Forums

Topic: Pokemon White 2/ Black 2

Posts 321 to 340 of 2,123

Rensch

It makes it a bit easier to understand, but you will probably get it. Note that being unable to read Japanese, I wasn't able to figure out exactly what was going on myself. The only reason I understood some of it was because I played the first game in English. I'm pretty sure you won't have much trouble figuring everything out when the game becomes available in English.

You might as well play both pairs of games, as both are great games in their own right.

Edited on by Rensch

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Rensch

Decided to bump this thread for my final imressions:

I played through the game extensively for the past two weeks and I'm pretty confident I can now give a decent verdict on this game. So should you pick it up?

That depends mostly on two things: wether or not you are a fan of the series and wether or not you've played Black/White 1. If you are a fan that enjoys the series, you'll probably wanna pick this up. For everyone else? You might wanna skip this game unless you've not played the first game.

While playing through the main quest you'll find that it is indeed a sequel and less of a 'third' version, which I really like. There's almost twice as many Pokémon in the Unova Pokédex, with old favourites like Tyranitar, Lucario and Psyduck being added. There are new cities, routes and caves and over 90% of the old Unova's locations make a return in some way or form, making it both familiar and fresh for fans.

That's all fine and cool until you play through the main quest. That's when the new storyline is pretty much over and the game doesn't leave too much to distinguish itself from its predecessor. The problem is that after finishing the fresh new storyline, it feels like the game reverts to the old 'third' version idea. Because the game differs mostly in its storyline rather than its setting, people who have played Black/White last year are gonna find the longevity of the game is decreased drastically if they do not want to redo all the old side-quests that return in Black/White 2. Only the fans will be bothered to buy the game to see and do all of the new stuff.

So yeah, at first it feels fresh, but after playing through the main quest, you're pretty much left with a slightly bigger version of last year's game.

Oh and WHY ON EARTH do those annoying Pokémon breeders want to rebattle you each time you go into a building. It's annoying because there's usually no way around them. It's a minor gripe but WTH were these developers thinking?

Drawdler

Sigh... Pokemon's postgame after HGSS has been botched badly. What, oh what, are they thinking of constantly removing favorite features to make the games WORSE each time?

Anyway, Achroma is going to be called Corless XD

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

Rensch

In that regard, Black2/White2 still has pretty much everything the original did. But yeah, still no Battle Frontier or Safari Zone.

Drawdler

I mean every generation, not game. Pretty much the only mechanics that have stayed and don't affect Pokemon themselves are breeding, which has become a staple, and contests/frontier from Gen 3 to 4. >>; Honestly have no idea why the BF had to go. From what I hear the WT isn't as good.

Rensch

Well, there is the new Black City and White Forest, which seem to be a little bit like the Trainer Tower from FireRed/LeafGreen from what I understand. I haven't tried it myself to be honest. Apperently there's something I need to do in order to be able to participate but I'm not sure what. You can get both areas via some link option as well, which is cool. The trainers from Black and the wild pokémon from White are absent, though.

e-love

I'm disappointed that we get no Battle Frontier or Safari Zone, very much a missed opportunity. That seemed like something that was missing in Black + White so I assumed it would be added in to the sequels, guess not.

I still think I'll be getting this though, I just can't miss out on a new Pokemon game!

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

CosmoXY

Isn't the battle subway kind of like a battle frontier? And the dreamworld pretty much replaces the need for a safari zone by making dozens, if not hundreds, of different species available. Although the one a day limit in the dreamworld is a downer.

Edited on by CosmoXY

Cosmo 1547-5360-6061
Rock Safari - Dwebble, Pupitar & Barbaracle

e-love

I would compare the Battle Subway to what the Battle Tower was. I always looked at them differently.

Retro_on_theGo

Cosmo810 wrote:

Isn't the battle subway kind of like a battle frontier? And the dreamworld pretty much replaces the need for a safari zone by making dozens, if not hundreds, of different species available. Although the one a day limit in the dreamworld is a downer.

Yeah, but connecting to the dreamworlds is a pain. Plus you have to have a computer. It'd just be more convenient to have a safari zone. Or the dream world accessible through the actual game.

Rensch

Cosmo810 wrote:

Not a full Battle Frontier. It obviously is the Unova equivalent of the Battle Tower, but there's nothing like say, the Battle Factory or Battle Castle in Black/White nor in Black/White 2.

Ecto-1

Shame to hear that they didn't take the opportunity to vastly improve the postgame content. Oh, well, I'll still buy it just because I enjoy playing through these games. Thanks for the impressions!

Boo! I'm a ghost.
Check out my Rytmik songs on Youtube
Colors 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3566-1553-9977 | Nintendo Network ID: ECTO-1989

Drawdler

Looks like HGSS are still best games.

The Battle Subway is boring to play IMO. The teams aren't as good as Frontier and it lacks the different challenge zones.

As many have said Dream World would be fine, but it's such a fuss you need Internet and everything for it. I never connected to it for that. Pokemon.com asks for two emails if you're a kid also but I only have one to use, and I always like putting my real birthday in.

Eel

Why would they take out a functional, entertraining and completely optional battling facility on the sequels?

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Drawdler

Because the Battle Frontier is OVER 9000!% better.

Edited on by Drawdler

Rensch

@Nibelitt HG/SS is by far the best one.

@Retro_on_theGo It is. That would have been fine if it were part of a bigger Battle Frontier-like situation.

Eel

Nibelilt wrote:

Because the Battle Frontier is OVER 9000!% better.

Even then, if they had included a battle frontier, they wouldn't remove the battle subway, they would have simply incorporated it into the battle frontier like they did with D/P's battle tower.

Also, HG/SS's battle frontier is a perfect clone of Platinum's, nothing new, nothing added. It is actually quite a small and boring place when compared to the original Battle Frontier from emerald.

And.... You can play many battle frontier-style challanges at the world tournament:

Serebii wrote:

On the left are the standard tournaments. These ones don't have many things special, but do feature a variety of trainers and challenges in order to earn Battle Points.
-Driftveil Tournament - All Pokémon at Level 25
-Rental Tournament - Pokémon are randomly chosen for you, akin to the Battle Factory
-Mix Tournament - All Pokémon at Level 50, can switch a Pokémon with your opponent before combat
-Download - Download teams over the Nintendo WiFi Connection
After completion of those, even more will unlock providing stronger opponents and tougher challenges
-Rental Master - Another rental battle system, but with rarer and stronger Pokémon
-Type Master - Battle with a single type
Each of these is rebattleable at will and offer an increase in Battle Points as you progress.

They aren't wraped in sparkly golden paper and lack "frontier brains", but that doesn't makes them any less interesting than battle frontiers already are.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

e-love

The Battle Frontier in Emerald is by far my favorite one.

Raylax

I have to go with the PtHGSS Frontier, but it's a close one. Emerald's is really, really good but training Pokémon to competitive level in Gen 3 is a HUGE pain, and the difficulty level of the frontier challenge is pretty highly ramped. And whilst there were more challenges in Emerald, I preferred the attractions themselves in PtHGSS - the castle especially was a huge favourite, and the one where you just enter a single Pokémon.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.