Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are OverHATED

Posts 101 to 120 of 137

faint

@Ralizah the la’cie are humans branded by the fal’cie to help them reunite with Eden whom all fal’cie are derived from. The fal’cie are the summons you come across (broke away from cocoon) or summons who still side with cocoon (like carbuncle). The humans are at war with the runaway fal’cie because their life kind of depends on it. The fal’cie power their planet, grow their food, ect. How difficult is that to understand?

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

MFD

Xenoblade Chronicles X, for all the flak it got about mech combat and story, is still one of my favourites.

MFD

canucksfan989

Batman Arkham Origins. Now call me crazy but I feel it's a better game both in story and gameplay compared to Arkham City. The Joker reveal gives me chills every time. The boss fights are all enjoyable whereas City it's for me just the Mr Freeze fight and some average encounters. Plagued by an awful launch and also being a prequel if they had launched with this game first without the awful launch I think it would of been recieved better. I still find it funny people still thought it was broken based on an article saying only game breaking bugs would be fixed going forward acting as if it would get zero patches. In fact after that article a week later I wanna say maybe longer they did a PC patch for a keyboard control for a quick gadget. Now I can speak for the console version but the PC version for me runs flawlessly after the patches they did and in fact I can actually run the dx11 features vs playing Arkham City I'm stuck on dx9 because dx11 runs poorly for whatever reason.

canucksfan989

Tyranexx

MFD wrote:

Xenoblade Chronicles X, for all the flak it got about mech combat and story, is still one of my favourites.

There were complaints about the mech combat? Okay, it admittedly isn't perfect, but it's still pretty awesome to beat things to a pulp with them. My Amdusias completely destroys. I spent half of my last session farming raptor indigens in Sylvalum for experience. It was great until I ran afoul of what was probably the WEIRDEST tyrant in the game.

As for the story, it isn't award-winning, but it's certainly enjoyable. Some of the missions have been really well done as well IMO, including an introduction to one that I didn't see coming.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Euler

Interesting topic. In no particular order:

Skyward Sword - Definitely one of the better Zelda games. The motion controls change things up a bit, but they don't detract from the game IMO (aside from a couple gimmicky parts like the harp scene - no game is perfect though). The things that make the Legend of Zelda series great are all on full display: well-designed dungeons, clever puzzles, epic boss fights (the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round is a fun challenge), and an interesting storyline. Ghirahim has to be the best villain in the series and Nintendo clearly put a lot of thought into his character development. He appears at the end of each dungeon in some capacity, so we can see him gradually evolve from a smug elitist into a bloodthirsty maniac. Far better than the standard Big Bad that shows up in the final boss battle and maybe one or two cutscenes beforehand. The equipment upgrade system is another good addition, adding a new dimension of strategy to the game.

Twilight Princess - Doesn't live up to all the hate it gets on the Internet. It takes a long time to get through, but why exactly is that a bad thing? If you're going to charge me $80 for a game, it better keep me busy for a while. Unlike Skyward Sword, there's an overworld to explore - either through riding a horse, riding a pig, and/or turning into a werewolf. People complain that it's too big and empty, yet in BotW they have no problem traipsing around an area that's literally the size of Manhattan (see: https://imgur.com/gallery/6ro0m3w ). Twilight Princess also features awesome dungeons (Snowpeak Ruins!) and some unique boss battles. The jousting match on the Bridge of Eldin and the Old West-style shootout stand out. As with Skyward Sword, the Wii waggle doesn't really have a negative impact on the gameplay.

Super Mario 64 DS - The controls take some getting used to, but they're not nearly as bad as everyone says they are. You have to hold a run button, but the same is true for 3D Land and 3D World. The D-pad is still precise enough to do everything except swinging Bowser around (which can be done with the touch screen and the wrist strap). The 30 additional stars, portability, the option to use Yoshi, Wario, or Luigi in addition to Mario, and the minigames more than make up for having to get used to the new controls. Plus, they fixed those ugly character models.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Super_Mario_64...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - The physics are changed from Melee. It's one thing to prefer one game to the other (the same way people might prefer Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World over the other one), but to say that Brawl is "broken" or "unplayable" for that reason is ridiculous. Subspace Emissary, Boss Battles mode, Final Smashes, and Challenges were all worthy additions to the franchise. The random tripping mechanic is a bit annoying, but it doesn't happen nearly often enough to be gamebreaking.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels - A solid platformer and a great game for anyone that loves Mario games and appreciates a serious challenge. I would even call it the best in the series, at least out of the ones I’ve played (all except 3D World and Odyssey). While I can see why a super-difficult “expansion pack sequel” might not have been the right follow-up for the NES (Super Mario Bros. 2 USA and Super Mario Bros. 3 did that more effectively), I’m glad we finally got it for later consoles. Lost Levels has much more content than Super Mario Bros, including five post-game worlds. Level design is also more creative than in the original – instead of “hard mode filler” (where they repeat levels and hope nobody notices) there are some clever puzzle levels. The option to play as Luigi is another cool feature (though it would have been better if he could be selected at the start of a level like in later installments). The high difficulty makes it incredibly satisfying to finally beat the game, but at the same time it never feels unfair (no cheap Kaizo tricks, RNG spam, or broken controls).

Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) - Doesn’t get quite as much vitriol as the other games on this list, but it’s still regularly derided as “not a real Mario game”. It’s true that this game was a Doki Doki Panic port. But this is only half the story. It was in fact developed to eventually become a new Mario game, but became Doki Doki Panic after Nintendo got a licensing deal with a Japanese show. It feels and plays differently from the first Super Mario Bros, but that was commonplace for sequels of that era (see: Zelda 2, Castlevania 2). I have some nostalgia for it, as the Gameboy Advance version was the first main series Mario game I ever owned or played to completion.

Nintendo Land - A good launch title for the Wii U. Showcases the Miiverse and the gamepad’s unique capabilities, with a wide selection of single-player and multiplayer games. The Metroid attraction especially stands out. There’s lots to do, and the games are deeper than most people give them credit for.

Euler

Bolt_Strike

Euler wrote:

Twilight Princess - Doesn't live up to all the hate it gets on the Internet. It takes a long time to get through, but why exactly is that a bad thing? If you're going to charge me $80 for a game, it better keep me busy for a while. Unlike Skyward Sword, there's an overworld to explore - either through riding a horse, riding a pig, and/or turning into a werewolf. People complain that it's too big and empty, yet in BotW they have no problem traipsing around an area that's literally the size of Manhattan (see: https://imgur.com/gallery/6ro0m3w ). Twilight Princess also features awesome dungeons (Snowpeak Ruins!) and some unique boss battles. The jousting match on the Bridge of Eldin and the Old West-style shootout stand out. As with Skyward Sword, the Wii waggle doesn't really have a negative impact on the gameplay.

I never really had a problem with the size of the game, but yes it is definitely empty. I remember getting to Kakariko Village and seeing all the buildings there and thinking "Man, there is nothing to do here". And that's the game's problem, the areas feel appropriate for a console game but they just don't fill them with things to do. There were pretty much no sidequests until you got to Lanayru (and even then, you had to go through a long and drawn out Wolf section to unlock them. I don't mind playing as the Wolf for a bit but traversing half of Hyrule at wolf speed was not enjoyable).

BotW may be empty to some degree as well, but BotW has much more in terms of sidequests and content and makes much better use of... pretty much everything about the game.

All that being said, I didn't find Twilight Princess to be a bad game, but it definitely had its flaws. The game could've been structured a lot better.

Euler wrote:

Super Mario 64 DS - The controls take some getting used to, but they're not nearly as bad as everyone says they are. You have to hold a run button, but the same is true for 3D Land and 3D World. The D-pad is still precise enough to do everything except swinging Bowser around (which can be done with the touch screen and the wrist strap). The 30 additional stars, portability, the option to use Yoshi, Wario, or Luigi in addition to Mario, and the minigames more than make up for having to get used to the new controls. Plus, they fixed those ugly character models.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Super_Mario_64...

This I agree with. I never really had much problem with the controls and everything else about the game is a legitimate improvement, so this is hands down the better version in my book.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

tbh, this thread could be renamed "Well liked games at launch that everyone turned against for questionable reasons". I mean that's not always true, but it often is if people actively WANT to hate on a game so frequently.

Though Twilight Princess is the one that's always baffled me. Like...90% of its problems are basically the same as other 3D Zeldas. That thing you didn't like was probably in at least one of those 3D Zeldas you actually love, if not all of the previous 3.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

darkfenrir

Alright, I'm not sure if it's super hated, but I remember looking at Steam Forums and god, it went to "If you enjoy FFXV, you are scum on Earth" or something.

I feel that game, especially the current iteration of Final Fantasy XV - Royal Edition is too hated.

1. The battle system.
Alright, so first the battle system. People were saying things like,

• "you only need to press one button to win" -> I feel like this is a... thing that isn't too true? I feel like the press button makes it feel better instead of constant button mash you kinda do a little in action games. The dodge is a little dodgy, but the press to attack actually makes it feel better, IMO.
  • "the items are too op!! it'll just stop time, the heck SE?!" -> ... My question is, if you need to use items and you said the game is easy, doesn't that mean that you aren't too good at it anyway? Idk about this, but tbh I feel like if you said it's too easy, and still uses items, maybe you need to rethink what you think as easy.
  • "it's too easy! The story mode is cakewalk!" -> This one I kinda agree... if you are overleveled. If you aren't and kinda on same level, some parts can be nightmarish, especially when you are fighting a TON of enemies. Also Coeurl is HARD even if you are same level. Frickin heck those leopards with moustache hits like a OHKO.
  • "The magic sucks because it's like a bomb now" -> This is YMMV of course, but... I actually like it. It's really refreshing thing to do vs the old times of FF where you just spam magic according to your MP. This one feels kinda original-ish (probably not), but it feels fitting with the setting.

2. The graphics.
Some people said that the graphics are so sucky like PS3 level, or worse than Witcher 3. I played it on Low-Standard mostly, and aren't sure what they are seeing... I saw it as completely gorgeous. Witcher 3 looks good too from when I see it at my friend's rig, but still, both are nice enough... Maybe I just don't have the eye for this.

3. Map.
Some said that the map feels too restrictive and... I kinda agrees. I don't like those invisible wall, but man, it still feels HUGE. I don't want to walk all over the map and feels glad there's Chocobos and Cars that can bring me around. (That Auto feature people are angry about is actually really nice :V I can just look at somewhere else until it's done).

4. Story.
People said the story sucks, and the Royal Edition pretty much... fixes it? I think? The transition from Open World to Linear part feels like it's done well, the timeskip part also feels nice and fitting. I don't know, overall I think the story is great, and I love it. Feels there's satisfaction when you finish it (It's probably helped that there's a lot more boss especially on last Chapter).

Overall, FFXV feels like a solid 8/10 kind of game. This Royal Edition is certainly a polished version, and while there's still more Episodes to come, I think that this one is still good enough to dip for.

Another Note: I remember reading that FFXV is actually only in development for 4 years or so for the first release, and pressured to be released quick- so that might be why the vanilla is so unpolished.

darkfenrir

kkslider5552000

I haven't played XV but that's another one where I'm like "you sure we've played the same previous games?" Because like Final Fantasy's battle system in the 90s...it's good but like...it's a turn based battle system. And like one of the ones where more often than not, you don't need too much strategy or thinking. You can just grind and beat nearly everyone with the same few attacks.

LuckyLand

Bolt_Strike wrote:

BotW may be empty to some degree as well, but BotW has much more in terms of sidequests and content and makes much better use of... pretty much everything about the game.

I think it is exactly the opposite. Twilight Princess may be empty as much as BOTW is (in my opinion BOTW is even worse, but maybe it is jus me and my preference for Twilight Princess), but since Breath of the wild is so much, much, MUCH bigger and don't even give you a real path to follow it is like the game FORCES you to notice how empty it is (really I just don't understand how people can have fun with it and say there are many things to do - yes there are but they are all unimpressive and unremarkable and the collectibles are uninteresting. Temple puzzles are fun to solve but the reward is too small and at least in the beginning it is frustrating to be forced to choose between hp and stamina).
Twilight Princess was much smaller and gave you a full fledged adventure carefully crafted to be enjoyable and fun from beginning to end, and because of that it never really felt that empty. It was probably much more empty than it felt but honestly it is more important how a game make you feel than how it actually is - playing games is dealing with fake things after all. And Breath of the wild is absolutely not any less empty anyway.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

darkfenrir

@kkslider5552000 I mean if you want to... you can defeat everything with only normal attack. In a lot of games (I'm sure that even Dark Souls have runs where you only do a single swing of sword repeatedly, right?)

Or something along those lines. But tbh, I always felt FF is different enough from one game to another that the leap to action style games aren't too much of a difference, IMO. They changed battle system nearly every installments other than the basic turn based at the beginning, and then it changed to ATB... which makes it kinda more "active" and seems just a natural progression, is all.

(Besides in level based game, a lot of times overleveling does get rid of difficulty, and that's not only FFXV so it's ridiculous to ridicule FFXV about it when other games did it too, it's just natural progression of stats, the only way to get rid of those is to get rid of stats altogether and with it, levels).

darkfenrir

kkslider5552000

Yeah, I don't understand this idea that Final Fantasy is somehow special in this regard, and that it's immune to standard JRPG strengths and weaknesses.

Or, being completely honest, that anyone played the classic Final Fantasy for its combat. I'm replaying FFVII, combat's fine, it's fun enough, but it doesn't matter. I'm playing for the story and characters. Duh, it's Final Fantasy. The combat really just needs to be engaging enough that you can get through bosses without feeling frustrated or bored.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Haru17

Evergreen: [The hypersensitivity open world gamers have that causes them to make loose, exaggerated, and/or baldly inaccurate criticisms of every other type of game.]

And I liked XV's combat. They could refine it and make it more responsive, but it would behove more AAA games to provide a story you could play through without (gasp!) too much difficulty, which XV also provides if one seeks it. It's a shame the campaign was such a short and padded hackjob, though. You literally get like three viewing points for what was supposed to be the final half of the game.

In any case, I'll throw Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World into the mix. I bet the against vote for this game was down to people expecting a sequel when the game itself was a new story focusing on different characters set in the same world where the old party members just kinda hang. (Which is kinda the theme of Symphonia given the whole backstory with that other RPG party.) That and people played the first hour of the game, heard Jonny Yong Bosch doing an effeminate voice for a few angsty scenes, and went to type an angry internet comment in accordance with any underlying homophobia they may have had. Anyway, the actual game is a substantial JRPG romance (long enough for people to not play to see the character arcs) with great voice talent for the two leads (Bosch and Laura Bailey). And it didn't have any little sister characters! Think of that, a Tales game without a creepy little child hanger-on! Unless you count Presea, who at least doesn't behave in that very tropey manner.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

darkfenrir

@Snaplocket I mean I played it through on kinda same level ish and didn't find it's as easy as people said.

• fighting 3 level higher hunts are also giving me enough challenges when playing.

(For note: My level was around 34 from chapter 3 until that chapter where Gladio left, and then I'm around lv55 or so until I finished the game).

Overall felt the story ones are challenging me enough, while the hunts are crazy when I tried higher leveled ones.

darkfenrir

CanisWolfred

Wow, you know...I probably would've had more of an answer to this 4 years ago, but I've stayed away from internet echo chambers long enough that I forgot about how people can have such strongly negative opinions towards otherwise-decent games while often ignoring the fact that there are plenty of far-worse examples of whatever the heck they're complaining about, even if you only pay attention to more popular sectors of gaming...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Edgeofsoul wrote:

Dragon ball Fighterz. I dunno, it's a cool game. Whenever, a Dragonball piece shows up I always see a comment where they're mouthing off bad things about it every time. Things tend to be overhated anyway with how the internet goes if something doesn't reach high expectations.

Also, trolls exist, particularly in comment sections...I think it's very important for you to understand this, seeing as you're listing a very well-received game here...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NightBeast

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 2, - it's not particularly overhated, but people still like to talk [removed] about it. It's a shame really, - since for me it's of the best SW games: intricate storyline, phylosophical ideas and immersive gameplay.

Edited on by Octane

NightBeast

FireMario887

Sonic Forces..... Ok, not really, but I have fun with it. More of a guilty pleasure really. Idk, I tend to like 3D Sonic games more, because they offer what I seek in a Sonic game, given speed right off the bat and challenged by obstacles and such to keep said speed instead of having to work for it... That's just me though. Sonic Forces has painful flaws, but I enjoy it just to have silly, speedy fun.

FireMario887

Aven

No man's sky. I wish they'd port it to the Switch, I feel it would find success here.

Aven

EvilLucario

@FireMario887 See, I think Sonic Forces is slightly overhated, but my problem with Sonic Forces is that it's just so average. It's not a complete dumpster fire, but there's nothing too outstandingly good or bad about it like Sonic 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog (which is my personal guilty pleasure game). It's just there, and the stages are really short and unfulfilling. Plus, the boost formula has been done better in past games like Generations.

I can still play it through completely fine, but I'd be bored out of my mind. At least with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, they both have such terrible elements that make me laugh every time and they reach into the "so bad it's good" territory.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.