General Discussion Forum

Topic: Question of the Day

Showing 7,621 to 7,640 of 8,619

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

7,621. Posted:

Nobody buys CDs anymore. No one wants to pay $15 plus tax for an album just so they can listen to one hit single. Everyone is much happier paying $1 for each song they actually want. 13 years ago some people were claiming if consumers started paying less for music it would destroy the industry. Well here we are over a decade later and the music industry is still alive and kicking.

Now people are claiming low priced digital games will destroy the gaming industry. I don't believe that for a second.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

rayword45

7,622. Posted:

@Gamesake Well, actually, music sales aren't quite as prosperous with the advent of digital distribution, and CDs still take the lead in sales but don't sell nearly as much.

Here's the catch, if you wanna buy an album from a slightly lesser-known artist (say, not quite major label), stay away from stores and go directly to the label website. Buy from there.

Here's a plea from Benn Jordan (The Flashbulb). It's old but still relevant. http://www.alphabasic.com/Please_read.html

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

OrdonianLink

7,623. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

Nobody buys CDs anymore. No one wants to pay $15 plus tax for an album just so they can listen to one hit single. Everyone is much happier paying $1 for each song they actually want.

I buy CD's still, but difference is I usually spend $15 for all the songs and not just 1.

Formerly PurpleLink, RedLink & Link977
Getting a Gold Mushroom on Rainbow Road is just asking to lose!
Backloggery
Question of the Day
Where the NL Chat was born... kinda

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836

♪All Those Years Ago♪

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836 | Nintendo Network ID: Flamingbird

AuthorMessage

rayword45

7,624. Posted:

^What albums are you listening to that have no filler songs? Some crazy quality control there to be honest unless you're waiting years in between. Even my favorite album of all time (Electric Ladyland) has at least one filler track.

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

7,625. Posted:

Streaming / YouTube

Hardly ideal but it gets the job done.
No shortage of uncredited electronic music.

Edited on by OptometristLime

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

7,626. Posted:

Little of this, little of that. Depends on what band it is, usually.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Jaz007

7,627. Posted:

I don't buy much music (I've never bought a song that didn't come from Linkin Park it Fort Minor) but If I just want one or two songs I use iTunes. I buy a CD if LP releasing an album that's clean since I can transfer the music from the cd to all of devices and I like my physical Stuff. So CD mostly if its an album that won't be too hard to get as a CD. Otherwise I just buy from iTunes.

Currently playing: Rune Factory 4, Batman: Arkham Origins (new game plus), Valkria Chronicles, and Uncharted 2.

AuthorMessage

Wildvine53

7,628. Posted:

I prefer cds, just picked up Kacey Musgraves and Justin Timberlake's new releases today. The only time I buy digital is when amazon has those crazy awesome mp3 sales.

"If I've learned anything from video games, it's that encountering enemies means you're headed in the right direction."
“Our differences are only skin deep, but our sames go down to the bone.”
Eyeliner, +500 against haters y'all
Credit for my awesome Avatar!

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9589-2016 | Nintendo Network ID: Wildvine53

AuthorMessage

WildMan

7,629. Posted:

I either download it on my phone or listen to it online. CD's are too much of a hassle..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage

Void

7,630. Posted:

Generally, the only times I listen to music is when it's in a video game I'm playing or in a movie I'm watching.
Other than that, it's probably christmas music being played from an (Specificly, my sister's) iPod. :P

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

AuthorMessage

WesCash

7,631. Posted:

Link977 wrote:

Gamesake wrote:

Nobody buys CDs anymore. No one wants to pay $15 plus tax for an album just so they can listen to one hit single. Everyone is much happier paying $1 for each song they actually want.

I buy CD's still, but difference is I usually spend $15 for all the songs and not just 1.

Same here. I buy tons of CDs and I can always appreciate albums as an entire experience. And "filler" songs are not necessarily a bad thing. A great band or musician can produce an album with equally great filler songs. Many of my favorite songs of all time have never had any radio play. And I'm not even talking about obscure indie bands or anything. Sometimes I wish I were a DJ on the radio so I could play all of the overlooked and underrated tracks. That's one reason that satellite radio is so good; you get to here a lot of rare tracks and b-sides.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

AuthorMessage

rayword45

7,632. Posted:

By filler tracks, I meant actual filler tracks. Not B-Sides or even general non-single songs.

I'd argue these would qualify as only filler, and saying otherwise is really sketchy/pretentious in my opinion

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

WesCash

7,633. Posted:

@rayword
Ah okay, I see what you are talking about now. Still, I wouldn't say a majority of albums have that type of filler song or segue. And even for albums that do, that's still only like 1 or maybe 2 songs out of 10-15. There are plenty of albums I own where I can honestly say that every track is enjoyable. And I'm not a pretentious music hipster or anything of the sort.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

AuthorMessage

Birdman

7,634. Posted:

A mix. I tend to buy individual songs on iTunes, but I get a lot of my music through free (legal) downloads I find through blogs, along with free samplers (I'm working though NPR's massive SXSW one atm), and I also request albums (in the form of CDs) through my library system for a bunch of albums.

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

7,635. Posted:

Digital downloads. I've never bought a CD in my life and I have so much music on my IPod now that I don't listen to much music on Youtube anymore. I've also never used a streaming service.

Edited on by cheetahman91

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

bezerker99

7,636. Posted:

I used to buy music through iTunes but then my computer crashed so I don't do that anymore.

I get lots of free CDs from the radio stations I work for. But lately, haven't seen much new music. :(

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My name in a game!!!
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

7,637. Posted:

I download my music and use a combination of Xbox music and Google music.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Emaan

7,638. Posted:

I usually just listen to it via online streaming, or buy CDs.

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage

CM30

7,639. Posted:

I generally don't listen to music. Nor do I really download or buy it.

Nintendo 3DS Community aka my website
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4189

AuthorMessage

FonistofCruxis

7,640. Posted:

I just use youtube most of the time but I occasionally buy CDs.

Neilloggery

Sorry, this topic has been locked.