Forums

Topic: Question of the Day II: #511: What 2014 release are you looking most forward too?

Posts 521 to 540 of 1,620

AlexSays

I captained that ship back in the day

Why do you think they haven't found life on Mars? I got there first : |

AlexSays

RevolverLink

I think there are other intelligent life forms out there, somewhere in the universe, but I don't believe they've ever visited us.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Klimbatize

"I guess I'd say if it is just us...seems like an awful waste of space."

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

RR529

There probably is. Will we ever make contact with them? Probably not in our lifetime.

Either they're not advanced enough to reach us, or are so advanced we don't interest them (well, they might study us, but we'd never know it).

If they are advanced, lets just hope they're liberals, who won't want to damage the frail ecosystem of the human habitat

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DreamyViridi

There might be. Perhaps they're just too far away; in another universe and all that.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Midnight3DS

I have a bunker prepared for the inevitable harvest invasion.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

ThePirateCaptain

I don't believe that there are aliens or any other such beings living out there in the universe. I have a hard time believing that there are even intelligent beings on Earth sometimes.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

DreamyViridi

CapnPancakes wrote:

I have a hard time believing that there are even intelligent beings on Earth sometimes.

Wait, they are intelligent beings here?
I was thinking of saying the same thing...

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Klimbatize

So sad to see so many people calling themselves stupid in this thread.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

AlexSays

Klimbatize wrote:

Well I'm doing so because I realize how close we are to other less intelligent species and the possibilities that lie out there. Others are doing so for comedic purposes. We're what, 97% the same as gorillas? The difference between us and gorillas could easily exist between us and a more intelligent species.

We like to think of ourselves as being super intelligent, but we've only been 'civilized' for a few thousand years, if that. What about another planet that began supporting 'intelligent life' ten thousand years (absolutely nothing in space time) before us? They likely couldn't even communicate with us, much less think of us as intelligent. It would be like us trying to communicate with neanderthals. They'd think we were wild animals.

AlexSays

Klimbatize

AlexSays wrote:

Klimbatize wrote:

Well I'm doing so because I realize how close we are to other less intelligent species and the possibilities that lie out there. Others are doing so for comedic purposes. We're what, 97% the same as gorillas? The difference between us and gorillas could easily exist between us and a more intelligent species.

We like to think of ourselves as being super intelligent, but we've only been 'civilized' for a few thousand years, if that. What about another planet that began supporting 'intelligent life' ten thousand years (absolutely nothing in space time) before us? They likely couldn't even communicate with us, much less think of us as intelligent. It would be like us trying to communicate with neanderthals. They'd think we were wild animals.

Yeah, that's great and everything (and pretty much what anyone who has given this topic any real thought has also concluded), but it's also missing the point. When scientists use the term "intelligent life", they aren't using it to describe super geniuses, or even morons. When they ask "Is there intelligent life out there?" they are asking if there are other creatures out in the universe that can do things like make decisions. Yes, hardy har har, even if those decisions are stupid, like all buying a Wii U. Other animals on this planet are examples of intelligent life, even if they are not as "intelligent" as homo sapiens. I don't think people understand the term, that's all.

So with that said, and the proper definition in mind, I merely commented on the amusing joke so many people made--that they don't even consider themselves "intelligent life".

Edited on by Klimbatize

Jani-Koblaney

It's possible, I suppose. Also, why does everyone automatically assume that aliens are always smarter than us? For all we know it could be the opposite..

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

FriedSquid

I think it's very possible. Not to mention the things others have said here, like the universe being so big that there is at least a small chance of there being life somewhere else. And there are definitely places where life can develop, like that one moon that might have water underneath its icy surface. Basically, the chances of it may be extremely slim, considering just how rare a place like Earth is, but it's not impossible, and is worth believing in that possibility. So, yes.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Tasuki

Ok sorry for missing a day but I overslept this morning and to follow that up I had a crazy day at work so ummm yeah. So this will probably be today's and tomorrow's question since how late I am posting it.

Question# 452: If you could be part of your favorite book which one would it be and why?

What i mean by be part of is live in that world interact with the characters etc.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Captain_Toad

Tails of the Bronx
Probably because the characters were pretty-intersting and the Bronx had a lot of interesting places.
(I gotta read some more books.)

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

RR529

Fodor's Japan, a book showcasing every single aspect of Japan a tourist could possibly imagine, and then some.

It would certainly be more fun than visiting my favorite fantasy or war novel, where I'd be likely to be eaten by a dragon, or shot...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RevolverLink

Is it a cop out if I say that I wouldn't want to live in my favorite book(s)? A Song of Ice and Fire (the series of novels that Game of Thrones is based on) is endlessly fascinating and complex, but the meticulously detailed world George RR Martin has created is a pretty harsh and miserable one most of the time, even for most of the nobles.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Snagrio

Kind of a loophole, but I'd pick the Brawl in the Family book. Oh the fun I'd have with Pit's Intensity Cauldron...

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.