Forums

Topic: RPGs

Posts 21 to 40 of 40

StarBoy91

There's another FoxTrot reader?? I thought the strip was good, but Jason is way too annoying to his sister Paige. Especially during that one weekly one from 1991/1992 when he was "playing" D&D with his sister when it was raining outside. Jason's a terror, imo.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Percentful

@starboy what are you talking about? Jason is awesome! I love the one where he gets his sis to play with him. He was certainly correct when he said there were a lot of rules-I looked up the rules on wikipedia. Once I saw the length, I opted for Rythym Heaven instead. I have never met another FoxTrot reader in my life, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one. It's sort of stereotyping that little brothers annoy their big sisters, but I think it's hilarious some of the arguments and insults they call eachother. For instance,
Paige: I hate mondays.
Peter: That's garfield's line
Jason: Paige often confuses herself with other fat hairy animals"
lol
@TBD ... ok....someone didn't do their research! [actually, I still don't know the rules or have ever played D&D, and I never want to]
BTW I have every FoxTrot book except for 2. It's tied with Calvin and Hobbes [I have all of their books except 1] for my favorite comic [even though those 2 are the only comics I read.]

Edited on by Percentful

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

StarBoy91

Well, to each his own.
I have every FoxTrot collection treasury except for Bill Amend's new one.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Percentful

@starboy lucky! I can't find the remaining 2 books I'm missing-my local bookstores don't have much selection in comics.

Just let it happen.

JayArr

RPGs is good. I like them RPGs. I'm the goodest at RPGs. RPGs is my freinds!

come back Lakitu64 we miss you

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

Mabbit

this is how i specify an RPG:
1. do you level up?
2. is there a list of stats that no one cares about?
3. does your character have ridiculous hair?
(mostly the 3rd one)

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Noire

JayArr wrote:

come back Lakitu64 we miss you

Yes we do. I really did enjoy reading his posts, they were unlike anything ever seen on this forum before or since.

The good ones always leave too soon...

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Percentful

@PS/JR he left? I never knew he left!

Just let it happen.

Mabbit

110electropercent wrote:

@PS/JR he left? I never knew he left!

didnt he leave in like...September?
how could you not notice that!?

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Rensch

To me an RPG is a game wherein the player levels up his or her character(s) or the abilities of said charcter(s) to make them more powerful, either through tur-based battles (Pokemon, Final Fantasy etc.) or by action-oriented gameplay (Kingdom Hearts).

For those people who say Zelda is an action RPG, I do not agree as there is not leveling involved in most Zelda games. The only one that could be seen as an action RPG is Adventure of Link, the second one for the NES, as there is some basic ability levelling involved.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

grenworthshero

Rensch wrote:

To me an RPG is a game wherein the player levels up his or her character(s) or the abilities of said charcter(s) to make them more powerful, either through tur-based battles (Pokemon, Final Fantasy etc.) or by action-oriented gameplay (Kingdom Hearts).

For those people who say Zelda is an action RPG, I do not agree as there is not leveling involved in most Zelda games. The only one that could be seen as an action RPG is Adventure of Link, the second one for the NES, as there is some basic ability levelling involved.

What he said.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Percentful

@briunj I dunno, maybe I just assumed that he was posting on things I never looked at...
or maybe i'm just stupid in that way.

Just let it happen.

StarBoy91

The only Zelda game I played that involved leveling up was Zelda II: The Adventures of Link. But, I understand now that Zelda isn't really an RPG series, just an adventure game series.

To each their own

Percentful

I never considered Zelda an RPG. It was always an adventure game to me.

Just let it happen.

hobbes

The definition of an RPG varies depending on who you talk to. I personally view RPG's as games where the player can make significant choices that effect the outcome of the story or what actually happens in the game. Most games that fit this description fall into the WRPG category as it is heavily based off the pen and paper roots of the genre where a good dm will alter the story of the campaign based on the players actions. While a video game is more limited since everything has to be scripted, different outcomes can still be scripted in based on key decisions.

I don't really view jRPGs as true RPGs since the stories are very linear and you can't really change them... The RPG tag is often applied because they use a stat and level up system developed by pen and paper RPGs.

Well that's my take on RPGs anyway... I know most people don't view them like that...

http://www.backloggery.com/hobbes543

Percentful

@hobbes I always considered an RPG a game where you took turns attacking. Everyone does have a different take on it.
BTW Hobbes is awesome [so is Calvin].

Just let it happen.

NotEnoughGolds

Well there are some RPG elements in the Zelda series:
1. You permanently increase your life (heart containers) as you move through the game.
2. You permanently increase your attack (i.e. a better sword) as you move through the game.
3. You permanently increase your defense (magic shield, blue/red ring, fairy defense) as you move through the game.
These basic 3 elements are the fundamentals of any RPG.
The only real difference is that in Zelda, you can only increase your HP/ATK/DEF by adventuring and acquiring items.
In other RPGs you can usually boost these stats just by repeatedly killing enemies (an EXP system).
Also a lot of RPGs have items (swords, shields, armor) in addition to increasing your base stats that you gain through XP.

And of course, "true" RPGs focus a lot more on story, character development, and character interactions, than Zelda.

Personally I don't really care if people want to call Zelda an Action-RPG or an Action-Adventure. Calling it either is certainly justifiable. Besides, I don't think Zelda needs to fall into a genre. Come on, it's Zelda. That's all you need to know.

NotEnoughGolds

Percentful

@NEG I don't really consider getting better weapons leveling up attack. In other games, you find better weapons that you can keep permanately if you want, but that isn't leveling up attack. I really consider it more of collecting power ups than leveling up stats. In halo, overshields can raise your health [technically shields] and certain weapons are stronger, but it's not even close to an RPG. My main point is, you aren't leveling up or increasing stats in Zelda games-you are collecting better items/upgrades/whatever you want to call them.
In the end, who cares if it's an RPG or not? It's a fun game, and that's what matters.

Just let it happen.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.