Forums

Topic: Overrated and Underrated games

Posts 101 to 120 of 165

Kevlar44

To those calling OOT overrated i think you are all insane. When the N64 came out it's true it had many limitations compared to today in terms of graphics and size but you have to understand the standards for great game play were not that limited. The previous era of the SNES-Genesis/Mega Drive set the bar for great gameplay with OOT's predecessor being so great in it's own right that it's also considered one of the GOAT video games. Coming off ALTTP it's not like all OOT had to do was make a competent leap into 3D to get the lofty reputation it received, it truly had to be fun. That game is still awesome to play today and as someone who's beaten every Zelda imaginable, minus Spirit Tracks (train=boring), it most certainly holds up to the current Zelda's in terms of how much fun i have. The items in that game were terrific, even lesser items like Lens of Truth were really cool and functioned in ways we still don't see all that often.

My wife loves Zelda but isn't much of a gamer so she likes to watch me play them, the story in OOT is still her favourite one. It's a classic story and inspiring even, it's an adventure for justice where you can truly identify with the characters, especially Link thanks to his lack of speech. I also don't feel that twists like Sheik being Zelda are played off so well in modern video games, i think you're all downplaying how awesome that was. Think about how memorable the characters in that game were, so many classic sages. Daurina's the Goron Patriarchs dance, that doesn't get old. Ruto the Zora princess insisting you marry her, that's still amusing. The sheer hilariousness of the fat Zora King moving over so slowly so you can go into a giant fishes belly. These are just random memories too it's not like they're examples of something few and far between, the game is filled with moments like this. It's all so memorable and well executed, what they did they did perfect.

OOT isn't my favourite Zelda but it's still damn close, so much to love about that game, no way modern games have the same brilliance of story to go with such fluid and engrossing gameplay. I think the claims of OOT being dated are greatly exaggerated, the graphics maybe were but that was obviously rectified on the 3DS.

Kevlar44

Kevlar44

Drobotic wrote:

Cave Story is the best retro-style indie game and,IMO,beats all the recent "modern retro" games indie developers have to offer and is why I say it is an underrated game.I just found everything in it superb and it's one of my most favorite games of all time.

I recently played through Ikachan and i really enjoyed it, i think i'm going to give it a shot. Which version is the best one?

Kevlar44

unrandomsam

Geonjaha wrote:

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

MM and OoT had some of the best story's in all of Zelda. That's another reason why they've stood the test of time.

Lol. Ocarina of Time had a pretty standard storyline. Princess gets kidnapped by bad guy. Go after bad guy and rescue princess, but only after getting a bunch of certain artifacts (in this case sages). There are amazing games out there that have fantastic stories and Ocarina of Time REALLY isn't one of them. None of the Zelda games are, but Ocarina of Time was barely different to the rest of them anyway.

Back in the day it was fantastic though. Since then It's gotten repetitive ad standard, but back then it was an epic, coming of age story.

But you just said that the story still holds up, and that they've stood the test of time.

My 10 yr old Nephew first played Ocarina of Time 3D relatively recently and it seems like he liked it just as much as I did when I first played it.

The fact that things that came out after it didn't have anywhere near enough creativity cannot be held the thing that came first.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Drobotic

Kevlar44 wrote:

Drobotic wrote:

Cave Story is the best retro-style indie game and,IMO,beats all the recent "modern retro" games indie developers have to offer and is why I say it is an underrated game.I just found everything in it superb and it's one of my most favorite games of all time.

I recently played through Ikachan and i really enjoyed it, i think i'm going to give it a shot. Which version is the best one?

If I remember correctly,the 3DS,Wii,and Steam ports of CS are the best since they have the most content(Playing as Curly,etc.).The Steam and 3DS versions cost the least,though.But of course you can always get the original free version online.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

unrandomsam

The Steam and Wii versions of Cave Story have the nicest graphics.

The best text is in the original version. (Can be patched back in to the Steam version.)

Cave Story is not as good as Super Meatboy / Rogue Legacy / Spelunky / La Mulana / Armored Hunter Gunhound EX / Retro City Rampage DX+

unrandomsam

Armored Hunter Gunhound EX is a good comparison to Cave Story because what happened to it is similar.

Dojin PC game ported to PSP and then finally put onto Steam just recently.

(And it is absolutely miles better).

NavySpheal

Has anyone played Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime? That is one criminally underrated game on the DS.

3DS FC: 4596-9744-5868
Buffalo wings are a gift from the gods themselves.

metroidfire1

overrated the last of us kindom hearts and uncharted.

metroidfire1

Nintendo Network ID: Metroidfire1

DiscoDriver43

Overrated: Mario Kart 64

Underrated: Sonic Transformed guys with Gaming PCS and a love for MK, please do yourself a favor and download this game from steam

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

HappyHappyist

Drobotic wrote:

Cave Story is the best game ever. Not only is the game more solid than most other "modern retro" games, it's also the reason they exist. Cave Story is the game changer that had a large part to play in the indie game movement. My favorite game of all time, no question. Even when this game is the most popular in the whole world, it's still underrated.

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

HappyHappyist

Kevlar44 wrote:

Drobotic wrote:

I started on the 3DS eShop version, and I prefer it to the other versions by far.
Cave Story 3D: That game is just ugly, imo, and it's missing content. steer clear.
Cave Story WiiWare: Graphics are nice, but I like the classic graphics from the original better. Also, the updated music isn't that good, the original music is far superior.
cave story steam: I haven't played it, but I think it's the same as wiiware.
Cave story 3ds shop: best graphics, mobile, best music, all of the content is there (minus the bad music option)

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

Mansa

Transformers: Rise of the dark Spark 3DS
The console version sucks, but the 3DS version is fun. It is a bit repetitive, have crappy graphics, and copied music, and not a GREAT game. But it is not bad enough to the point that barely anyone buys it...

Mansa

Nintendo Network ID: Bronze

Nintendo_Ninja

Bronze wrote:

Transformers: Rise of the dark Spark 3DS
The console version sucks, but the 3DS version is fun. It is a bit repetitive, have crappy graphics, and copied music, and not a GREAT game. But it is not bad
enough to the point that barely anyone
buys it...

I think people judged it by review scores and the console score. This happens to a VERY slim amount of actually good licensed games.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

Maelstrom

HappyHappyist wrote:

Not quite. You have the option to play the "remastered" tracks, or the orriginal tracks, which are much better.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

HappyHappyist

Maelstrom wrote:

HappyHappyist wrote:

Not quite. You have the option to play the "remastered" tracks, or the orriginal tracks, which are much better.

When you say tracks, do you mean level design, or music tracks? the original music tracks are much better, can certainly and easily agree. I have the original tracks burned onto a CD, and I also have a piano cover burned onto a CD.

Blue blue.

startropics3

Underrated:

• Zelda 2: Adventure of Link [The more honest game description that should have been on the box: "Zelda 2 doesn't care what you think it should be. It will leave you curled up, crying in a corner until you learn to obey its demands. Enjoy your hard-earned victories, you masochist, because you won't feel this way again until Demon's Souls."]
  • Resident Evil [PS1 version, because serrated, polygonal zombies were plenty scary. Do you like Maniac Mansion and B-movie zombie flicks? Or do you turn off games because you only have five bullets, and the thought of going back into that room with two creeper zombies gives you night terrors? Yes and yes!]

Overrated:

• Metroid Prime & Super Metroid, [Samus' thoughts: "Why am I always responding to distress beacons? Bounty hunting must not be my calling. Bombs, missiles, ball morphs... didn't I already get this crap? Oh good, a map and save station; I almost had to worry about death. Now I'm being told my objective is to go to this area. Hope I don't get lost. And look, it's as if someone designed this entire planet just for my needs. Glad I found this x-ray visor or else I might have to spend time exploring. I would like to go a different route, but this door is yellow and I can only open red and blue ones. Why are there doors anyway? Oh well, back to my objectives."]
  • Resident Evil 4 [A completely new style of Resident Evil that plays more like a FPS, what could go wrong? Wait, so the "zombies" now drop herbs and bullets, and I don't need ink ribbons to use typewriters? Someone should tell the folks over in Raccoon City about this. I'm having so much fun shooting these villagers in the head and knees, I must have forgotten this is a survival-horror game. That nice merchant sold me a map so I don't get lost and he even marked locations of treasures. Even a zombie could play this game.]

Edited on by startropics3

startropics3

unrandomsam

HappyHappyist wrote:

Maelstrom wrote:

HappyHappyist wrote:

When you say tracks, do you mean level design, or music tracks? the original music tracks are much better, can certainly and easily agree. I have the original tracks burned onto a CD, and I also have a piano cover burned onto a CD.

Music tracks. You can also put the original text back which is a great improvement.

However it is still nowhere near as good as Spelunky (Comparing the new versions to each other or the original freeware ones).

Oragami

I have added the DS Zelda Games to my underrated list

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

HappyHappyist

Oragami wrote:

very underrated games. Spirit Tracks is one of my favorite Zeldas.

Blue blue.

Nintendo_Ninja

Oragami wrote:

I really liked Phantom Hourglass.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.