRj62l2qoU]

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slapshot

lol..... crap I guess Im dead then, though I still havent figured out why I did vote for McCain either.

DjPhatskillz

good thing he decided not to run in 2008. watch your back in 2012 though.

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.