Forums

Topic: Pixel Art

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 2,400

Digiki

I played some of the other demoes, but can't get the controls to focus in this one. Any idea of the cause?

retired_account

Click the game screen to focus it. If it's still not focusing, I d'know. :/

retired_account

Percentful

I like the cave area, pixel!

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

retired_account

Alright, in the cave area the frogs turn into horny toads, the birds turn into bats, the boars turn into wolves, and the snakes turn red. Also, damage increases depending on which area you're in. You take twice the damage in the cave and three times the damage in the snow world. This will increase the need to find heart containers!

retired_account

Adam

AWESOME.

Are you going to make it so that you lose any progress between checkpoint and death? And if so, will you be able to reactivate checkpoints? I could see this being abused otherwise, forcing a death to teleport back instead of having to make your way back.

Now that the areas are done, I'll try to get started on music this weekend unless you have someone else doing it (I remember someone or other in chat coming up with a really neat but short tune).

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Percentful

Sweet! It's a lot harder now, especially since you can't jump on the horned toads.

Just let it happen.

3DS Friend Code: 5026-4947-0924 | Nintendo Network ID: Percentful

Adam

Already started writing grass land's tune (very cheerful and upbeat) and cave land's (lots of space, kind of eerie -- going for a mix of Mario's underground theme and a Metroid feel). I suppose that leaves menu music, snow land music, boss music, and a death theme? Anything else?

I still have to figure out how I'm going to record this as a loop. I'm thinking I'll likely have to use a program like you linked me to before so that it loops perfectly, as much as I wish I could just play it live to a mic. I've got friends who are more knowledgeable of this sort of stuff, so I'll figure it out. Maybe not this weekend as planned since it'll be Mother's Day, though I'll at least be able to finish writing them hopefully.

Come on, friends,

StarBoy91

Good job, as usual, pixelsbuddy.

To each their own

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Adam you're making the music? Well for the boss fight of the flying kitten that spits out exploding foil hat wearing monkeys you have to make really epic music! Also isn't Mother's Day on the 16th? Not this weekend?

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

StarBoy91

Actually, SZM, Mother's Day is on the 9th, I believe.

To each their own

retired_account

weirdadam wrote:

Are you going to make it so that you lose any progress between checkpoint and death? And if so, will you be able to reactivate checkpoints? I could see this being abused otherwise, forcing a death to teleport back instead of having to make your way back.

Yes, I'm going to have it store your state when you mark a checkpoint, and if you die it will return you to that state. I'll do that after I finish the bosses and baddies.

weirdadam wrote:

Now that the areas are done, I'll try to get started on music this weekend unless you have someone else doing it (I remember someone or other in chat coming up with a really neat but short tune).

I know MAddogz did a loop but I haven't heard from him in a long time. VGM said something about working on something too. Quite honestly I'd like to hear what all of you guys have. I'm thinking I may fiddle around with MilkyTracker and see if I can make something too. Who knows, I may end up using everything and let the user choose which set of tracks to listen to, haha.

weirdadam wrote:

Already started writing grass land's tune (very cheerful and upbeat) and cave land's (lots of space, kind of eerie -- going for a mix of Mario's underground theme and a Metroid feel). I suppose that leaves menu music, snow land music, boss music, and a death theme? Anything else?

Sounds great. I was wondering if you could give it a faint oriental vibe? If it's too late though, that's fine. :3 And yes, I need everything you mentioned, plus the credits/victory theme.

weirdadam wrote:

I still have to figure out how I'm going to record this as a loop. I'm thinking I'll likely have to use a program like you linked me to before so that it loops perfectly, as much as I wish I could just play it live to a mic. I've got friends who are more knowledgeable of this sort of stuff, so I'll figure it out. Maybe not this weekend as planned since it'll be Mother's Day, though I'll at least be able to finish writing them hopefully.

That's fine, no rush. I still have to finish up the baddies/bosses, add menus, credits, time-attack, high-scores, saving, sound-playing, music-playing... basically I have a lot of polishing to do before I really need music.

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

Adam

I'm sure I'll be busy enough helping with level design, so if you and VGM do work something out, that'd be cool. But didn't VGM "leave"? Or was that VGP? Is there even a VGP here? I find it hard to keep track of acronyms, but I remember someone make a lot of ado about "leaving" the site for some reason I didn't care enough about to find out. I definitely don't want to slack off on music if everyone else who volunteered has disappeared.

As for the oriental vibe... you want that in every level? That might be kind of hard. What about just in grass land or just for the boss? I don't know that I could make every level have that sound and also sound distinct. Not that I'm saying all oriental songs are alike! I'm not song-racist, I assure you. I only doubt my own abilities.

I'm doing the grass land theme in pentatonic, which is I think what most far east sounding songs use, so that might not take much adjusting. I don't know. I rarely plan what a song will sound like but just play around until something sounds good, haha.

Come on, friends,

retired_account

VGP94/VGP/VGM/VGM94 left NintendoLife, but I'm still in touch with him via twitter. Oriental vibes for just the first area (and title screen too, maybe) is fine :3

Something like this, only more chiptune-y, would be awesome. <3

Skip to 1:40. But of course if it's too late, that's fine, like I said. :3

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

Adam

Well, that song gets a lot of its orientalness (orientality?) from the voicing, so I can only hope it'll sound like you expect when done via square waves or whatever you call it. If VGP/VGM is up to task, that's good. I'll still try if I can figure out a good way to record. If worse comes to worse, I could record the keyboard live and leave a short natural-sounding pause at the end of the track rather than attempting a perfectly synced loop.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

retired_account

I haven't really discussed the music with VGM. He just messaged me last night that he was in the process of composing a piece for it. Like I said, I'm probably going to try to make some myself too. We'll see how it turns out. :3

retired_account

retired_account

Okay, added fish and the snowy area's enemies. I'll work on bosses tomorrow. :3

retired_account

Adam

Very nice. Are the fish and water available in the cave tile set, and if so do they change appearance?

Come on, friends,

StarBoy91

Yay!!! pixelsbuddy's old Miner Mishap game!!!
I normally don't like death on spikes, but I could tolerate it a bit in your games.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.