General Discussion Forum

Topic: Shigeru Miyamoto "I have never said that video games are an art"

Showing 21 to 40 of 74

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

21. Posted:

Enjoying this thread so far.

Whirlpool wrote:

I'm sorry, but Miyamoto is becoming a bit irrelevant to Nintendo nowadays.

^ that seems unwarranted. Especially given that this thread is evidence of his continued relevance; the man just received an award!

Miyamoto will remain a rock star, the more he shies from the lime light the greater his legend will grow. :3

Why do so many people hate Indie Games?

64supermario wrote:

Because they're butts.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

22. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

I was offended. I can't believe I am in the same "group" as the Mel Gibson dude.

I can't believe that's a bad thing. Now I'm offended.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

23. Posted:

Though to be honest, from his point of view I can actually understand him. If I were to make a game to sell it, the last thing I would want to consider it is "art". It would be a product, maybe a personal favorite, but not art.

You do realise how very few professional novelists/ poets/ musicians/ filmmakers/ painters/ photographers/ sculptors/ actors/ playwrights do their work without planning to make money from it?

By your logic there art is a mythological creation that doesn't actually exist in the world.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

24. Posted:

No, by my logic, things end up being art because people appreciate them, not because the creator says so.

If you go around with a bucket full of ego claiming everything you create is art then the day your "art" fails will be the worst day of your life.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DestinyMan

25. Posted:

Most people think of painting, drawing, and sculpting when someone says the word, "art" but it's much broader than that. Art can also refer to writing, theater, and music, and that's where the plural word, "arts" comes from. I'm going to have to disagree with Miyamoto because video game developers artistically create sprites or 3D models of characters and game environments and objects. Sure, people interact with the art, but actors and actresses interact in the art of theater. Art takes creativity to make, and creativity is a must in order to make video games.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

26. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

No, by my logic, things end up being art because people appreciate them, not because the creator says so.

If you go around with a bucket full of ego claiming everything you create is art then the day your "art" fails will be the worst day of your life.

I'm a published author. I didn't go around thinking I was writing a piece of art while I was writing the piece. But I was well aware that literature is a form of art.

It would make me genuinely sad to find that Miyamoto legitimately thought the entire games industry had no artistic value. I do hope he was merely misquoted.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

27. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I knew it was either you, Canis, or Waltz who'd make a thread like this.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

I'm not sure if I want to be offended or laugh. I think I'll go with the latter.

As for me, video games being art depends on the game in its entirety.

I was offended. I can't believe I am in the same "group" as the Mel Gibson dude.

You are very welcome, good sir.

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

28. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

No, by my logic, things end up being art because people appreciate them, not because the creator says so.

If you go around with a bucket full of ego claiming everything you create is art then the day your "art" fails will be the worst day of your life.

I'm a published author. I didn't go around thinking I was writing a piece of art while I was writing the piece. But I was well aware that literature is a form of art.

It would make me genuinely sad to find that Miyamoto legitimately thought the entire games industry had no artistic value. I do hope he was merely misquoted.

Oh well don't worry then, from that quote, he never said video games had no artistic potential or value... He just said that, from his developer point of view, Nintendo games were not art, just products.

To me, considering your own work as art and being vocal about it is kinda arrogant. I'd like to think it's the same for him. That would explain what he said.

Even then, he's just a man, he can have his own opinion. He started working on them as a full grown adult, it's not strange if he doesn't consider them to be art.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

29. Posted:

I consider these two points to be equivalent, adjusting for personal bias. Miyamoto offering a strict definition of his work.

Morphtroid wrote:

Though to be honest, from his point of view I can actually understand him. If I were to make a game to sell it, the last thing I would want to consider it is "art". It would be a product, maybe a personal favorite, but not art.

Bankai wrote:

I do suspect what Miyamoto's is refering to here is INTENTION. Certainly in big budget games there has always been the intention to make a produc that makes money. But the same is true about blockbuster Hollywood. Anyone think that films can't be art because of Hollywood?

A surprisingly short sighted argument from the great man. He was either misquoted or quoted out of context, surely.

I disagree with the last bit given what precedes, but that's beside the point.

Why do so many people hate Indie Games?

64supermario wrote:

Because they're butts.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WesCash

30. Posted:

I don't think Miyamoto really intended to make a definitive statement about videogames as art.
I think he's just a modest guy that cares about his customers.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

31. Posted:

I also think none of these posts are going to reason with change @Chrono_Cross' opinions.

Honestly, if a dude like Miyamoto, who makes games that often go beyond the lines of awesome, thinks his work isn't art, then I'd pay to see what he considers "art."

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

32. Posted:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I also think none of these posts are going to reason with change @Chrono_Cross' opinions.

Honestly, if a dude like Miyamoto, who makes games that often go beyond the lines of awesome, thinks his work isn't art, then I'd pay to see what he considers "art."

Wait, what was Chrono's opinion anyway?

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

33. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I also think none of these posts are going to reason with change @Chrono_Cross' opinions.

Honestly, if a dude like Miyamoto, who makes games that often go beyond the lines of awesome, thinks his work isn't art, then I'd pay to see what he considers "art."

Wait, what was Chrono's opinion anyway?

Exactly! :|

Why was this thread made again?

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

34. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

No, by my logic, things end up being art because people appreciate them, not because the creator says so.

If you go around with a bucket full of ego claiming everything you create is art then the day your "art" fails will be the worst day of your life.

I'm a published author. I didn't go around thinking I was writing a piece of art while I was writing the piece. But I was well aware that literature is a form of art.

It would make me genuinely sad to find that Miyamoto legitimately thought the entire games industry had no artistic value. I do hope he was merely misquoted.

Holy crud. You wrote a book!?

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SMEXIZELDAMAN

35. Posted:

He is right, of course. Videogames aren't art desu~.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

36. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

No, by my logic, things end up being art because people appreciate them, not because the creator says so.

If you go around with a bucket full of ego claiming everything you create is art then the day your "art" fails will be the worst day of your life.

I'm a published author. I didn't go around thinking I was writing a piece of art while I was writing the piece. But I was well aware that literature is a form of art.

It would make me genuinely sad to find that Miyamoto legitimately thought the entire games industry had no artistic value. I do hope he was merely misquoted.

Holy crud. You wrote a book!?

Not yet. I contributed to a compilation of short stories/ novellas, it was a competition-style thing for up-and-coming authors a few years back. I'm not even sure I have a copy of it any more. It was a pretty crappy book, lol.

I'm in the process of writing a book but at the rate I'm going it'll be years before I let anyone look at it.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

37. Posted:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I also think none of these posts are going to reason with change @Chrono_Cross' opinions.

Honestly, if a dude like Miyamoto, who makes games that often go beyond the lines of awesome, thinks his work isn't art, then I'd pay to see what he considers "art."

Wait, what was Chrono's opinion anyway?

Exactly! :|

Why was this thread made again?

Who cares? Either discuss the topic at hand or knock it off plz.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

38. Posted:

WesCash wrote:

I don't think Miyamoto really intended to make a definitive statement about videogames as art.
I think he's just a modest guy that cares about his customers.

That's sure what it sounds like, doesn't it?

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

39. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I also think none of these posts are going to reason with change @Chrono_Cross' opinions.

Honestly, if a dude like Miyamoto, who makes games that often go beyond the lines of awesome, thinks his work isn't art, then I'd pay to see what he considers "art."

Wait, what was Chrono's opinion anyway?

I'm not sure what I said that has angered him and Waltz but it seems like it's personal.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

40. Posted:

Here's a novel idea: don't get hung up on what other people do or don't think is art, and decide for yourself what you think is art.

You'll breathe easier that way.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat