Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are OverHATED

Posts 101 to 120 of 159

Tsurii

Yah, Skyward Sword has its share of issues, but the controls never bothered me outside of the whole shtick with the boss keys being kind of irritating to me because those "puzzles" were almost insultingly obvious. Like, what was even the point?

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Yosheel

NintendoPete wrote:

Meowpheel wrote:

...the motion controls in TP... Skyward Sword on the other hand...

Don't understand the hate for Skyward Sword's motion controls - they worked like a charm and never failed on me. In my opinion, it added a lot to the immersion. It is my favorite pre-Breath of the Wild Zelda game, mostly due to its control scheme and the art style.

Well, I don't personally hate them (except the bomb rolling). I was just comparing the hate they get to the hate Wii!TP's controls get.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

faint

The final Fantasy 13 trilogy. These games would be loved if they had a name other than final fantasy.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

noobish_hat

@faint
Nope. A cast of intensely unlikeable characters would be hated regardless of the game they're blighting.

Edited on by noobish_hat

noobish_hat

kkslider5552000

I'd argue the opposite, since despite being a hallway game with a story no one understood or enjoyed, Final Fantasy XIII still got an 83 on Metacritic. Which is probably 20 more than it deserves (or would've gotten had it not been a main Final Fantasy title).

And that's me being kind and assuming there's non-aesthetic related value to the game despite its embarrassing shortcomings tbh (since my experience with the game is solely through its story).

Besides, the actual good Final Fantasy XIII came out before it. It's called Lost Odyssey.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

faint

@kkslider5552000 I did mention the trilogy didn’t I? The second one is a completely open experience. I’m speaking as someone who just finished all of them.

[email protected]

Knuckles-Fajita

@faint "Dont worry. As a trilogy its good once you get past the original" is now the most underhanded compliment to a game after Nier Automato with "It gets good after two playthroughs"

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

Snaplocket

@YummyHappyPills I think he means it more in a, "the first game has some problems but the later titles are better" kinda way. A lot of first installments in franchises are rough around the edges (Crash 1, Rachet and Clank, Spyro 1, Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Legend of Zelda NES, Kirby's Dream Land, You see where I'm going) compared to later games. Personally, I like Final Fantasy XIII. I definitely don't agree with @kkslider555200 in that the characters are completely unlikeable or that it has very few positives besides graphics but that's his opinion not mine (assuming he at least played the game). In regards to the Metacritic score, I can't say for sure since a lot of press sites DID start to change their opinions since time went on, although that might just be backpedaling due to the new found hate it was getting.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

MisterPi

I'd also throw my hat in and say 13 got more flak than it should have. Linearity didn't bother me at all and the lore was really awesome. Had its flaws though. That said, lightning returns makes up for them anyway

Edited on by MisterPi

MisterPi

faint

@YummyHappyPills I never said that. I said the second and third are far more open but I enjoyed the third. Don’t put words in my mouth.

[email protected]

Ralizah

@faint I didn't dislike FFXIII just because it wasn't a traditional FF game. I disliked it because there was no freedom to do anything more than run forward in a straight line, the battles somehow felt simultaneously difficult AND automated, making them a slog and unsatisfying even when you win them (how is that even possible?), and it has the most thoroughly unlikable cast of characters I've ever encountered in a JRPG. Oh, and let's not forget that this was the game that standardized bizarre, unpronounceable fantasy nouns in the series (L’Cie; Fal’Cie; Cie’th; etc.). Or the story that I couldn't make heads or tails of. Or the almost complete lack of NPC interaction.

I haven't played the sequels. They might be good, who knows? But FFXIII is a dumpster fire.

In my opinion, of course. I hear it was quite popular in Japan, and that mystifies me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

faint

@Ralizah the la’cie are humans branded by the fal’cie to help them reunite with Eden whom all fal’cie are derived from. The fal’cie are the summons you come across (broke away from cocoon) or summons who still side with cocoon (like carbuncle). The humans are at war with the runaway fal’cie because their life kind of depends on it. The fal’cie power their planet, grow their food, ect. How difficult is that to understand?

[email protected]

MFD

Xenoblade Chronicles X, for all the flak it got about mech combat and story, is still one of my favourites.

MFD

Snaplocket

@Ralizah I watched all the cutscenes online and I picked up on what's what really fast and I found the battles to be satisfying when you win them. The cast is a whole nother story because the cast is kinda intentionally unlikeable due to the fact they're all in a really bad situation and the game makes it pretty clear some guys aren't making the right decisions. They definitely get better and more developed as the game goes on but yeah, I can totally understand why some people would hate the cast and to be honest the villains are all kinda lame. I can't really say what your saying isn't understandable, because it's VERY different from a typical JRPG and not entirely in a good way. I can't really defend the tutorials, linearity, and the lack of stuff to do besides combat, those are definitely the most valid complaints. However, I feel everything else makes up for it.

canucksfan989

Batman Arkham Origins. Now call me crazy but I feel it's a better game both in story and gameplay compared to Arkham City. The Joker reveal gives me chills every time. The boss fights are all enjoyable whereas City it's for me just the Mr Freeze fight and some average encounters. Plagued by an awful launch and also being a prequel if they had launched with this game first without the awful launch I think it would of been recieved better. I still find it funny people still thought it was broken based on an article saying only game breaking bugs would be fixed going forward acting as if it would get zero patches. In fact after that article a week later I wanna say maybe longer they did a PC patch for a keyboard control for a quick gadget. Now I can speak for the console version but the PC version for me runs flawlessly after the patches they did and in fact I can actually run the dx11 features vs playing Arkham City I'm stuck on dx9 because dx11 runs poorly for whatever reason.

canucksfan989

Tyranexx

MFD wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles X, for all the flak it got about mech combat and story, is still one of my favourites.

There were complaints about the mech combat? Okay, it admittedly isn't perfect, but it's still pretty awesome to beat things to a pulp with them. My Amdusias completely destroys. I spent half of my last session farming raptor indigens in Sylvalum for experience. It was great until I ran afoul of what was probably the WEIRDEST tyrant in the game.

As for the story, it isn't award-winning, but it's certainly enjoyable. Some of the missions have been really well done as well IMO, including an introduction to one that I didn't see coming.

Video Corner: If Mario Had a Battle Royale Mode
Currently playing: Ocarina of Time 3D (Master Quest), Paper Mario: Color Splash

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Euler

Interesting topic. In no particular order:

Skyward Sword - Definitely one of the better Zelda games. The motion controls change things up a bit, but they don't detract from the game IMO (aside from a couple gimmicky parts like the harp scene - no game is perfect though). The things that make the Legend of Zelda series great are all on full display: well-designed dungeons, clever puzzles, epic boss fights (the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round is a fun challenge), and an interesting storyline. Ghirahim has to be the best villain in the series and Nintendo clearly put a lot of thought into his character development. He appears at the end of each dungeon in some capacity, so we can see him gradually evolve from a smug elitist into a bloodthirsty maniac. Far better than the standard Big Bad that shows up in the final boss battle and maybe one or two cutscenes beforehand. The equipment upgrade system is another good addition, adding a new dimension of strategy to the game.

Twilight Princess - Doesn't live up to all the hate it gets on the Internet. It takes a long time to get through, but why exactly is that a bad thing? If you're going to charge me $80 for a game, it better keep me busy for a while. Unlike Skyward Sword, there's an overworld to explore - either through riding a horse, riding a pig, and/or turning into a werewolf. People complain that it's too big and empty, yet in BotW they have no problem traipsing around an area that's literally the size of Manhattan (see: https://imgur.com/gallery/6ro0m3w ). Twilight Princess also features awesome dungeons (Snowpeak Ruins!) and some unique boss battles. The jousting match on the Bridge of Eldin and the Old West-style shootout stand out. As with Skyward Sword, the Wii waggle doesn't really have a negative impact on the gameplay.

Super Mario 64 DS - The controls take some getting used to, but they're not nearly as bad as everyone says they are. You have to hold a run button, but the same is true for 3D Land and 3D World. The D-pad is still precise enough to do everything except swinging Bowser around (which can be done with the touch screen and the wrist strap). The 30 additional stars, portability, the option to use Yoshi, Wario, or Luigi in addition to Mario, and the minigames more than make up for having to get used to the new controls. Plus, they fixed those ugly character models.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Super_Mario_64...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - The physics are changed from Melee. It's one thing to prefer one game to the other (the same way people might prefer Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World over the other one), but to say that Brawl is "broken" or "unplayable" for that reason is ridiculous. Subspace Emissary, Boss Battles mode, Final Smashes, and Challenges were all worthy additions to the franchise. The random tripping mechanic is a bit annoying, but it doesn't happen nearly often enough to be gamebreaking.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels - A solid platformer and a great game for anyone that loves Mario games and appreciates a serious challenge. I would even call it the best in the series, at least out of the ones I’ve played (all except 3D World and Odyssey). While I can see why a super-difficult “expansion pack sequel” might not have been the right follow-up for the NES (Super Mario Bros. 2 USA and Super Mario Bros. 3 did that more effectively), I’m glad we finally got it for later consoles. Lost Levels has much more content than Super Mario Bros, including five post-game worlds. Level design is also more creative than in the original – instead of “hard mode filler” (where they repeat levels and hope nobody notices) there are some clever puzzle levels. The option to play as Luigi is another cool feature (though it would have been better if he could be selected at the start of a level like in later installments). The high difficulty makes it incredibly satisfying to finally beat the game, but at the same time it never feels unfair (no cheap Kaizo tricks, RNG spam, or broken controls).

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) - Doesn’t get quite as much vitriol as the other games on this list, but it’s still regularly derided as “not a real Mario game”. It’s true that this game was a Doki Doki Panic port. But this is only half the story. It was in fact developed to eventually become a new Mario game, but became Doki Doki Panic after Nintendo got a licensing deal with a Japanese show. It feels and plays differently from the first Super Mario Bros, but that was commonplace for sequels of that era (see: Zelda 2, Castlevania 2). I have some nostalgia for it, as the Gameboy Advance version was the first main series Mario game I ever owned or played to completion.

Nintendo Land - A good launch title for the Wii U. Showcases the Miiverse and the gamepad’s unique capabilities, with a wide selection of single-player and multiplayer games. The Metroid attraction especially stands out. There’s lots to do, and the games are deeper than most people give them credit for.

Euler

Snaplocket

Okay folks I'm gonna give this game extra special attention because it really deserves it.

Lunar Dragon Song - This has to be one of the most overhated games ever. People call it absolute trash when in reality it is one of the smartest and most intelligent JRPGs ever made. Simply put, this is the World Ends with You of turn-based RPGs. It's a very clever take on the series that points out the issues with the genre while simultaneously doing justice to its predecessors.
First up, let me just say that the cast of characters is one of my favorites in recent memory. Many fans complain that the cast is bland, unlikable and seem to change motives and personalities on a whim but those guys miss the fact that all those things are intentional. The main characters, Jian and Lucia (not the Lucia from Lunar 2 but a totally different one) are both boring characters with little personality but what I like about the game is that it doesn't try to hide the fact they're boring characters with little personality. So what if at the beginning of the game Jian only lightly hints he might have feelings for her only to suddenly be all "I LOVE HER!" when Lucia gets kidnapped (after the player collects a whole lot of valuable equipment for her)[/spoiler]. Don't you get it? ALL JRPG heroes have forced love interests that evolve in a totally unrealistic way. [spoiler] Also really love how Rufus (one of the games party members) doesn't join until over halfway through the game and then dies after just ONE dungeon, no one will ever see that coming.
Then there's the story which many critics complain is slowly paced and cliche is actually a smart, well-written take on the typical fantasy racism plot. All the beginning parts are completely necessary. The beginning where the opening text crawl explains the story, the first dungeon where the package is stolen by monsters, the trek through town to figure out where said monsters went, going to the dungeon and recovering said package, heading back to the town and entering a tournament, getting cursed and receiving help from the "TOTALLY NOT ACTUALLY A PRINCESS" cat-girl, getting said curse reversed, it might sound like a whole bunch of pointless junk until the plot finally gets going but trust me it's all necessary. I also love how it's the beastmen that are racist as apposed to the humans (even though that contradicts the previous games) even if it doesn't actually change anything. I also love the fact that you never actually like fight the main villain and instead fight his lackey (who has no personality).
Finally there's the gameplay, which just like everything else is misunderstood. A lot of players criticize many of the gameplay elements like running costing HP, the two separate reward modes (experience or items, not both), level scaling, being unable to target enemies, etc. but what those players fail to realize is that it's actually an indirect commentary at how JRPGs let you cheese the battles. By making running cost HP, it adds a strategic element where you have to choose whether or not you run faster to avoid enemies (granted it also drains in towns but you can just heal up so no big whoop). While it might seem like not being able to target enemies reduces the strategy, it actually increases it. Since you can't just pick your enemy you need to be careful when and where you fight battles. The separate modes is another thing that goes hand in hand with level scaling, since all enemies scale to your level, items are more valuable.
If I had to pick something that I didn't like, I thought the dialogue was kinda stilted and I really didn't like how the game portrayed text boxes. It's also annoying how limited your mages MP pools are (Lucia can only cast her basic healing spell once at the begging game). Otherwise, this is one of the smarted and most enjoyable RPGs I've ever played. If I had to give this game a score, it would have to be.......

A ZERO OUT OF TEN

Happy April Fool's Day.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic