General Discussion Forum

Topic: Shigeru Miyamoto "I have never said that video games are an art"

Showing 1 to 20 of 74

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

1. Posted:

Miyamoto was in the U.K. to accept a Fellowship award from BAFTA, and said, "It's a great honor that my name might be listed as a fellowship member along with such a great director as Hitchcock."

At the same time, Miyamoto resisted the idea of putting games in the same classification as film, noting that he sees his role more as that of an entertainer. "I have never said that video games (are) an art," he said.

He also says similar things in another interview.

Shigeru_Miyamoto wrote:

"What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

Source (in Japanese)
http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0910/27/news082_3.html

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

2. Posted:

Miyamoto knows best because he is a god!

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuardianKing

3. Posted:

I knew it was either you, Canis, or Waltz who'd make a thread like this.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

4. Posted:

Shigeru_Miyamoto wrote:

"What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

That's my boy.

I keep telling you guys. The games industry is a money making business. Video games are not art. They're products of corporate greed.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

5. Posted:

Not to restart the same old tail-chasing argument that usually happens whenever anyone gets wind of the words 'video games' and 'art' being used in the same sentence, but

(a) Art isn't really in the eye of the creator; one man's crap is another man's mindblowing statement about life, the universe, and everything
(b) It's in the nature of Japanese culture for people to be humble about their own work and allow others to praise it fully.

'Art' is too subjective a term, and if he doesn't want it applied to his games by his subordinates, that's his call to make, but he can't stop anyone else from saying (or awarding things) as they please. Either way, congratulations to him on the award~

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

6. Posted:

All I have to say is: Miyamoto used to be a frontrunner when it came to story-telling in games, so I find this news nothing short of ironic, even if it's not quite unexpected.

EDIT: Oh, and he did get an award? Neat.

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I knew it was either you, Canis, or Waltz who'd make a thread like this.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

Why would I make a thread about this? If it has nothing to do with RPGs or anime/manga, I don't care that much about it. :P

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

turtlelink

7. Posted:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I knew it was either you, Canis, or Waltz who'd make a thread like this.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

Why?

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordJumpMad

8. Posted:

The best quote I heard from old Shiggy was this one:

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

9. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

Shigeru_Miyamoto wrote:

"What we have created are not art but products. For us, the main are the customers and not games themselves. I always tell staff to call Nintendo games products, not art."

That's my boy.

I keep telling you guys. The games industry is a money making business. Video games are not art. They're products of corporate greed.

Movies, books, and music are money making businesses too and your refrence is like blasting movies for where cameras, computer that are involved in making moves, and DVD players are made.

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

10. Posted:

Just to riff on TBD's comment:
I tend to agree that art is in the eye of the beholder. While Miyamoto doesn't set out to create art, that isn't his "business demographic" after all, he wouldn't hesitate to accredit the great success of the Zelda and Pikmin series to their compelling visual artistry. Conjecture on my part, but it's clear he takes pride in his efforts which automatically places his products in a league of their own.
Whatever the outcome of The Great Debate there are experiences intrinsic to games that compel the player to transcend the medium. If a game crafts such a distinct moment the player will know, and enough such experiences qualify the game as a work of art. By definition I would argue, though of course everyone has a different interpretation.

Edited on by OptometristLime

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

11. Posted:

I respectively disagree with him, but I don't care enough about it to debate it much. Besides, who am I to tell Shigeru Miyamoto what games can be classified as?

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Intrepid

12. Posted:

Video games are not art? Apparently he's never played Okami.

Support the localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2!
My Zeldaloggery
Diehard Accel World fan! Check it out here.
“Incarnation isn’t about desire! It’s about hope!” – Haruyuki Arita

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

13. Posted:

Miyamoto is not the only person in the industry, and as amazing as he is, he doesn't get to speak for the entire industry. There are people of there makin legitimate interactive art games.

Also Miyamoto's work is art whether he wants it to be or not. The creator doesn't get to decide if his work is art. Society does. Miyamoto's games are exhibited in game art exhibitions all over the world.

Mario is art.

I do suspect what Miyamoto's is refering to here is INTENTION. Certainly in big budget games there has always been the intention to make a produc that makes money. But the same is true about blockbuster Hollywood. Anyone think that films can't be art because of Hollywood?

A surprisingly short sighted argument from the great man. He was either misquoted or quoted out of context, surely.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Raylax

14. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Miyamoto is not the only person in the industry, and as amazing as he is, he doesn't get to speak for the entire industry. There are people of there makin legitimate interactive art games.

Also Miyamoto's work is art whether he wants it to be or not. The creator doesn't get to decide if his work is art. Society does. Miyamoto's games are exhibited in game art exhibitions all over the world.

Mario is art.

I do suspect what Miyamoto's is refering to here is INTENTION. Certainly in big budget games there has always been the intention to make a produc that makes money. But the same is true about blockbuster Hollywood. Anyone think that films can't be art because of Hollywood?

A surprisingly short sighted argument from the great man. He was either misquoted or quoted out of context, surely.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but that's a bizarre last sentence. Can't we believe that "the great man" is capable of this opinion without it being a misquote / out of context?

Edited on by Raylax

ACNF: Visit Somni! DC: 7000 3442 7110
theblackdragon: ahaha perfect response to that thread, raylax
theblackdragon: eff your other responses, though
theblackdragon: all of them
theblackdragon: in the entire history of ever >:[
theblackdragon: they've all sucked

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

15. Posted:

Raylax wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Miyamoto is not the only person in the industry, and as amazing as he is, he doesn't get to speak for the entire industry. There are people of there makin legitimate interactive art games.

Also Miyamoto's work is art whether he wants it to be or not. The creator doesn't get to decide if his work is art. Society does. Miyamoto's games are exhibited in game art exhibitions all over the world.

Mario is art.

I do suspect what Miyamoto's is refering to here is INTENTION. Certainly in big budget games there has always been the intention to make a produc that makes money. But the same is true about blockbuster Hollywood. Anyone think that films can't be art because of Hollywood?

A surprisingly short sighted argument from the great man. He was either misquoted or quoted out of context, surely.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but that's a bizarre last sentence. Can't we believe that "the great man" is capable of this opinion without it being a misquote / out of context?

I can't believe that Miyamoto would have such a juvenile understanding of the relationship between art and commerce, given the guy's clear intelligence and long experience in the industry.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

16. Posted:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I knew it was either you, Canis, or Waltz who'd make a thread like this.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

I'm not sure if I want to be offended or laugh. I think I'll go with the latter.

As for me, video games being art depends on the game in its entirety.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

17. Posted:

Whoa, Miyamoto said it. Therefore it's true!
Video games are not art.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Birthday_Boy

18. Posted:

I'm sorry, but Miyamoto is becoming a bit irrelevant to Nintendo nowadays.

Past Names: Koops3, Klyo, Whirlpool, Titanics
If you're looking for a good Miiverse profile, do I have one for you!

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter: Kyloctopus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

19. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

CaptainMorpheus wrote:

I knew it was either you, Canis, or Waltz who'd make a thread like this.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

I'm not sure if I want to be offended or laugh. I think I'll go with the latter.

As for me, video games being art depends on the game in its entirety.

I was offended. I can't believe I am in the same "group" as the Mel Gibson dude.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morpheel

20. Posted:

Oh my gosh, a famous human has an opinion.

Though to be honest, from his point of view I can actually understand him. If I were to make a game to sell it, the last thing I would want to consider it is "art". It would be a product, maybe a personal favorite, but not art.

Going around thinking I'm creating art like I'm some sort of genious wouldn't be good for the development of the product or my mind after its release.

If it ends up being a work of art to others, that's another thing.

Edited on by Morpheel

Oops, no username pun.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok