Forums

Topic: Should a black actor play Spider-Man in the next movie?

Posts 61 to 63 of 63

Tsuchinoko

@Shingi_70 Well, i think Donald Glover is mostly doing it as a joke isn't he? That's what it seemed like. But he seems smart, from what i saw in interviews. His characters might always be stupid, but he seems to be very aware of things as far as race and ethnicity and where he stands as an actor. I think if he made it his own, i would totally imagine him doing it. I've seen him play a nerd enough already, so being Peter Parker isn't too much of a stretch. I think hollywood has a fear of black nerds though. Part of me think that if some major studio casted a black actor into the role, they'd have to change it to make it "cool" or "hip" or whatever, which is actually just as racist as thinking it would have to be blaxploitation.

I think a comedian would make sense for Peter Parker though.

For the Doctor, yeah, he is different, but i still think he should be a guy from the UK. Its such a specific culture, but to me, race and gender don't matter for the character. Its a british thing. I wouldn't mind a guy like Chiwetel Ejiofor taking the role. He's suave and charistmatic, though i don't know if he is funny. I'd be happy to get of the whole black/white thing. There are other races out there. What would intrigue me more is if, lets say, Naveen Andrews or Benedict Wong took the role.

I wasn't so into the idea of Catherine Zeta-Jones as the Doctor, but thats mostly because of her acting abilities rather than being female.

@Dicesukeinuzuka oh, and i think you meant, casting Justin Whatisface as Goku, not the other way around.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

sykotek

@Tsuchinoko: I find it terribly upsetting that my OTT comment to you "deal with it, hope it eats you up inside," is taken in a serious argumentative manner and not in my intended OTT manner, but hey you know what, regarding black Spider-Man, it IS my OPINION after all, so as much as you disagree with me and wanna paint me as a white supremacist, I'm not wrong for having it. By the way, I'm not caucasian, I just think Spider-Man should be portrayed as he already is in comics. Movies, in my opinion, should not be that vastly different from their source material. Of course a blacksploitation film is not the only valid reasoning for a black Spider-Man movie, but it would be one reason that I find would be interesting to watch with Spider-Man as a black actor, yea, thats right, I as in me, as in my opinion, not to be confused with the opinion of everyone else, would find it funny to watch in that case. I am getting tired of restating my opinion because I don't want it to be misinterpreted and I'm assuming that you're not purposefully misunderstanding me. I am curious though, what is a "valid reasoning" that you wouldn't mind sharing with me that Spider-Man be black for the next film.

@Sean Aaron: I think you miss my point that Spider-Man, Peter Parker and his story are known well enough by the mainstream populace for the last 60 years, I don't think the same can be said for Shawshank, so a change such as switching from white to black of the main character of a franchise would not make sense to those people especially if it doesn't add anything to the character. At least Nick Fury and Kingpin were not the title characters of a movie and in the case of Nick Fury, there was a decision in the comics to change him. I didn't watch Daredevil. Also, based on what you last wrote, I'm not caucasian and I connect with Spider-Man/Peter Parker just fine the way he currently is. What I want to see in a movie is comics translated to the big screen not have elements changed to accommodate for viewers that wouldn't watch it in the first place without those new elements in place. If the original creators/writers have a say and that is what they want, they'll probably have a good reason for it and it'd most likely be watchable as it would be explored in the story anyways, but if that is only what the director decided, of course in the end, I would "deal with it," I would vote with my wallet and wouldn't watch it or support it in any way, I'm not gonna go protest in front of movie theaters to try to change others opinions either.

After lock edit: I get your point TBD, I come from a multi-ethnic area where my friends and I are not in the habit of censoring ourselves and often openly rib each other based on racial stereotypes. I can understand how my statements could not sit well with others who did not grow in such an environment., so since they didn't get a chance to respond, I'd like to apologize to Tsuchinoko and anyone else who might have been offended by my comments. I am sorry, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was only trying to share my opinion. Spider-Man is a beloved childhood superhero of mine and because he has been around longer than I have, his character and story, in my opinion, should not be drastically changed just to make a buck, we are under the opinion that it cheapens the character. Once again, sorry, no offense intended.

Edited on by sykotek

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

theblackdragon

@sykotek: the problem with topics like these is that not everyone is coming from the same place and will read things in the same manner as you meant them to be read. time to lay this topic to rest; argue it someplace else, everyone.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.