Forums

Topic: Shigeru Miyamoto "I have never said that video games are an art"

Posts 61 to 73 of 73

the_shpydar

Bankai wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

"If an enemy explodes in a forest and the camera is not pointing in that direction, did the game render it?"

No wait, that doesn't sound quite right.

If you're carrying an handgun and head shot the enemy, how can you clap and cheer when you've only got one hand free?

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Gamesake

Jaz007 wrote:

Gamesake wrote:

Shigeru_Miyamoto wrote:

"What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

That's my boy.

I keep telling you guys. The games industry is a money making business. Video games are not art. They're products of corporate greed.

Movies, books, and music are money making businesses too and your refrence is like blasting movies for where cameras, computer that are involved in making moves, and DVD players are made.

I'm not referencing where they're being made--I'm referencing one of many cases of corporate greed that you're all likely familiar with. Money is all that drives the gaming industry. If developers aren't making enough profit they will not keep making games. On the other hand even without money artists will still make art.

...in my pants.

kkslider5552000

Gamesake wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

Gamesake wrote:

Shigeru_Miyamoto wrote:

"What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

That's my boy.

I keep telling you guys. The games industry is a money making business. Video games are not art. They're products of corporate greed.

Movies, books, and music are money making businesses too and your refrence is like blasting movies for where cameras, computer that are involved in making moves, and DVD players are made.

I'm not referencing where they're being made--I'm referencing one of many cases of corporate greed that you're all likely familiar with. Money is all that drives the gaming industry. If developers aren't making enough profit they will not keep making games. On the other hand even without money artists will still make art.

Hi I'm the skip button. Please use me to skip an unnecessary debate.

PLEASE! PLEASE! I BEG YOU!

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Captain-N

Although one could poke a hole in this theory by stating about other media, I would imagine if Nintendo's stance is that they make products, as opposed to art, (it) is b/c they would inevitably have their fans tell them to make such, & such a game, even down to particulars possibly, on the basis of telling Nintendo that if the product/game doesn't sell well, that that wasn't Nintendo's goal for the game to begin with. Nintendo's stance of their games as products, could be interpruted as terminology(specifically, a play on words so to speak) to primarily keep the shareholders happy; don't ever let them(the shareholders) think Nintendo is all about making art, as opposed to profit. But, what I originally mentioned above could be a secondary reason.

Again, both reasons could be debated into nothing, or near-nothing. I'm just guessing.

Edited on by Captain-N

Captain-N

Odnetnin

For some reason I spend way too much time thinking about games as art, and I recently reread Roge Ebert's thoughts on the matter. Combining his attempts to define art with my desire to exclude Angry Birds and Call of Duty from my personal definition, I came up with something along the lines of "art is a work that helps learn more about myself, reveals a universal truth about the human experience, and/or has a lasting improvement on my quality of life."

I know this is a terrible definition that I'm writing for the first time at midnight, but you have to start somewhere. Anyway, I like the idea of a very exclusive definition, not just to exclude games I think are meaningless, but also to exclude games that are my favorites solely because they're really fun.

Currently. Little Inferno and BIT.TRIP FLUX are the only two games I've decided are art (and the latter can be fully appreciated only by someone who's played the other five games in the series, which is admittedly a huge caveat). I picked them because I can identify the humanity-based themes I believe they epitomize, (moving forward and letting go, respectively). Portal is approaching art under my definition, in case anyone is curious.

Really sorry of this is the wrong place, but it's helped me to write all of this out.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

The only games that I would ever consider art are the ones with meaning and purpose i.e. Metal Gear Solid and Journey.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

V8_Ninja

That's...kind-of disappointing, especially from someone who helped birth some of the most creative games series of all time. Then again, I would assume that Miyamoto's comments are based on Japanese philosophical and ideological understandings and thus his definition of art may be different than what it is perceived to be in the Eastern world.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

PanicPuppet

Mr. Miyamoto is just being humble. It all comes down to what you think is "art."

Walt Disney created Disneyland for children, yet look at how many adults love it. George Lucas made [the first] Star Wars originally as a homage to classic Flash Gordon serials that adults back in the day remembered, look at how many kids loved it way back; not to mention nowadays.

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

Chrono_Cross

DarkKnight wrote:

Oh yeah I should mention MGS3 approaches art for me as well.

And yes, that's still the only MGS game I've played.

Your first Metal Gear Solid, eh? Allhopeisgone.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.