Forums

Topic: September 27, 2014 is the last day Saturday morning cartoons will be aired on broadcast television in America.

Posts 1 to 20 of 28

kkslider5552000

I'm not really surprised. Actually, I'm surprised they were as popular as they were back when I was growing up. We already have lots of "for kids" cartoon-filled channels nowadays, and I think they only existed to be an introduction for anime.

I would be worried if this had happened a few years ago but we have like 4 significant tv channels with hugely popular animated shows (though wtf is Nick doing anymore) from what I understand, so I'm cool with this. But at this same time, I'm not sure "replace animated shows with live action" has been a good idea for anyone ever. It is an idea that truly no one has benefited from,

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

mystman12

Wow, I haven't watched Saturday morning cartoons in forever, but it really is sad to see them go. All those memories of Kirby: Right Back at YA and Sonic X are flooding back... I'd watch tomorrow, but I have no idea what channel they'll be on, not to mention it's Saturday, so I'll probably sleep in too long...

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

JunkosBoobies

Well this sucks. I understand why this is happening though. Nowadays there are several cartoon networks and therefore no need for one entire morning of cartoons. Still sucks though, because of all the shows I used to wake up to on Saturday morning...I'll miss 'em.

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

I remember waking up to watch Kirby, or way back then, to watch the Super Mario Bros. Super Show.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

PrincessSugoi

Saturday morning only cartoons were rendered obsolete when 24 hour animated networks came along and the new era of On Demand/Netflix/Hulu only sealed the coffin. My niece barely even watches live TV, everything she wants to watch is either on Netflix or Demand (she's also been overly fond of my Powerpuff Girls DVD's lately but that's beside the point).

That said, pretty sure this venture will fail miserably just like it did when Cartoon Network tried it and they'll come back in a year with the "Saturday morning cartoons have returned" promo gimmick or something along those lines.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

3dcaleb

damn i just started watching and really getting into dragon ball z kai about a month ago and now its stopping? sucks. i guess i will maybe just start from the beginning online somewhere and see them all from the beginning. that might be cool i guess.

playing mostly - fantasy life, sword art online: hollow fragment, pokemon x&y, solatorobo, freedom wars, dragon ball z battle of z, futuridium. just got & about to play soon - shin megami tensei IV, one piece romance dawn & unlimited world red, muramasa rebirth, gundam seed battle ...

3DS Friend Code: 1590-4913-8635 | Nintendo Network ID: 3DCALEB

RR529

I'm not surprised, but that doesn't make this any less sad. Trying to wake up as early as I could to watch Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Static Shock, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Disney's House of Mouse, and more on saturay mornings were a big part of my childhood, and it's sad knowing no more kids will get to experience cartoons in this particular format.

3dcaleb wrote:

damn i just started watching and really getting into dragon ball z kai about a month ago and now its stopping? sucks. i guess i will maybe just start from the beginning online somewhere and see them all from the beginning. that might be cool i guess.

I don't know how late you stay up (or how old you are), but Adult Swim is going to start airing the "Uncut" version of DBZKai sometime within the next couple months on their Toonami block, Saturday nights (I don't think they've announced a firm date yet, though).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm not really surprised. Actually, I'm surprised they were as popular as they were back when I was growing up. We already have lots of "for kids" cartoon-filled channels nowadays, and I think they only existed to be an introduction for anime.

I would be worried if this had happened a few years ago but we have like 4 significant tv channels with hugely popular animated shows (though wtf is Nick doing anymore) from what I understand, so I'm cool with this. But at this same time, I'm not sure "replace animated shows with live action" has been a good idea for anyone ever. It is an idea that truly no one has benefited from,

Problem is, dramatic animation has become ONLY for kids. More than ever before. Great shows kids and adults could enjoy like Batman TAS, Jackie Chan Adventures, Teen Titans, and Spectacular Spider-man no longer exist.

Now we have trash like "Hulk Agents of SMASH" and "Teen Titans Go!" Sure, there is decent comedy like Regular Show and Phineas and Ferb, but that's about it.

Help us Star Wars: Rebels, you're our only hope!

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

I partially disagree with that. Most of the shows you mention are half-serious at best usually. Adventure Time has more adult jokes sometimes than you can shake a Rocko's Modern Life at, and a lot of the cartoons apparently have been doing more of the "comedic show with slowly unexpectedly appearing depth" type of thing, which I honestly approve of.

But I do agree that that is the type of thing that causes me to focus on anime nowadays. "You want an animated series that isn't wacky comedy? **** YOU!" Not to mention the blatant sexism that I believe screwed over Young Justice. Awful awful awful awful, not fun, goes back to reading Soul Eater

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

Meh. Personally, I think cartoons started losing steam after Avatar: The Last Airbender, the first set of Yu-Gi-Oh! characters, Spongebob, etc. shows around that time. The shows either lost what made them great, or it destroyed the competition. Netflix and Hulu played a part in that, too, because don't have to go watch at any particular time, but that made it less appealing for me, honestly. It just doesn't seem all that exciting to watch something whenever you want, instead of waiting for a specific time to watch the TV, but maybe that's just me.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Dreamz

It's not just Saturday morning cartoons; traditional TV in general will be going the way of the dodo in the next few years. The Pandoras' Box of On-Demand has been opened, and people are very quickly moving away from traditional broadcast. The only thing that is likely to weather the storm are news channels and sports programs.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

k8sMum

Loony toons, Tom & Jerry...those were Saturday morning cartoons. Bugs, Daffy, Elmer...anvils falling on heads, coyotes running off cliffs and defying gravity for a couple seconds before plunging into cacti...those were Saturday morning cartoons.

Now, all you kids get off my lawn!!!

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

LzWinky

They were still a thing?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Um, isn't this just one channel stopping Saturday morning cartoons? Or did Cartoon Network and Nickalodeon stop this too without my notice?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NintendoFan64

I'm not gonna lie...this doesn't really affect me. I mean, it's sad to see them go, but if I wanted to see a cartoon I could probably just watch it on Netflix or Hulu. Plus, cartoons are REALLY starting to become less and less entertaining. But I'll always have my memories of watching Spongebob and old Cartoon Network shows like Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, and Courage the Cowardly Dog...come to think of it, I think all of those shows are Netflix.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred wrote:

Um, isn't this just one channel stopping Saturday morning cartoons? Or did Cartoon Network and Nickalodeon stop this too without my notice?

This is a serious question. I don't have a TV Guide this week (The one time I actually need it, the post failed to deliver it...) so I have no idea...

EDIT: Okay, yeah, according to Wikipedia, Cartoon Network and Nickalodeon don't count because...they need their opinions to be validated. Yup, doesn't matter that they still have Saturday morning cartoon blocks, there's still no more Saturday morning cartoons because that's what the internet wants to believe.

Also, apparently the U.S. government mandated major networks to brain wash our youth air educational programming during saturday mornings, because kids' lives don't revolve around publicly mandated education enough apparently...I mean lord knows if they go even two minutes without being told what to think, they might actually think for themselves...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Kyloctopus

I'm an early 2000s kid, and while I can't say this strikes me at the heart it does leave me a bit sad.
There were a few Saturday morning programs that played a small role in my childhood.
ABC Kids, which was basically Disney cartoons like Recess and The Replacements.
CBS' crossover with Nickelodeon, which played the more respected Nicktoons back when Nick was well respected
4Kids Which was my fondest, due to SonicX, Kirby Right Back at Ya and Yu-Gi-Oh (the original series)
But like I said before, they were small roles. I still spent most of my Saturday mornings on my Gamecube.

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.