Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are OverHATED

Posts 121 to 137 of 137

kkslider5552000

Aven wrote:

No man's sky. I wish they'd port it to the Switch, I feel it would find success here.

No Man's Sky is the poster child of why relying on the game to be what people wanted it to be AFTER release instead of AT release is not always a good idea. Miyamoto is still right since for many people, No Man's Sky will forever be the disappointing game from 2016.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Aven wrote:

No man's sky. I wish they'd port it to the Switch, I feel it would find success here.

No Man's Sky is the poster child of why relying on the game to be what people wanted it to be AFTER release instead of AT release is not always a good idea. Miyamoto is still right since for many people, No Man's Sky will forever be the disappointing game from 2016.

And honestly, the devs were dishonest enough that I genuinely think all of its hate was warranted, even though I think it's actually pretty fun now, and I'm looking forward to the next big update. They really screwed the pooch by letting their PR be so purposely vague and manipulative, and it really shouldn't have released in the state it did, which was on-par with some of the Early Access stuff at the time...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SharkAttackU

I gone back to play Ryse: Son of Rome. That game is definitely overhated.

SharkAttackU

TheTetrisGuy

One game I never understood the hate for is Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2. The level design is good, controls are great, and the force powers are fun. It’s not perfect, but it’s just super fun to go through the levels and feel like the baddest guy in the galaxy.

Edited on by TheTetrisGuy

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

ThomasOfTheTiels

Mayro Soounshin.

You like compost?
I'll compost YOUR FACE!

kkslider5552000

Thinking about it, technically every game ever is overhated considering how hyperbolic people on the internet can be about anything, good or bad.

I mean Sticker Star was kind of a disaster and I hate the reasoning behind where the series has gone but some people need to chill. It's just a game...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Megas75

Final Fantasy VIII - My favorite game in the main series. Love the world, fantastic music and visuals, Squall is my favorite lead in the series, Laguna is my favorite character in the series, and the easily exploitable battle system makes me appreciate it more somehow

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes - People hate this game for being a Metal Gear game

Starfox Adventures/Assault/Command - Honestly I love all of them and I think they all have their merits to the franchise(well, barring Command's awful story). Assault I feel should be the mold for future games, just make more space battles and clean up ground combat a bit

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

CanisWolfred

Megas75 wrote:

Starfox Adventures/Assault/Command - Honestly I love all of them and I think they all have their merits to the franchise(well, barring Command's awful story). Assault I feel should be the mold for future games, just make more space battles and clean up ground combat a bit

Hah, I actually felt like Starfox Command's story was its best feature. It was a confusing mess, but I liked the branching paths approach, and let's face it, how often does Star Fox really delve into its world and characters?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

R_Champ

Megas75 wrote:

Final Fantasy VIII - My favorite game in the main series. Love the world, fantastic music and visuals, Squall is my favorite lead in the series, Laguna is my favorite character in the series, and the easily exploitable battle system makes me appreciate it more somehow

Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes - People hate this game for being a Metal Gear game

I agree with all three of these (though I never played Command). Each has its faults, but they are definitely over-hated because they stand in the shadow of more popular games.

I think Skyward Sword and Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter are both over-hated too. Sure a ton of people love Skyward Sword, but for every lover their is some fat, racist youtuber poisoning people against it even though it has amazing music, lore, and dungeons (the motion controls aren't THAT hard/bad either). Dragon Quarter is unique. It isn't like other games in the series so people hate it, but it's a great stand alone title if you take the time to get past of the first difficulty curve.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

Citano

Super Mario Bros. 2: It got some heat for being "Super Mario Bros. USA", but I enjoyed this game alot for being a clone of Doki Doki Panic. Also helped growing up with this game and had a blast playing it in the Super Mario All-Stars package for some 16-bit love both graphic and music wise.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: The last FE console game. I really enjoyed this one. Great music, characters, drama and a nwe twist from the story of the previous game (Path of Radiance). Sure it was hard but not impossible.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: It gets some heat because it ain't the original FF Tactics, but I still enjoyed this alot and have played it multiple times.

Metroid: Other M: While the story is indeed questionable, it doesn't drag down the other aspects of this game (even though many critics keep ignoring this).

YouTube: Citanoo | Twitch: Citano

Switch Friend Code: SW-6889-0490-7786 | 3DS Friend Code: 1676-3904-6109 | My Nintendo: Citano | Nintendo Network ID: Citanoo | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Citano wrote:

Super Mario Bros. 2: It got some heat for being "Super Mario Bros. USA", but I enjoyed this game alot for being a clone of Doki Doki Panic. Also helped growing up with this game and had a blast playing it in the Super Mario All-Stars package for some 16-bit love both graphic and music wise.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: The last FE console game. I really enjoyed this one. Great music, characters, drama and a nwe twist from the story of the previous game (Path of Radiance). Sure it was hard but not impossible.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: It gets some heat because it ain't the original FF Tactics, but I still enjoyed this alot and have played it multiple times.

Metroid: Other M: While the story is indeed questionable, it doesn't drag down the other aspects of this game (even though many critics keep ignoring this).

3 out of 4 of those are actually pretty popular, though Tactics Advance does have its detractors, because...it's a dumbed down version of a game that most felt deserved a sequel that built upon its foundation, instead of stripping it down and adding nonsensicle additions like the Law system. It still has its fans, however, since the core gameplay is still good - it just could've been better, or at least it would sting less if they ever bothered to release a Final Fantasy Tactics 2.

Sort of like what happened with SMB2 - I'm sure it had its lamentors at the time, but history has since buried it under the avalance of great 2D Mario games that followed it in the more traditional style. Now people can look back at it for what it is - a quirky and unusual 2D platformer that has nothing else like it anymore. It never replaced the original formula, so it's kind of hard to stay mad at it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Fandabidozi

FFXIII
It takes an age to get up and going but when it does its great. I love the story and the characters.
The graphics are very pretty. Music's excellent. I really enjoyed the combat and powering up the weapons and messing about with abilities and team combos.
Low points would be there's a lot of corridors, like a lot. The open world part of the game is very easy to get lost in/ not clear where the quest objective is or even where to turn a quest in.

Edited on by Fandabidozi

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

LuckyLand

Ports of old games, in general, I'm not talking about only the Switch. A classic will always be a classic, if you already played a game you know if you like it and instead of fearing it could be disappointing you feel twice the excitement if you buy it because: 1) you already know you will enjoy it (if not you wouldn't be buying it again, right?) and 2) not only you are going to enjoy the game but also the nostalgia feeling of something that already gave you many special moments before.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

CanisWolfred

Snaplocket wrote:

@CanisWolfred I wouldn't really call Radiant Dawn "popular." No Fire Emblem was popular until Awakening came along. Now there are more Fire Emblem characters in the latest Smash Bros then Metroid or Donkey Kong.

It wasn't looked down upon by fans or reviewers, though. In fact, it was held as the best in the franchise by a fair number of members on this site until Awakening, and probably even after that. Honestly, the problem with Fire Emblem was always that it never had the attention and marketing in par with even Metroid to help it succeed, until Awakening...which I still prefer, mind you.

Just saying...that inclusion on his list confused me. Worst complaints I ever heard related to difficulty spikes that the fact that it was essentially Part 2 to Path of Radiance for the GCN. Maybe some balancing issues that always seems to crop up now and again in these types of games. Maybe I don't spend enough time talking to hardcore Fire Emblem fans? Then again, one such fan broke down for me why Awakening was supposedly an unbalanced mess, yet it was never a detriment to my experience.

...Actually, I guess this whole thread can be summed up as, "internet echo chambers suck." I recently went through a bunch of gameplay videos and video reviews for games I skipped over, and found a bunch that might actually appeal to me. For example, Divinity: Dragon Commander sounded so awesome, but I was put off by reviews and some hardcore RTS fans who complained about it too much...looking back, though? It still seems right up my alley, and probably a ton of fun when taken as its own thing, and now I'm waiting for it to go on sale at some point so I can dive into it.

...Even DmC wasn't as bad as I initially thought. I'm still angry about the portrayal of iconic characters, seriously if it was an entirely unique property, I might've liked it...or it might've been pretentious garbage like the rest of Ninja Theory's outings, but it would've stung less when they tried to overuse curse words in place of actually witty dialogue, and don't even get me started on what they did to Vergil!...actually, that still wouldn't be okay, that character just oversteps the line, twice. Still, it looks fun and had some great ideas...it just needed better writing and maybe some more depth to its combat, which the Definitive Edition might've touched on. At least it isn't clunky as **** like Heavenly Sword, or going for trippy bullcrap like Hellblade....oh wait, yes it does. Except it actually worked in DmC, making for some really fun and challenging platforming sections. Easily the best part of the game that I played, and definitely an improvement over its predecessors.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

Radiant Dawn's biggest problems were translation errors (e.g. easy = normal, normal = hard, hard = lunatic) and the difficulty spike with Micaiah's group in parts 3 and 4.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CanisWolfred

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Radiant Dawn's biggest problems were translation errors (e.g. easy = normal, normal = hard, hard = lunatic) and the difficulty spike with Micaiah's group in parts 3 and 4.

That sounds familiar, thank you.

@Snaplocket "Popular within its own fandom" was all I meant. Honestly, I was only trying to say "I don't remember the fans causing a stink over that one," and it was during an era when I was closely following a large number of games outside my own comfort zone.

Anywho, more on-topic:

Street Fighter x Tekken is another one that comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, its admirable that so many were quick to point out that Capcom was outright withholding finished content so they could sell it later, a lesson that I wish had sunk in, looking at Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite - which feels like a successor to SFxT as far as mechanics go, and also happened to have quite a few iconic characters missing, while sporting about 6 or so characters confirmed as DLC before launch. Oh Capcom...

Otherwise, I honestly thought it was a fine fighter, and quite the love-letter to fans of both series. It had its imbalances (...just like every first-iteration Capcom VS game), and I'm still not sure how I feel about the gems system.

...I might be out of my element here, actually, as I'm only a casual fan of fighting games. With that in mind, I'll just say that it offered all of the story and character interactions I wanted from the concept; it had a lot of really cool fighters, and the Tekken characters translated way better than I thought they would. The Gems system at the very least did not outright break the game from my experience, but then again, I did not go out of the way to understand its ins and outs, plus MvC:I seems like an evolution of that system that's arguably better-implemented. And I'm not gonna lie, those DLC characters were really great and it sucks that they purposely held them back. At the very least, I'm not so sure I would've liked it as much without Dudley and Elena. Hard to say, since I didn't play it until after those characters were added in.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

Why are you watching fat and racist YouTubers (and why does the first thing have any bearing on you disagreeing with them)?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.