Forums

Topic: Pixel Art

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 2,408

Adam

Yea, I definitely look forward to the day when HTML5 has taken over Flash, but for now Flash is where the games are at.

Not that it matters, now that Pix is back on a random drawing spree.

Grumble grumble finish your game already grumble grumble I'm not sure how to do small text grumble grumble I'm kind of tired think I'll go to sleep grumble.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

retired_account

grumble grumble you obviously have neither the intelligence nor wit to quote someone and therefore see how their text is formatted grumble grumble

retired_account

Adam

I have both. And I thought about it. But then I thought about the better things I could do with my time, like refresh the forum instead of going to bed as planned.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

warioswoods

pixelman wrote:

@warioswoods: Ahh cool, so you program? I didn't know that. Do you make games or what? :3

Programming is a considerable part of my unusual career in Institutional Research (it's not worth defining what that means). I do plenty of web development and also work with data integration and various stat packages like SAS. As for making games for fun, I did program in flash / actionscript as a hobby a few years back (and used to program games in BASIC on my Tandy DOS computer back in early elementary school, ha), but otherwise not much.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

retired_account

Ah okay, cool. If you ever feel the urge to make one, you should let me know. :3

retired_account

retired_account

Holy crap. I've been looking at the HTML5 stuff, and it's freaking awesome. JavaScript is not bad at all. I can't wait until all browsers support this - I'm going to be ALL over it.

If anyone's interested, take a look at this platformer. It's not half-bad, though the collisions are rather shoddy.

http://www.watersheep.org/~markh/html_canvas/game.html

(If you want to see the game's source code you can view it by opening the page's source (CTRL+U))

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

bro2dragons

@pix: meh. i'm not impressed. yours is a lot more polished. it looks better, controls sharper. he had a couple nice touches (the weight sensitive platforms), and the sideways character was kinda funny... but overall, his has nothing on your ninjadventure.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

retired_account

@bro: Just sharing it so you guys can see what HTML5/Canvas can do. Obviously it's not a highly-polished game. I'm thinking of doing my monochrome platformer in it.

A better example would be Google's Pac-Man game. It has sound and feels much more polished.

retired_account

bro2dragons

@pix: i wasn't impressed by that, either, honestly. Pac Man felt slow, and at one point, i ran straight through a ghost that should have killed me and nothing happened.

retired_account

Really? Interesting. I expect it'll run slow on some computers, but it's still awesome that you can just open up a text file and script a game without needing to install anything.

Edit: Hahaha, I guess only programmers would understand why that game is cool. Polish is important, of course, but in this case you have to look past the graphics and see that it works. It's a functioning game and proves that it is possible to program a platformer in HTML5.

retired_account

warioswoods

@bro2dragons

Those examples are still simple compared to what will ultimately be possible. As I mentioned, Google ported Quake II into HTML5 for a demonstration.

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

retired_account

@warioswoods: Yeah, I saw that earlier. I'm curious, though, do you know when will all browsers support it?

Edit: Here's a YouTube video of it for you guys:
[youtube:XhMN0wlITLk]

retired_account

warioswoods

@pixelman

That's hard to say; I still have people trying to use IE6 (!) to access modern sites--unbelievably stupid--so, even if the next IE version supports it, along with all the other major browsers (some of which already do), it's hard to say how quickly mainstream sites will start to require it for their content. Still, asking people to upgrade their browser to the latest version before playing a game really isn't any worse than requiring an external Flash plugin, so we'll see what happens.

edhe

I know flip about HTML (and Python, which I've just downloaded) and how you'd program games in it, but am I right in guessing that as opposed to Flash Actionscript, where you can work with your images within the Adobe Flash platform, with HTML, you'd have to recall images from an external source - or bank of images? Offline, I'd imagine you'd store such files in a folder like any other game on your system.

I took a quick look at the HTML source on that game pixelman showed us and noticed a variable tag, so presumably, you are able to compress code into variables, but is it really as intuitive as Actionscript - with the benefit of Flash to draw and manage your objects?

And to justify me posting in a Pixel Art topic, here is a pixel art rendition of my avatar I did a few months ago (on seeing this very topic).
Untitled

I did it in (you guessed it) Flash.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

StarBoy91

That's cool, edhe.

To each their own

retired_account

@edhe: I don't have the fancy Flash IDE (since it's crazy expensive), just the Flex SDK compiler. I draw my images with Gimp and then embed them into the SWF. But yeah, for HTML5 as far as I know you have to load images from an external source, just like an HTML page.

retired_account

bro2dragons

hm. style's still cool. and i like the aliens (they are aliens, right?). not sure about the character, though... kinda hunchback-y, what with the low graphical style... good level design, too, though.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.