General Discussion Forum

Topic: Rumour: Nintendo Looking to Terminate Lets Plays?

Showing 21 to 34 of 34

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

21. Posted:

I'd think the potential recognition and profits gained for Ninty from LP's would outweigh any losses, but I really don't know the statistics, so whatever. No great loss on my part.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

22. Posted:

Man, and I was thinking of starting an LP channel sometime in the future. Oh well, if this is true, then at least it happened BEFORE I spent all the cash needed to buy the proper equipment... :p

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Midnight3DS

23. Posted:

Jaz007 wrote:

I'm curious as to how Nintendo could enforce this, are there any legal grounds for them to force people to obey this?

I'm not sure, and don't take this as fact. The loose understanding I have of the legality of youtubing a playthrough, LP, etc.. is that with someone actually controling the gameplay, moving a character around, etc... it's fair game. I have heard this from a couple sources, and it may very well be baloney. Maybe that's why it has been allowed to go on, or maybe companies see it as free publicity? I don't know. I know of cases where publishers/developers don't approve of pre street date LPs, but give their blessing at/post street date game launch.

But then there's the music in games cases, where videos can be pulled or silenced via a copyright holder's request. In general, I think therre are a lot of unknowns in this area.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

24. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Um...people don't make money from Let's Plays...

Um, I watch people who've made it very, very clear they make a legit living out of them...so yeah...they kinda do.

Now my opinion on this depends on how this affects them. If this is just randomly having their own ads and that's it, fine whatever, and they can probably legally do that. But, if otherwise...I might have to break my own rule about not having an opinion on Nintendo's current decisions until E3...

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

25. Posted:

Let's Plays are like a disease. I can't search a game on Youtube without getting a hundred Let's Play videos before I get any real content that actually took some thought to make.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

26. Posted:

Lan wrote:

Let's Plays are like a disease. I can't search a game on Youtube without getting a hundred Let's Play videos before I get any real content that actually took some thought to make.

So that means it's exactly the same as the rest of youtube?

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

27. Posted:

Nintendo Says they're not blocking Youtubers, but adding their own ads to them. So yeah, nothing's lost.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

28. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Lan wrote:

Let's Plays are like a disease. I can't search a game on Youtube without getting a hundred Let's Play videos before I get any real content that actually took some thought to make.

So that means it's exactly the same as the rest of youtube?

If the only content you've seen on Youtube is stuff like that, I'm sorry.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

29. Posted:

Lan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Lan wrote:

Let's Plays are like a disease. I can't search a game on Youtube without getting a hundred Let's Play videos before I get any real content that actually took some thought to make.

So that means it's exactly the same as the rest of youtube?

If the only content you've seen on Youtube is stuff like that, I'm sorry.

Yes, because youtube is known for such high-brow content. Now excuse me while I watch cat videos and 5,000,000 Weird Al or Egoraptor knock-offs.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bulbousaur

30. Posted:

To anyone who thinks what Nintendo is doing with this is good
All this is doing is hurting Nintendo. The negatives of their actions far outweigh the positives.

If you don't like Let's Plays, or actively dislike them, fine, I don't care. But there is a large amount of people who do.

Edited on by Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yanchamaru

31. Posted:

Use AdBlock if you want to get rid of all Youtube video ads.

Yanchamaru

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

32. Posted:

Bulby wrote:

To anyone who thinks what Nintendo is doing with this is good
All this is doing is hurting Nintendo. The negatives of their actions far outweigh the positives.

If you don't like Let's Plays, or actively dislike them, fine, I don't care. But there is a large amount of people who do.

As I said in the post, not really. Their games already sell and don't even need these videos.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

33. Posted:

Oh, now people can't make money off of playing games so others can watch them and feel like they actually have friends. Boo-hoo.

Yanchamaru wrote:

Use AdBlock if you want to get rid of all Youtube video ads.

I've been doing that for so long, I forgot Youtube even has ads.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

34. Posted:

here, everyone relax...

Untitled
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)