General Discussion Forum

Topic: Sooo Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize this week

Showing 101 to 120 of 139

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaLuigi1982

101. Posted:

I hope this thread gets locked before there is a national incident. We all live in different countries people and we come here to talk about video games.

WaLuigi1982

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

102. Posted:

@cheetahman91: about as much as this image:
Untitled

also, lol Chicken Brutus :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zenman

103. Posted:

cheetahman91 wrote:

What does any of this have to do with Obama winning the prize?

nothing. nothing at all...
methinks

my deviantART backloggery!
nL chatroom BETAness
my pwnage channel
check out my fanfic!
im not dead...just in college...aka worse
all hail lord veigar!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

clicketyclick

104. Posted:

WaLuigi1982 wrote:

I hope this thread gets locked before there is a national incident. We all live in different countries people and we come here to talk about video games.

I kinda hope it doesn't. I don't understand why every thread that goes beyond "what's your fav colour?" needs to end up getting locked because people can't cope with others expressing different, substantive opinions.

Now Playing: Bioshock

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

105. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

People say lots of things. Being an outsider may make you objective (though not really, but whatever), but it also makes you less informed. Who knows a country better than one who lives there? I don't know where you're from, but I wouldn't presume to tell you better about it if I did know. In fact, as an American, I would quickly be laughed at for it, but of course when it goes the other way, everyone can tell us what our country needs.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your opinion of Obama, just your approach in presenting it to us.

I don't presume to know much about American society or culture - I'm only commenting on foreign politics here. The republicans weren't just disliked internationally, they were dangerous, and Obama's ability to reverse a lot of that in such a short time is truly amazing. The rest of the world is much happier with America now - and, again, when you consider how badly Bush harmed America's international reputation, that's a massive leap.

I refrain from commenting on Obama's domestic policies because I don't know the American social climate well enough, but I suspect a lot of the resistance to certain things (like health care - I'm quite happy living in Australia, which does have a public health care system) stems more from ignorance than anything else. Stuff like slapshot's (quite amusing) rant up there, for instance.

... because all americans who don't agree that Obama is naturally awesome automatically love the war and wanted Dubya to stick around for a few more terms? who's being narrowminded, again?

Obama is only a man. He eats, he drinks, he has a family, he has a (very) important job, he even smokes (or did he quit? i don't remember, nor is it any of my business, really), and he sleeps. The only reason he's even being entertained in the Middle East is because he's Not Bush, and he has done nothing yet but exist to 'earn' that prize. but do go ahead, keep telling me you know everything about my own country's politics and that because I live here, I know nothing. I'll wait patiently for you to finish, and then continue ignoring you.

I... don't see your point any more? All the Nobel Peace prize winners are just people. Exceptional people, but just people.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DjPhatskillz

106. Posted:

Acheivment unlocked: Nobel Peace Prize 300 gamescore points!

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

107. Posted:

slapshot82 wrote:

@WaltzElf.... I didnt mean anyting to you as a person or anything but Im NOT a typical American. I educated myself in politics and history and Obama is not unlike a lot of leaders that have come and gone. Our LEADER of our country has a organization of Czars now wich most all have ties to the Communist Parties of America also know as NeoNazies or whatever else you want to call it. These people are highly paid and do Not even answer to our own Supreme Court. That is Dictator. buddy not government. He has taking control (monetarily) of our banks, car industry, insurance and now trying to control Heatlcare. To others around the world this is no big deal because its a norm for you guys but In America we used to live Free. That is why our ancestors seperated themselves from Britian, to live free and not be told by Government how to live. BUT in America our children are not taught this, we have too and you are treated like a Communist if you speak like I am now in America. Obama isnt the one who started this, Bush did hisself but this has been goin on since the early 1900s. Its history and its not taught. America is loosing its freedom and Obama has put a rocket on it to get us to a full government national society as soon as possible.

What. This post is so full of untruths it's a bit funny.
"That is why our ancestors seperated themselves from Britian, to live free and not be told by Government how to live"
Straight from a 4th grade textbook.

"Our LEADER of our country has a organization of Czars now wich most all have ties to the Communist Parties of America also know as NeoNazies or whatever else you want to call it"
I don't even know where to start on that.

"America is loosing its freedom and Obama has put a rocket on it to get us to a full government national society as soon as possible."
Really. Do tell.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Machu

108. Posted:

All I know (as an outsider), is that everyone outside America wishes they had Obama, whilst a very large amount of Americans wish they didn't. That's only what I've picked up from the media I'm fed mind, so don't shoot me. :P

That's got nowt to do with the topic though. Yes, it is silly he got the award, I imagine he has questioned it himself behind closed doors. Too much, too soon, they should have saved it for a major achievement.

Obama woooh! :D

Rawr!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

109. Posted:

The+Fox wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Although this debate is utterly futile since the vast majority of Americans who read this haven't spent sufficient enough time outside of America to realise how screwed up it really is, and the real rammifications of what Obama is trying to do.

Oh, Waltzy. Trying to talk down to the rest of the board. How cute.

Not at all. Just the crazy people with wild ideas.

Other than that I just personally have no problem with Obama winning the award. That's just me. It's cool that other people think he shouldn't, but I do think claiming he hasn't done anything, when, on the world stage he's actually done quite a lot, I find a little off.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

110. Posted:

DjPhatskillz wrote:

Acheivment unlocked: Nobel Peace Prize 300 gamescore points!

Sweet!

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Fox

111. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

The+Fox wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Although this debate is utterly futile since the vast majority of Americans who read this haven't spent sufficient enough time outside of America to realise how screwed up it really is, and the real rammifications of what Obama is trying to do.

Oh, Waltzy. Trying to talk down to the rest of the board. How cute.

Not at all. Just the crazy people with wild ideas.

Other than that I just personally have no problem with Obama winning the award. That's just me.

Well, I'm not against you, you see. It's just a statement like that does come off as a bit condescending.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage
Avatar

clicketyclick

112. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

Just the crazy people with wild ideas ... It's cool that other people think he shouldn't

Hmmm. Mixed messages. What oh what should I believe?

Now Playing: Bioshock

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DjPhatskillz

113. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

I don't presume to know much about American society or culture - I'm only commenting on foreign politics here.

"Although this debate is utterly futile since the vast majority of Americans who read this haven't spent sufficient enough time outside of America to realise how screwed up it really is, and the real rammifications of what Obama is trying to do."

"The typical American doesn't know enough about the outside world to realise how dangerous Bush was."

seems like your kinda fronting right now

Edited on by DjPhatskillz

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

114. Posted:

@DJPhatskillz: lol
@WaltzElf: my point was, how does that make him different from any other president at this point? let him actually end the war during his presidency, and then give him the prize... he's got a few years ahead of him as commander-in-chief, he can (hopefully) do it. as of right now, though, all he's done is been elected, and last i checked they didn't hand out Nobel Peace Prizes to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who's been elected President of the United States just for having been elected.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

115. Posted:

Well, apologies if it came off as condescending. Not the intention - unfortunate by-product of doing ten things at once.

All I meant is that if you step back and look objectively at what Obama has done with America on the world stage, it's pretty inspirational stuff. I realise that it's difficult when there's so much resistance to his domestic policy - which may or may not be good, I don't know - but as the leader of the most influential nation on the planet, Obama has done so, so much in fixing the hole Bush dug you guys into.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DjPhatskillz

116. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@cheetahman91: about as much as this image:
Untitled

also, lol Chicken Brutus :3

does that mean bea was a thundress? i mean i weigh 185 and im a big dude...

Edited on by DjPhatskillz

KILLDOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

clicketyclick

117. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

All I meant is that if you step back and look objectively at what Obama has done with America on the world stage, it's pretty inspirational stuff. I realise that it's difficult when there's so much resistance to his domestic policy - which may or may not be good, I don't know - but as the leader of the most influential nation on the planet, Obama has done so, so much in fixing the hole Bush dug you guys into.

So effectively, he won because he's not Bush? Is there an award for that? I think we all deserve it.

Now Playing: Bioshock

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

118. Posted:

my point was, how does that make him different from any other president at this point? let him actually end the war during his presidency, and then give him the prize... he's got a few years ahead of him as commander-in-chief, he can (hopefully) do it. as of right now, though, all he's done is been elected, and last i checked they didn't hand out Nobel Peace Prizes to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who's been elected President of the United States just for having been elected.

What he's done with the Middle East is actually very impressive - and a far more peaceful way of going about it than blowing Baghdad to bits (or Kosovo before Bush).

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

119. Posted:

clicketyclick wrote:

So effectively, he won because he's not Bush? Is there an award for that? I think we all deserve it.

He won because he's done a lot to undo Bush's influence. That takes a lot more than just not being Bush.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

120. Posted:

clicketyclick wrote:

So effectively, he won because he's not Bush? Is there an award for that? I think we all deserve it.

hell, i want two. :3
edit: karaoke chat is go, i'm outta this thread for now :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon