Forums

Topic: PC vs X1X Cost Effectiveness

Posts 161 to 180 of 192

Inertiacreep

@NEStalgia so you're talking about PC upgrades like the expense doesn't give you much over a console thats out for 5 years...

First of all the xbox1x doesn't even have a decent name which totally happens to be representative of what a fail xbox is with no games and you're seemingly hesitant of PC because of the price.

You are going to pay a premium for PC .. it's going to cost you more because you are going to have the best but you don't have a problem buying every console that comes to the market.. PC upgrades are going to keep you on the cutting edge of technology. When a new console comes out you already had better graphics than that 2 years ago.

And mostly it's just the video card and the video card should last years.. but you should buy EVGA or similar that's going to be warrantied if it dies anyways. With technology today you do not need more than a budget midrange card of about $200 to max out games at 1440p.. back 10-15 years ago you really needed the $300-500 card to max games out but these cards are so powerful today.

Once you buy all the speakers, monitors, etc your costs are really just a video card upgrade every couple years and you will always have the highest graphical fidelity in games.

So what do you want? Something amazing? Then get a glossy panel monitor and PC.

Inertiacreep

NEStalgia

I abandoned my own thread! Been planning to get back to it.

I went from 95, 98, to 2k and stayed on 2k through the XP era (it was mostly the same OS and worked great for gaming despite contrary belief until around when Vista launched.) I actually liked Vista, but it had its issues. Fond memories of it and I miss certain interface elements. 7 was certainly more "business oriented." Very solid OS...like a refined Vista with less charm. 8 & 8.1 on a laptop because that's all that would run the hardware It was a step down mostly due to the stupid tile menu.....and then 10 for the same reason. I loathe 10 so horribly. Everything about it is so wrong.

I'm following XBox's sales and freebies....we'll see. Got a bunch of cool PS stuff on the weekend lightning sale which included a number of things X1 had for free over the past year.....as long as the sales are good, maybe X1 is less appealing.

@Inertiacreep Truly I'm less interested in "bleeding edge graphics" than access to discounted 3rd party games. The graphics can't hurt, but I'm so past the bleeding edge PC phase. Too much money, too many headaches. So I'd be going "midrange" anyway.

But a key is: No desk, no keyboard and mouse. Did that for a decade. Great experiences. But...that's not how I want to play these days. So PC is all for Steamlink and Steam/X1 controller. When you sit at a keyboard and mouse all day every day you don't want to go home and do it too!

NEStalgia

shani

@NEStalgia While there might be some truth in what @JohnBlackstar wrote, but it's definitely not as bad/complicated as described.

You can set up a strong gaming PC with less money as well, it just depends where and when you're buying your parts. I assembled my PC (Radeon R9 290, FX-8350, 8GB etc.) in its current state more than three years ago and it's still capable of running everything in 1080p with high or ultra graphics settings. And I paid something between 400-500€ (of course I didn't have to buy new drives).
It all comes down to timing and choosing the hardware that has the best value for money.
If you do that, the life cycle of a gaming PC is basically the same as for a console (or potentially longer by upgrading it).

And don't forget that games on PC are a lot cheaper than on consoles, you can get most games for 10-50% of the console price, I almost never pay more than ~30€ (and often something between 5-20€) - not even for the big AAA games.
So even if you might spend a little more on PC hardware (which in turn provides you with higher performance/graphic fidelity) than on a console, you might end up paying less depending on how many games you will buy in the long run.

I rarely have crashes or need to do some graphic driver update etc., these things happened more often in the past. But nowadays, with Windows 10, Steam etc., ease of use is arguably present in PC gaming as well.

The only times I have to spend time configuring or fixing problems is when I have some special requests, like when I bought a gaming mouse with an analog trigger and wanted to use it for acceleration in GTA V.
But if you just use the software and hardware the way it's meant to be played, without any tweaks or mods - just like you would on a console - there usually aren't any problems (compared to the past), at least not in my experience.
PC gaming has really come a long way and can be just as comfortable and accessible as console gaming.

Btw you don't need to be desk-strapped with something like a Roccat Sova, for example. I have it myself and it's wonderful, for gaming or for just watching/surfing the web on the couch.
And you can use the Steam Controller for any game on your PC (except for FIFA, apparently) if you add that game to Steam (as a non-Steam-game). E.g. I have used it with Overwatch with motion controls. There are even Splatoon-controller-profiles for Overwatch in Steam!
And finally, with Steam Big Picture, it won't even feel like a PC anymore but more like a console. ^^

Also, I don't see how an Xbox adds anything if you already have Playstation. There just aren't many worthwhile exclusives to justify having both IMHO.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

NEStalgia

That rokat thing is cool but that's definitely not where i want to go. No keyboard, no mouse, no lap desk. That's not entertainment, that's productivity told getting in the way of entertainment. Useful, but I've done the makeshift laptop thing with wireless keyboard and gaming laptops with lap desks etc. Nah, if i go pc it had to work headless with just a controller. Lap desks are to uncomfortable. The actual desk is actually more comfy.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Somehow, I imagined that you would say something like that in reply to a lap desk contraption...

Meanwhile, just look at the wonderful deals available through Games with Gold again...
Untitled

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX hmm not a bad list. Better than Sony's this month..... Though not quite enough to convince me to dive into a new console. I envy the elite controller but it seems discontinued... And had reports of severe build quality issues. I'm looking my Razer for ps4. Wired only unfortunately but really nice feel.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Games with Gold is always better than Sony...

EDIT:
Come to think of it, it's actually no joke at all: Games with Gold IS better, for a fact, and not even just because of the games themselves, but more so because of the fact that they remain yours and remain playable, even if your Xbox Live Gold subscription expires. Far as I know, Sony's service for their free games alternative is considerably more limited in comparison.

But all joking aside: as an arcade racing fan, I think that Crazy Taxi and Split Second alone are already worth it this month. Two wonderfully entertaining games.

As for the Elite Controller: I haven't heard anything about that being discontinued, and from what I can gather, it's still quite easily available, although it isn't for me. I don't have any need for a controller with all kinds of weird additional prongs and levers on the backside, let alone one that costs triple of what a standard Xbox One controller costs.

A controller which is now by far my favorite, so the pack-in controller really is more than good enough already.

But here are some links:
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Elite-Wireless-Controller/dp/...
http://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-one-controller-deals-cheap...

Even if you ultimately choose to be a PC gamer once again, the Xbox One controller is still the best controller to have.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

Truthfully the free games on both are hit or miss. PS I think has had some big winners (Deus Ex:MD last month....didn't matter to me, I was a day-one edition buyer for that, but a crazy good freebie, and once they had MGSV:TPP (I missed that ) and one of their big first parties once. I don't see anything THAT good on GwG, but it's rare on Sony too. GwG has more ok ones overall I think, but nothing I'd buy into a system just to collect the freebies. OTOH, Deals with Gold has some AMAZING prices. Way better than Sony's sales, generally, but balanced by the fact far FEWER games go on the sales, while Sony tends to have piles of stuff on sale...but the prices are quite lower on Gold when they line up.

Still can't quite get myself to jump in. Might depend on if Sony wants a CC to sign up for Vue or if they can use my on file PayPal acct. If they want a CC I'm not sure I"m willing to give it to them again since they compromised it last time they had it. Might do YouTubeTV instead.....and then I'd need a Roku or XBox to play it. Trouble is 1S would be WORSE than my PS4 and WAY worse than my Pro so I'd have to step up to the X to make it seem viable.... And the PC junkes have me considering waiting a few months to see how the market shakes out post Bitcoin implosion (Plus with the recent PSN sales...what would I really use the XBox for? PC may be wiser...)

The Elite controller, they haven't said it's discontinued, but it's not displayed prominently, or at all either, and there was a rumor there's a sequel in the works. For now, Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, and even MS Store itself is all "out of stock" (Amazon is 3rd party sellers overcharging right now.) It was regarded as the best controller ever, BUT it had serious build quality issues (the classic stick drift that plagued XBox controllers since the 360) and very thin clips breaking the shoulder buttons despite minimum wear. It might be under redesign. X1 stock controller definitely has the best ergonomics. But I have to say playing PS4 with a Razer controller...the smooth responsiveness of the sticks is AMAZING. It's almost like playing with a mouse. Buttery smooth camera control unlike any console controller I've used. And their OAXN buttons use actual mouse microswitches instead of rubber domes. It's addictive. (D-pad is pure steaming poop in a bag though.) I've heard Elite is even better feeling overall, so yeah, I'm keeping an eye on it either way I go

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia All those titles you mentioned as being a pro for Sony's (semi-)free games initiative, were also on Games with Gold: I've got them all. But that was already several months ago, that these titles were featured, but still: they were also available on Xbox.

So, in short: game offers-wise they're more or less equal, but Microsoft's online is miles better, and the games are TRULY free and not hampered in any way, other than no online play, when you don't have a Gold subscription. And as you yourself also mentioned, there's better deals with Gold as well, in comparison with PSN.

On a side note: I personally think that this shouldn't be a factor in the decision, unless you'd trade in your PS4 Pro for a PC or Xbox One X, which I don't think you were going to do anyway, so then you would actually just have the benefit of BOTH consoles and their respective deals, making it even more interesting for you, AND easier, to get the maximum amount of deals out of all the stuff on offer on both platforms...

And although that's probably not what you're implying, I never suggested you should consider the S, but I'm just saying that because you mentioned it. The only option console-wise, would indeed be the One X. And that console is CONSIDERABLY better than the Pro, so for a console, it would be more future-proof than the Pro, seeing as your TV isn't going to last forever, so eventually, you WILL have that 4K/UHD TV, might even happen within the next 2 years, unless you've bought your current one less than 2 years ago.

Modern screens aren't made to last anymore, so 5-6 years really is the maximum period for them to perform in their optimal state. After that, things will rapidly go downhill. I see it in my own TV as well. Over 6 years old now, Full HD Plasma screen, Panasonic Viera. Blue burnt-in splotches and channel logos, color fades and what not. But it has to last me a bit longer, because right now, I just don't have the extra cash for a new screen...

As for those PSN sales you mentioned: I can't really comment on that, since I obviously don't know what they are, but if it's for Playstation only titles, then you've got a point, otherwise not. I can't imagine that third party publishers would allow for their games to be a lot cheaper on one platform than the other, so in that case, that would be a non-reason to choose PSN over Xbox Live.

I can understand that the decision is a bit more difficult for you, because you already have the PS4, but if you wouldn't have had it, then it would simply be a matter of what exclusives do you like best, because in the case of all these third party offerings, prices are the same, and they simply run and look much better on the One X. Several sites and YouTube channels have done extensive research on that, and the verdict is pretty clear.

Of course, the PC is even better than that, and can be upgraded, something that a console can't do. The flip side of it is that, even if your PC is initially cheaper or similar in price to a console, you will have to keep investing in it every now and then, which ultimately still makes it more expensive, no matter which way people argue. You also explicitly stated multiple times the need/want for convenience, and that to me doesn't say "PC", especially since you also said to have little love for mouse/keyboard gaming. More or less a must on PC, so that's a definite factor.

Another thing about PC's that I've seen nobody mention, is that PC's suffer more from hard drive degradation, because their either switched on more often/longer than consoles, or they also need to run an operating system ALL the time, even while a game is running, so it performs more tasks than a console, which simply goes into game mode, and only switches to the dashboard again if you quit a game, but no OS is running underneath a game, which actually DOES happen on PC.

I can take myself as an example, although in my case it's kind of extreme, since my PC is on 24/7, unless I'm on holiday. I'm either downloading or uploading, and I'm switching out hard drives multiple times a year, but even if you're not like me, then you'd still be replacing hard drives at some point in your PC's live, something that is far, FAR less prevalent in consoles, if ever.

Oh, and that D-Pad on the Xbox One S controller (which is the same on any One controller): absolutely marvelous...

EDIT:
As for those "bigger" own titles on PSN:

Really also not true. You have certainly missed most of them, but they were definitely there.
Here's that list once again:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

On it, literally since day one of the Games with Gold initiative, are Microsoft's own big exclusives, such as Fable III, several Halo games, several Gears of War games, Crackdown, Ryse, Forza Motorsport 5, and Forza Horizon, to name but a few.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Hm, seems I have to correct myself: the free games forever and free games without Xbox Live Gold subscription apparently only counts for Xbox 360 games. For Xbox One titles, it is the same as on PSN, so you can only play them if you have a premium subscription and they won't work without.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Nah, on the Games with Gold chart, that was Deus Ex: Human Revolution (the PS3/X360/WiiU reboot), not Mankind Divided (the much much newer PS4/X1 sequel.) And the Metal Gear was MGSV: Ground Zeroes, not The Phantom Pain. This is a true Konami-ism. Ground Zeroes was effectively a demo in the form of a prologue chapter for TPP, sold at near full price as an actual game. It's kind of sad that both GwG and PS+ gave away a glorified demo as a free game (even though Konami actually did sell it as a real game....which is even more shameful)....but at least Sony eventually followed up with the full actual game

Still despite those few wins for Sony, the rest of Sony's pool is decidedly below average (this month is Rime and Knack......woot?) and MS's is above average overall. But neither is spectacular...I think in both cases the club member sales are probably more valuable than the giveaways, of which MS seems to have better priced sales, and Sony has more products on sale.

But yeah PS's online is....bad....to be polite

Haha, yeah, well I have 3 "TVs" One is the big RP...it's 1st gen 1080p fare.....that thing will fizzle out in a year or so but probably won't be replaced. It's been through 2 lamps and the motor for the color wheel whines at times. Though it technically can be repaired easily enough, parts are still available. The FP is where movie night comes from...also 1080p, but in projection that's still standard. 4k Projection is for the BIG MONEY guys...and that ain't me Gaming is on the pole mount PC monitor. If they come out with a 4k HDR in the 23" weight class with an internal power supply and flush cable connectors, I'm there. So far nobody makes it. Someday..... For now all the love goes to 27"...meh. Mine's made to last (business oriented monitors for enterprise)...unlike TVs the monitors go and go and go (they double as digital signage...), and projectors are easily repairable (though ought to be for THAT price! )

I've never actually owned a "flat screen TV" oddly All projection and PC monitors. What it lacks in elegance it makes up for in sheer scale and durability (and reduced input lag........... )

" even if your PC is initially cheaper or similar in price to a console, you will have to keep investing in it every now and then, which ultimately still makes it more expensive, no matter which way people argue. "

At least SOMEONE is willing to say that! I grow tired of the endless "PC is so much cheaper over time" argument. I want to believe. But logic just doesn't add up that way.

And yeah, don't get me wrong, I love keyboard and mouse for shooters. And I miss RTS games (Halo Wars on XB counts. Pikmin sort of does.) But....I can't see myself going there. Thus why I bought the Steamlink on the deep New Years special. Just in case.

"HDD Degrdation"
That's interesting, but I wonder if it's really a use time issue, or if it's a heat issue (or people buying cheap drives.) Consoles use pretty cheap laptop hard drives. And even with the OS layer suspended, the game itself is still reading off the drive considerably, and writing relatively often. Plus the modern consoles are still doing OS functions behind the scenes (otherwise background downloads wouldn't be a thing. PS4 has a separate ARM SoC for that...not sure about X1 design. But X1 is LITERALLY Win10 behind the scenes, so I can't fathom it's working too differently from a PC under the hood.

All that said back in my PC gaming days most of my friends that never had problems while mine was failing non stop, kept theirs on 24/7....and I turned mine off...shrug

"D-Pad" "XBox" "Marvelous" Can't compute.... (I say this has a huge X360 controller junkie that burned through 5 of them.....it just seems wrong. It's like hearing "wow that Nintendo online service is state of the art!"

GwG: I notice their X360 list is much better looking than their X1 list. Of course that was back when I subscribed and never grabbed the freebies....oh well...

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, my bad on those titles, then. But the big, Microsoft-owned titles ARE there regardless. As for the change in policy going from last gen to this one: apparently, from what I've read on Eurogamer (old article by the way, so I don't know what is up with the apparent goal for Xbox One titles only being "rent for free" so they could supposedly also offer newer titles) Microsoft decided to also do the same as Sony on the Xbox One, because they noticed that publishers gave more recent titles to Sony (imagine my surprise when I just told you that I couldn't imagine such a disparity happening) because of their "rent games" policy being more safe for them, because it's more restricted.

Here's the whole article. Don't worry, it's short:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-14-xbox-ones-games-...

As for the hard drive thing: don't know about Sony, but Xbox literally has three layers/modes: OS, media and game, and each one of them is ONLY activated when needed, so no OS is running while your game is, UNLESS you interrupt your game by pressing the big X button to literally call the OS into action. And consoles are of course WAY closer to the metal than PC's, so the benefit is obviously still there.

The drive in the Xbox One also isn't a cheap one, so don't know where you got that from.
According to the guys at iFixIt, who did a tear down of the console:

"The Xbox One S features a SATA III hard drive — specifically a Seagate Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2 TB 5400 RPM with 32 MB Cache — a slight upgrade over the SATA II drive in the original Xbox One."

In my PC, I use Western Digital Blue desktop HDD's, which are also high quality drives, which are specifically geared towards extensive use, but I still have to swap them out every other year or so. But like I said: my PC is running 24/7, so that's also a factor...

And that D-Pad is indeed quite good. Microsoft or not, I honestly can't say anything different, and I'm actually quite fussy where it concerns button and stick "feel".

As for those Xbox 360 games looking better: that's of course true, since the list is longer and the catalog of games is bigger, but also because you might see a lot of games that you've played and/or liked. And except for the odd Xbox One bombshell, it's actually STILL better, even with the latest releases on Games with Gold. I mean: Split Second, Crazy Taxi HD? Love em and played em to death, both of them.

But not to worry: because of the backward compatibility, 360 games on Xbox One will remain a thing, and they are upscaled, and run better and load faster. They even have a custom splash screen at the beginning (if that's not going to win you over, then I don't know what is, lol)

Yesterday, I even tried some original Xbox titles, such as Black, one of the best FPS'es, back in the day. And it also looked and ran beautifully, image crisp and clean. Regardless of some things they're doing wrong, mostly by copying Sony's behavior, they're also doing a lot right, especially with their online and backward compatibility efforts.

I'd say, take part of the advice and wait a year or so, and then get an Xbox One X at a reduced price. They're $499 now, but next year, they'll probably have their first price reduction, much like the One S has now had. I got the 1TB Forza Horizon 3 bundle for $288, with another extra game of choice for free as well, while only a year before that, it was still $399.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

Interesting about the games! Figures the publishers are involved though I really wonder how it's safer for them if someone can only play the free game while they're giving money to MS/Sony. That brings me back to Nintendo paid online thinking the big publishers are DEFINITELY getting a cut of that and that's half the point.

HDDs: M9T....a 5400RPM laptop spinner. As I said, cheap drive Those little laptop drives in 5400RPM cost less than toilet paper these days. I mean it's not poor quality for what it is, but the whole product class is pretty low tier at this point. (Same for Sony of course.)

I've gone all SSD for productivity machines. Intel and Samsung only for that matter. Can't stand general computing from a spinner anymore. I'm too impatient. Bulk storage I usually run WD Reds or Red Pros in raid, used to use some Seagates.....despite their bad rep they actually lasted me years before a failure.

Custom splash screen? Ohhh, why didn't you say so. (Add X1X to Cart....) Seriously, though I do have a large X360 library, so that's a thing....not sure how much of it I'd go back and play....but I have it. Mostly because PS3 was a dog for 3rd party last gen I wanted to make it work and it just didn't happen.

I don't know who's copying who. PS4 is literally a clone of the X360 ecosystem....Sony copied a lot of what MS did, for better or worse (I personally don't think that's a good thing based on where pre-Phil XBox was going), MS then copies some of Sony, of course....and I realize, like with Switch, Sony didn't really have much ability for backward compat due to the absurd Cell processor. I noticed Sony's copying MS with PS Now, though. It was originally their $10/mo PS3 compatibility solution. Now they're making it more like Game Pass with current(ish) PS4 games too. Of course it's nasty OnLive streaming....so....

One S is now like $200-240 here. They were $180 around Black Friday. But X is still $499 and rarely a penny less. Yeah, thinking of that year wait or so....see where PC is, see where X pricing is....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Is that One S a bundle price or console only? Difference is rather big.

As for the copying: I only meant in regards to the free games initiative. Microsoft copied Sony's policy on that, at least on Xbox One games. I literally just watched a video showing that even on Xbox One, Xbox 360 games that are free to download WILL work with or without Gold, so it's only restricted to Gold for Xbox One games.

Unless you have them on disc, of course.

I can relate to not wanting to play the entire 360 catalog again (got about 200 - 250 games myself, including backward compatible OG Xbox games), but indeed they're there, and once you've installed them, they reap all the benefits from being on a better system, so visuals are cleaner and frame rates are better, making for a better experience for those games that you DO want to play again, or which are just fun to play whenever. For me that's arcade racers, beat em ups and games like Sniper Elite V2.

EDIT:
And another nice thing, (although coming from the Xbox 360, I actually expected it) is that X360 games don't require disc verification, so once installed, no more disc in drive necessary.

P.S.

Just out of curiosity concerning your whole array of display solutions:
Do you play the PS4 Pro on a PC monitor or on a beamer?

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think the $200-230 is console only, but I've seen $215-250 for various bundles listed as discontinued. No idea what the current running bundle is that's not discontinued (assuming there is one, maybe it was a holiday thing.)

Yeah, I'm trying to think of what last gen games other than exclusives I'd be interested in revisiting that don't have an enhanced current gen port. Dragon Age: Origins comes to mind.

Sniper Elite V2. Meh. WiiU was the definitive version

Oh that's cool not requiring the disc for X360...that's.....really shocking actually....that is a neat plus that would encourage playing them! (Seems wrong to buy a $500 console to play 8 year old games.... )

PS4 Pro & Switch are both played on the PC monitor. I've used it on the FP a few times, of course....but I'm too darned nearsighted to enjoy gaming even at 100" that far away. For movies it's fine. 4k projection would be sadly wasted on me

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Most current bundle is the one I got, on the 28th of December: 1TB Xbox One S, Forza Horizon 3 download + Hot Wheels expansion download + free game of choice (choice out of 4 titles, I chose COD WWII).

I do believe that the extra free game (physical copy) was only over here, and a specific offer from a chain of stores over here in the Netherlands, but the Forza Horizon 3 bundle is official from Microsoft themselves, so I suppose you'd be able to verify/compare the price for that.

Playing on the monitor then, aye? How close are you sitting then, or how big is the monitor? I've got a 42" plasma screen, which by today's standards is already considered small, and I'm sitting about 8 - 10 feet away when playing. A monitor would probably be considerably smaller, so that would potentially mean tying yourself to a desk to be able to play in a way that allows you to see everything clearly enough.

And here I was thinking that you wanted that couch gaming option...

As for Sniper Elite V2: I already finished it, but I keep playing the arcade part of it, because I enjoy the X-Ray kill shots...

As for the Wii U version being the best: considering the outraged responses from many a Wii U owner buying that version, I'd beg to differ. It was seriously gimped compared to the other two versions.

Oh, wait: you were joking, weren't you?

And hasn't anyone slightly shady in your circle of friends/family ever told you that wrong is actually so nice that it becomes right again? It's like adult interaction...

And another nice thing about the One's interface is that with every potential download or install, there's also an option to go to the game's own page, and that has all info, screenshots and video clips, that show you how it looks on the One, so you can make up your mind about installing them or not.

Right now, I've installed Commanders: Attack on Genos, Military Madness: Nectaris, Split Second, Sniper Elite V2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Medal of Honor Airborne and The Force Unleashed 1 & 2.

And while I have all the previously collected free games in my Xbox One download list, including all the Xbox 360 titles, you don't have to install all of them. Once you've acquired them through Games with Gold, they remain in your download list, albeit with the previously mentioned exception that Xbox One titles always require you to have a Gold subscription, which thereby takes the whole Games with Gold pretty literally.

But ultimately, chances are, that all these free PS4 & Xbox One downloads will become obsolete once these consoles won't be supported anymore, so you either have a hard disc filled with useless data, or you remove all the "free" stuff so you can install your retail games from a disc, and the free Xbox 360 downloads, which will keep working forever, and work much better than they ever did before on the original hardware, even without Gold...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

shadow-wolf

@NEStalgia @ThanosReXXX I love how both of you are discussing the free games offered on PS Plus and XBL Games with Gold, when later this year we'll see Nintendo enter the fray ... with free NES games! How kind of them to give us 25 year old ROMS for free with the online service!

shadow-wolf

NEStalgia

@shadow-wolf lol, TWO nes games. And we can play then as much as we want to for a whole MONTH! Eat that, Sony!

To be fair Sony and Microsoft are charging 300% more so it doesn't sound as bad that way. And we don't know for sure what Nintendo is really offering yet. For all we know it's the entire vc Netflix style. It maybe pokebank and flat digital discounts or something are included. Or dedicated splatoon servers.

I'm laughing with you but honestly laughter want my reaction when Sony told me they wanted $60 instead of $40 to pay for usually sucky free games. I quite prefer $20 and I'll buy my own darned game with the change.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

shadow-wolf

@NEStalgia Actually Nintendo changed that policy, it was originally like that but they changed it a year ago. Now, when you get the games offered for the month, you keep them until you cancel your subscription. At least that's good, the whole "only keep it for a month" was ridiculous. But because Nintendo thought this was too generous of them, they said that "they are considering whether they should add SNES games for free" as if giving SNES games for free for the duration of a subscription would be too much to ask for.

But you're right, Nintendo could add stuff like Pokebank servers to make it more valuable. We'll see. I do wish Nintendo would add SNES and N64 games as free games per month, that'd make the service seem much more valuable.

shadow-wolf

ThanosReXXX

@shadow-wolf Yeah... that's probably going to be another internet outrage, once it's actually here. Maybe they'll change it before that happens, or after the outrage...

It's the Nintendo Difference. Sometimes NOT for the better...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.