Forums

Topic: pixelman's blog

Posts 121 to 137 of 137

retired_account

Yeah, that's a bug, which is fixed now (but not uploaded).

retired_account

Adam

I love the update. Do you need some music for this one, too? I could see it working very well Balloon Fight style where instead of level music you just have really interesting, semi-musical sound effects for movement, with just some brief tunes between levels (and in bonus levels or title screens, if you have any), but in my world, the closer anything is to Balloon Fight, the better. But if you go the tradition route with in-level music, you know who to call.

(Ghostbusters)

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

OldBoy

Great game pixelman. Well done, you really should try making some money from your talent dude. No complaints from me I respect anyone who can make these kinda games and put all that effort into it.Keep going man your ace! .

What's this bit for again?

retired_account

@Adam: Thanks! And this game won't have music or sounds, since loading just a few short sounds nearly triples the already long online load time, and even then Java's sound library plays them sketchily.

@Luigi78: Haha thanks. I expect I'll start charging for my games eventually (since that's what everyone wants, no? ), but until then I'll focus on perfecting my skills and force you to play them for free. Sorry!

retired_account

retired_account

Thanks. I've almost finished the level design, and I'll work on the boss this afternoon.

With luck it'll be finished tonight!

retired_account

Machu

Pixeldude, that was coool! Controls felt really smooth, level deign was good. I look forward to more.

Rawr!

retired_account

@Machu: Thanks, and you ain't seen no level design yet.

Just finished making all of the levels (14 total, and there'll be 15 with the boss). Making the boss now, and then it'll be done!

retired_account

retired_account

@Adam: Here's an in-game screenshot of the game with its new retro look:

Untitled

And of course the level editor:

Untitled

I'm about to add baddies and stuff, and I've come up with some gameplay ideas:

• Zelda-style Hookshot - shoot the hook at ledges/walls/ceilings and reel yourself in towards them.
  • Grenades - throw grenades that can blow up weak walls and such
  • Interactive Elevators - Sort of glorified moving platforms. Some of them automatically move up and down, some of them you can control, and some of them have to be activated.
  • X-Ray vision - lets you see through nearby walls and find hidden passages.

And I'm thinking something like this would be awesome for the soundtrack. (Make sure you listen to the whole thing) I'm playing the game along to it and it feels great.

retired_account

Adam

Now we're talking. Would this hook shot also function similarly to Samus's grapple beam for swinging? Or are you sticking to vines / ropes for that (I think you mentioned that before)?

As for the music, I like it except for the synth strings which sound corny to me. I might bring my keyboard up here tonight and try to record something. I usually leave it in the car between shows because I am too lazy to carry it up and down two flights of stairs whenever I want to play it. So when I actually get to work on this is hard to say.

Come on, friends,

retired_account

The hook-shot won't have swinging. I'm still thinkin' on doing vines/ropes for that, as manual grappling would take some tricky coding that I wouldn't be eager to do. D:

And yeah, the music ain't perfect - I'd definitely like it to sound more 8-bit. But yeah, you're the music guy. And whenever you get to it is alright with me - it'll be a bit before I need it anyway.

And wtf is up with your avatar? Haha.

retired_account

Adam

Haha, Black Dragon posted it and said it was me. I'm just going along with it. Something to do with Half Life?

Come on, friends,

retired_account

@Terranigma: Not really. Adam's going to make me up some on his keyboard some time - I'm just throwing inspiration at him.

@Adam: Ahhh, haha. Wait a sec, I'm investigating.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

Adam

Thanks. I can't wait to share. I have never made game music before, or any electronic music, so this will be quite different for me. I hope I am up to the task.

Come on, friends,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.